IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Oil change
Reply #1 - 04/10/14 at 12:49:57

2.5 qts if you change the filter 1.9 quarts if you don't. But these numbers are appx. You need an owners manual and you need to learn how to check it.

owners manual: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1138554254

The answers to your other questions are in there. My advice - get aquainted with the basics first before you change the pipe and get involved in rejetting. These bikes are pretty easy to work on but you can get youself in trouble if you get in over your head right off the bat.

IP Logged
tcp29
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/10/14 at 13:27:48

Thank you so much for the help and advice.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/11/14 at 10:18:06

Some  have added oil till they could Juuuust see it at the bottom of the window while it was on the sidestand. Others use a 2X4 under the stand to get it a bit closer to vertical, some get on a knee & pull the bike up, others use a mirror & sit on the bike & check it..
No one ever reported foaming/ oil hitting the crank when they added oil to bring it to the bottom of the window,.,More oil = better cooling & mental comfort. It doesnt take much oil used to drop it in the window pretty quick,, If youre planning on running the Big Road for an hour, you mite want to haul some oil.Once youve had it a while, watched how it uses oil, then youll know when to haul oil. I saw my oil use change as the miles added up on an oil change,, New oil, didnt use oil much, but once there was 1,500 miles or so on that oil I started seeing oil use increase. I changed oil when I saw oil use change enough.,.Once it had 10,000 miles on it I never ran it 3,000 before an oil change, 2,000 to 2,500 was more like it,.,BUt hey! Ya dont hafta change the filter every time,, that filter isnt loaded with crud after that many miles,, & some Rotella T costs about $13.00/gallon, so, gonna spend less than $8.00 to dump & refill the oil,,a filter every other change or every 3rd,, meeeh,, not expensive maintenance,,The big $$$ is keeping a rear tire on it,, Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 04/11/14 at 19:34:26

After I change the oil I always let it idle till it gets warm.  I give it 3-5 minutes to let the oil naturally drain back into the oil pan.  Then I use a level across the seat and then I check it from there.  For me it’s just a bit of peace of mind.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
jgrandmont
YaBB Newbies

Buzzards Bay, MA
Reply #5 - 04/12/14 at 10:31:46

I just changed the oil in my '09. I used 2 full quarts, which seemed to put the level in the window mid-way between the lines. Also had a tiny bit left over in an old bottle and added that, just for good measure.  Smiley

'09 Suzuki Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:23:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.