Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Right Turn Signals Won't Stay On - Bad Switch? (Read 62 times)
hydrophish
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Right Turn Signals Won't Stay On - Bad Switch?
04/20/14 at 12:51:09

Greetings, been troubleshooting this issue for days and looking for some help.

I recently installed some aftermarket bullet rear turn signals (non-LED) and a replacement flasher module to fix the fast-blink issue that immediately ensued.  The flasher is the same one from this thread: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1169825737/15

This seemed to work for a little bit, but I noticed about halfway through my first ride with this setup, my turn signals started behaving strangely.  When I switched the left signal on, the front and back would come on solid, no blink.  When I switched the right signal on, nothing at all (or a quick blip, followed by nothing at all).

I have it in the garage now, with the rear signal wires disconnected and am testing it with jumper leads.  I tried plugging the old flasher unit back in and when I engage the left turn signal switch, I get a fast blink on the left side, and when I push in the right side switch AND HOLD IT I get a normal blink.  If I let go of the switch, it goes out.  Slightly better behavior, but still not there.

I've checked all fuses and they test out fine.  I've tested out with another set of (cheaper) lights and get the same behavior.  When I use a probe, I get a hot signal from the right side only when I  hold down the right turn signal switch.  When I let it go, it goes dead.  The aftermarket lights each had two leads: a black and a red.  On each side I've got the light's black lead wired to the bike's ground wire (black with white stripe) and the light's red lead wired to the bike's green or black lead (left or right hot wire).

Is this a problem with the handlebar switch?  Did I possibly burn something out (I'm certain I've introduced at least one short in my numerous re-wire attempts).

Appreciate any help you can offer and happy to provide more details or photos if it helps.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Right Turn Signals Won't Stay On - Bad Switch?
Reply #1 - 04/20/14 at 23:42:54

Ah yes, the magically broken Savage turn signal switch... plastic switch plate and microscopic coil springs. They wear out and you end up swapping or deleting the factory switch guts.

My 2003 switch still works.

My 98 has a dual throw 20A toggle switch for the blinkers, and another one for the headlight low-off-high, since that switch broke too... they are on a stainless steel plate in front of the seat now, along with the start button, because, you guessed it, that broke as well...

Cheap plastic factory junk. The handlebar vibration kills them.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
hydrophish
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/22/14 at 15:36:10

So you think it's possible it's the switch?  Would it stay engaged on the left signal and not on the right if it was a worn out switch?  It also seems like an odd coincidence that it wore out at the same time I rewired my tail lights.  Almost seems like I burned it out with a short somehow.  Everything's wired right currently, so really puzzled at this point.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #3 - 04/22/14 at 15:45:43

sounds like you burned contacts in the handlebar switch.. be careful to disconnect all wiring you modified before installing the new handlebar switch or the new one will burn too

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:19:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Right Turn Signals Won't Stay On - Bad Switch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.