Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Aftermarket spokes (stainless steel or chrome)? (Read 175 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Aftermarket spokes (stainless steel or chrome)?
04/06/14 at 15:47:09

I want to redo my front and rear spokes from the crap galvanized steel to either stainless or chrome.   I've found many different sets but don't know the exact dimensions besides the front is 19 inch and 36 spokes and rear is 15 inch with  36 also.   Please If you could post the other dimensions I need and especially if you have any links to them (best deal possible for a budget)  that would be great!   Thanks guys.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Aftermarket spokes (stainless steel or chrome)
Reply #1 - 04/06/14 at 18:22:12

Buchanan's Rim and Spoke has the information they need to make you spokes, and they have stainless or chrome.  Their spokes run about $ 100 a wheel.

I am not sure there are any other sources....the Savage is a low production bike and does not have an excess of aftermarket companies making things.....like spoke sets....for the Savage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 04/06/14 at 23:03:35

If you are going to respoke the wheels, order a 16" rear hoop and conversion spokes. Trust me, the extra cash up front will be the best money you EVER spend on your Savage. Opens up your tire choices from a dozen (maybe) to hundreds...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Reply #3 - 04/06/14 at 23:23:23

yeah ordering my rear rim and spokes from Buchanan next week. Well, actually sending my rear hub off to them to have lace and trued. The front is getting a 21" rim but that comes with the springer kit.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/07/14 at 11:24:44

Yeah I saw that Buchanan's makes them but I can't spend $100 about wheel,  the reason I posted this is because I Googled 19 inch stainless steel spokes and found kits for as low as $50.  I just need to know the gauge of our spokes and the info about the wheel and hub so I can try and find a cheaper pair.   If I was going to spend $100 (EACH) just to get spokes and that doesn't even cover lacing them up,  then I'd rather just buy compatible used rimmed wheels and if just get them powder coated or something...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/07/14 at 12:02:31

uigiroux wrote on 04/07/14 at 11:24:44:
 I just need to know the gauge of our spokes and the info about the wheel and hub so I can try and find a cheaper pair.  

The Savage front hub is a bit weird....the spokes are all inners - but with different bend angles. One spoke has to cross over top of another spoke - so the bends have to have different lengths. The front wheel spokes may only be avaible as a custom set from Buchanans....I doubt that anybody else makes them in advance.

The rear spokes are probably just like Suzuki GT380 or GT550 or some of the GS bikes if you are switching to an 18" rim.....but not for a 15" rim.  Once again.....I doubt that anybody but Buchanans will have something that works.

I am not trying to talk you out of getting them elsewhere cheaper....I just don't know where that would be.  You mill most likely just have to take out the spokes, measure them, and then provide the information to someone who can make you the spokes you need.

IMG_0575.JPG

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/07/14 at 12:11:38

Dave wrote on 04/07/14 at 12:02:31:
uigiroux wrote on 04/07/14 at 11:24:44:
 I just need to know the gauge of our spokes and the info about the wheel and hub so I can try and find a cheaper pair.  

The Savage front hub is a bit weird....the spokes are all inners - but with different bend angles. One spoke has to cross over top of another spoke - so the bends have to have different lengths. The front wheel spokes may only be avaible as a custom set from Buchanans....I doubt that anybody else makes them in advance.

The rear spokes are probably just like Suzuki GT380 or GT550 or some of the GS bikes if you are switching to an 18" rim.....but not for a 15" rim.  Once again.....I doubt that anybody but Buchanans will have something that works.

So with that being the case,  what rimmed tires could I use.   I'm pretty sure I've sv a few different people using the early 80's GS550 wheels.   Ironically I actually put a down payment to reserve an 81 GS550 but found my Savage (5 years old with 83 miles on it for a steal).   I really don't want to spend so much just for spokes if I can fit something like the GS550 wheels and probably do so for cheaper and less hassle...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/07/14 at 12:40:56

I am not sure anything is a "bolt on" for the cast wheels.  The disc brakes and pulley mount become issues that need to be solved.  Verslagen and a few others have done it.....not sure you are going to do it for less than spoking a couple of wheels.

Here is one thread on the subject.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366486692

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/07/14 at 12:50:25

GS series wheels can be had, but finding a good set is another thing.
Corrosion probably being the biggest issue, damage another.

Spoked sets are rare until you start going with older wheels.

WWW   IP Logged
kochic

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

st-jean-de-matha, qc
Reply #9 - 04/07/14 at 14:15:47

I ordered two set of custom spokes from buchanan last year.
1.91 per spoke and 1.22 per nipple, all in stainless.
nice workmanship, you just need to tell what hub and rim you have and they will send you spokes that fit.
Marc

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/07/14 at 14:17:16

verslagen1 wrote on 04/07/14 at 12:50:25:
GS series wheels can be had, but finding a good set is another thing.
Corrosion probably being the biggest issue, damage another.

Spoked sets are rare until you start going with older wheels.

Which specifically would work that you know of,  and are they a direct bolt on fit or does some trimming of the hub or something like that need to be done?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/07/14 at 14:50:47

uigiroux wrote on 04/07/14 at 14:17:16:
Which specifically would work that you know of,  and are they a direct bolt on fit or does some trimming of the hub or something like that need to be done?

No specifics unless you want cast wheels... so be specific in your request.
In other words, I don't know if you're talking cast or spoked.

If spoked, IDK.  Best to visit your local scrap heap and find something you could live with.

If cast, I have to look up what I bought.  But it will be an early 80's GS550 w/a modified GS450 disk.  Rear drum and pulley direct swap (for me). the year does make a difference as others b!tched continuously as nothing fit right.

WWW   IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/07/14 at 15:08:09

verslagen1 wrote on 04/07/14 at 14:50:47:
uigiroux wrote on 04/07/14 at 14:17:16:

No specifics unless you want cast wheels... so be specific in your request.
In other words, I don't know if you're talking cast or spoked.

If spoked, IDK.  Best to visit your local scrap heap and find something you could live with.

If cast, I have to look up what I bought.  But it will be an early 80's GS550 w/a modified GS450 disk.  Rear drum and pulley direct swap (for me). the year does make a difference as others b!tched continuously as nothing fit right.

I want to do the cast wheels from the Gs550.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/07/14 at 15:22:45

uigiroux wrote on 04/07/14 at 15:08:09:
I want to do the cast wheels from the Gs550.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1205292181

WWW   IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/07/14 at 16:21:37

So for the front I need a (79-82) GS550 wheel but swap the rotor with one from a GS450,  then mod my wheel spacers and a few other things accordingly.   One thing I'm confused on for the front is that on eBay all the 550 wheels I've seen are only 1.85 inches wide,  not the 2+ (I don't remember exactly what the other thread posted for the front,  so is there something I'm missing here?

For the rear wheel I need a 79-82 GS550 wheel and then I'm confused,  I've read that both the sprocket hub and brake side hub are a direct fit,  while others are saying conflicting things.   Could I get some clarification?

One thing that sends apparent is it has to be a 79-82 year part as 83-present they changed things up.

So am I on the right track?   What am I getting right and what am I missing?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:11:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aftermarket spokes (stainless steel or chrome)?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.