Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neutral Light - 1998 Savage (Read 134 times)
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Neutral Light - 1998 Savage
04/10/14 at 08:17:38

I thought I had asked this question before but can't find it.  Anyway, I have a 1998 Suzuki Savage and my green neutral light it not working.  Everything works except that little green light.  I've never taken off the gas tank.  Is it that difficult to do?  Any idea what might be causing the light not to work?  The bulb burned out? A wire broken or something?  If so, what wire might be broken?  Yeah, I'm not too mechanical by any means so any help would be appreciated.  I might not even do anything about it though but I'm a little OCD and hate when something doesn't work!  LOL!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Neutral Light - 1998 Savage
Reply #1 - 04/10/14 at 08:40:11

Might want to look up "speedo rattle" and look at the pic's for removal of tank there and you will be able to see where the lights are behind the gages.

I removed the tank and fixed my speedometer rattle, the lights should be a twist and remove type...not sure though... I didn't mess with the light sockets. But following the rattle fix will get you to the sockets for the lights.

Hopefully someone that has replaced one can help, i'll look around and see if I can find a link.

Here is the link for fixing the rattle, if you scroll down you will be able to see where the lights are behind the speedo... they are at the top and are held in by two small Phillips screws, well the bracket is anyway.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1392577577

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/10/14 at 09:25:50

The Neutrual light is actived by a switch inside the right case - when the bike is in neutral the switch gounds the circuit and turns the light on.

If you want to test the switch.....start the bike with the kickstand down.  Leave the kickstand down and put the bike in gear.  If the engine shuts off....then you know the neutrals switch and safety circuit is workings.  (Unless someone has disabled your kick stand switch).

If the test for the switch confirms the switch is working - then it is time to see if the bulb is any good.

Where in Ohio are you located?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #3 - 04/10/14 at 10:25:49

The motorcycle won't start with the kickstand down.  It runs just fine and I know when it's in neutral...I just like the light to come on.  Smiley

I'm in the Dayton area.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/10/14 at 12:32:03

Beagle wrote on 04/10/14 at 10:25:49:
The motorcycle won't start with the kickstand down.  It runs just fine and I know when it's in neutral...I just like the light to come on.  Smiley

I'm in the Dayton area.

The motorcycle should start with the kickstand down as long as you pull in the clutch in and the engine is in neutral - but if you put the motorcycle in gear with the kick stand down the engine should stall.  First confirm that the engine stalls if you try and put the bike in gear while the kickstand is down.

I live in the Northern Kentucky area, just across the river from Cincinnati.  If you get down this way I would be happy to help you figure this out.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #5 - 04/11/14 at 20:18:54

Thanks Dave!  I don't get down that way to often but I appreciate the offer!  Smiley

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #6 - 04/22/14 at 06:31:50

I was able to get the gas tank off (pretty easy actually).   I checked the neutral light bulb and it looked alright but I put a new bulb in (one that I know worked) and it still didn't come on.  So, I'm guessing it's a short in the wire somewhere.  I decided it wasn't worth trying to fix it.  The motorcycle runs fine but just no green neutral light...no big deal.  Thanks though for the help guys!

IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #7 - 07/03/14 at 15:28:28

What number bulb did you put in? I put some led t5 push bulbs in and they keep going out. The guys at the auto store think its a 194, but the 194 look a little big compared to the stock bulbs

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #8 - 07/05/14 at 16:20:43

I don't remember what size bulb it was but I even tried using one of the turn signal bulbs.  I'm sure it's got to be a short somewhere since I had to replace the speedometer and I find it hard to believe the neutral light on that speedometer is also bad.

I am no electrician and can't tell if the blue cable, used for the neutral light, is connected properly.  I have an Ohmmeter but really don't know how to use it properly.   Yeah I am hopeless!  LOL!  

It would be nice to have to green neutral light working but not a life or death thing that I can't get it working.  I don't want to spend hours and hours trying to figure it out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:28:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Neutral Light - 1998 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.