Send Topic Print
too low (Read 116 times)
eppley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

too low
04/20/14 at 16:03:02

Lowered the front a little to much.  Anybody know the legnth of the metal tubes inside of the forks.  I had to shorten them to lower it.  But Im scrapping on turns and its scaring the nuts out of me gotta put it back to stock.  So I gotta go to the DEPOT and get some tubing but dont know how long they were before I started.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: too low
Reply #1 - 04/21/14 at 11:37:13

OUch. Sounds like the lower job was perhaps not the best method.  I dont think ive ever seen anything in home depot that would replace the inner fork tubes. They are pretty thin wall chromolly or something.

The suspension is pretty soft in stock form. Cutting the tubes just gives slack inside and makes the suspension really prone to bottoming out.  It doesnt hardly leave much resistance. Its not like modern forks where you can adjust compression and rebound on the fly and make up for stuff like that.  The better lowering method is a pain, but it makes for a better ride by compressing the spring a few inches and removing travel so it sits lower it its travel.

What exactly did you cut, the spacer?  Its not that much to buy new...

http://www.motosport.com/cruiser/oem-parts/SUZUKI/2001/SAVAGE-650-_-LS650P/FR...

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 04/21/14 at 12:17:07

If all you did was cut the spacers down, any tubing the right dia will fit- lots use pvc pipe.  To get the length, with the fork fully extended the spacer should sit about 3/4" above the top of the tube so that you have to compress the spring some to get the cap on.
That said I don't understand how you can safely lower a fork without adding a spacer to the damper.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #3 - 04/21/14 at 12:24:44

I agree, buy some new tubes from suzuki.. But why go back to stock? You just need to lower it right the next time Smiley I put alittle lower than 1½ inch spacers in mine(3cm) without cutting the metal tubes on top. Now the bke is just a bit lower, and the fork is much more solid and comfortable than when it had the long soft point from stock..

IP Logged
eppley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/21/14 at 17:28:57

No I did had a spacer to the damper rod but a post on here said to cut the tube the same length as your spacer. But I just want to put it back to stock to dangerous for me. The back is pretty low to begin with.  But just need to know how long it was

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:24:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › too low

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.