Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Screw extraction failure... (Read 79 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Screw extraction failure...
04/11/14 at 19:15:59

So after I did my fork lowering,  I went to put my front fender on and the last screw I put in somehow busted off and was stuck in the fork.   I tired using a screw extractor today,  I had the hole drilled through and I put the extractor in and hammered it in good,  and I went for one more but with the hammer and if busted off in the same spot,  and now this metal is even harder then the forks.   I spent 2 hours with a drill and nothing...  I actually went to a specialty store and got still bits meant for going through hard metal and nothing.   So I don't know what to do.   I'm not going to run a front fender with just three screws,  and I tried everything,  I even drimmeled into the fork trying to get it out with a flat head.   Am I going to have to go to some shop just to have a bolt removed   or rather a bolt extractor removed now,  or would it be better to have it drilled to a larger diameter and rethreaded?   Please help! As you can see from the picture,  I made a mess of things,  but I plan on painting my lower forks so I figure I can put some sort of filler in and paint over it...

1397268855060.jpg
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Screw extraction failure...
Reply #1 - 04/12/14 at 04:43:49

I had something similar happen on my SeaDoo a few years ago, I found a local guy who did aluminum welding.  He filled it all up and grinded the outer surface clean, then I drilled and taped it. His services cost me $70.  I later traded the SeaDoo for my S40!   Cool

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/12/14 at 10:30:57

ToesNose wrote on 04/12/14 at 04:43:49:
I had something similar happen on my SeaDoo a few years ago, I found a local guy who did aluminum welding.  He filled it all up and grinded the outer surface clean, then I drilled and taped it. His services cost me $70.  I later traded the SeaDoo for my S40!   Cool

But I need to have mine drilled and tapped,  that's the main issue.   I'll deal with getting it filled once I can actually get a screw in there.   Until then I can't run a front fender...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/12/14 at 10:44:18

MMkay,, so, for now, youre kinda up a tree. That stuff is always trouble. Snappin bolts off rarely works out smoothly, tho I have gotten lucky a time or 2 & had enough to get hold of & back out with vise grips.. The thing is, how to avoid such pain.? What did ya learn? Do you remember what it felt like just before it died?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kochic

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

st-jean-de-matha, qc
Reply #4 - 04/12/14 at 10:57:55

I usually remove broken bolts or studs by welding a nut to it.The heat from the weld help to loosen the bolt.
With the welder i dont use easy-out anymore, except for grease fitting.
Marc

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/12/14 at 17:54:50

You might want to take it to a machine shop.  Many shops use an EDM (electric discharge machine) to remove broken taps and drills from small holes.

If I broke off an easy out I would first try to rotate it out with the corner of a cold chisel.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:30:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Screw extraction failure...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.