Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Battery Fail
04/07/14 at 07:56:42

I just wanted to post this experience for others to consider when their bike battery acts up and the bike won't start.

In November I bought a used Honda ST1100.  The bike has run and started like a Honda.....hit the button and it goes....no problem.

Yesterday I rode up to the hardware store and got some grass seed, then rode down to the Circle K to put some gas in the bike and get a gallon for the mower.  After fueling up I turned on the key....and nothing happened.  The lights were just barely a glimmer...and as soon as I hit the starter button the glimmer of the lights went out.  I checked all the fuses...and they were fine.  I got a battery jump from a fellow at the station and the bike fired right up....and all the lights were working fine.  I took a long ride home so the battery could charge.

When I got home I turned the bike off, and then turned the key back on....and nothin'.  I put a Battery Tender on....and it showed the battery was fully charged. Shocked

I then tried a battery charger....and it showed the bike fully charged. Shocked

I put a volt meter on the battery and it showed 12.3 volts - but when you turned the key to "ON" the battery instantly dropped to 4 volts as it tried to power the headlight and instrument lights.  With the key OFF I hooked the battery up to an old charger that does not have all the fancy maintainer circuitry....and it never showed any current going to the battery.  With the bike running the charging circuit is working fine, and I never could get the battery to take a charge from any battery charger that I own.  I removed the battery and was surprised to see a Honda logo on it, and when I contacted the previous owner I found out this was an original 2000 model year battery!  I ordered a new Yuasa battery from Bike Bandit this morning.

Some things I have read on this forum that I have now experienced first hand:

Never assume your battery is good and not worthy of being tested since it worked yesterday.....or for the last 14 years!  A battery can go from working to not working in as little as 3 miles and 5 minutes.  Even a new battery can fail, the first one I bought for my Savage went bad in 2 weeks and would not hold a charge.
A Battery Tender will not charge a dead battery, or give any indication that a battery has gone from working to being junk.
A battery can show good voltage when not under load - but fail miserably when it comes time to start the bike or power the ignition.
An onboard voltmeter on the bike would have instanly identified the dead battery issue....and I would not have spent 10 minutes checking fuses.  Not sure is that is a worthwhile accessory when the bike went for 14 years without an issue..........

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Battery Fail
Reply #1 - 04/07/14 at 08:37:46

I replace car batteries for folks all the time that behave exactly as you describe. 6-7 years old. Start the car just fine - go to the store - come out of the store - deader than a doornail. No warning. Instant junk.

Happened to me not too long ago. Original battery in 8 year old car. I think this is the normal failure mode for the newer, sealed batteies. They just suddenly drop dead, instead of slowly petering out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/07/14 at 10:54:27

Ohh, DANG!! I just read that & went for a shower,, I had a good look in the mirror,, I think Im a sealed unit!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/07/14 at 11:54:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/07/14 at 10:54:27:
Ohh, DANG!! I just read that & went for a shower,, I had a good look in the mirror,, I think Im a sealed unit!

Naaah...Your not a sealed unit.  You got to add water occasionally....and then there is that occasional "outgassing" that occurs.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 04/07/14 at 13:26:35

Dave wrote on 04/07/14 at 11:54:36:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/07/14 at 10:54:27:

Naaah...Your not a sealed unit.  You got to add water occasionally....and then there is that occasional "outgassing" that occurs.

Yeah and that's why "sealed units" go bad and their sides bulge...they can never "outgas" Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 04/07/14 at 14:58:16

Yeppers. Happened to me a couple weeks ago. The bike started fine after I changed the petcock, I drove it to the gas station to fill up and when I tried to start it... NOTHING.  I pushed the bike to the parking lot and let the clerk know it was going to sit overnight, pulled the battery and it tested dead. Finicky little pieces of equipment...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/21/14 at 06:49:18

Off topic replies have been moved to this thread.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 04/21/14 at 20:18:42

Dave, your problem was probably what is called a "dead cell" or "shorted cell". I had a $75 Yuasa for only a year before it died. It took a charge and showed as much, but immediately showed bad by tester when under load. Warranty was out, so my guy recommended a Parts Unlimited battery with a 2 yr warranty for $53. So far, so good. Wanted a Shorai, but was short on funds when my Yuasa quit.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/22/14 at 04:42:01

Boofer wrote on 04/21/14 at 20:18:42:
Dave, your problem was probably what is called a "dead cell" or "shorted cell". Smiley

Don't know the reason....but I went from having an intimate riding affair to an inanimate riding affair in the span of 3 minutes and 1 stop for gas.  The battery never showed any symptoms prior to that event......even though it was the original 13 year old battery.  I just bought the bike in December, and had no idea it was sportin' the original battery!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:22:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › Battery Fail

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.