Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Whale (Read 3953 times)
Onederer
Ex Member

Whale
03/11/08 at 20:23:00

I just got the front wheel done, and took it for a short ride. The swap was mostly straight foward. Took a little off the spacers, had the O.D. of the rotor turned down, and spaced the caliper 5.5mm. I'll wait a week or so till I start on the rear, and it's looking like I'm gonna do a chain conversion, just to make the swap a little easier, unless once I get started, I find adapting the pulley won't be too involved.

A couple days earlier, I moved the voltage regulator to the muffler bracket. I'm thinking the reg being under the seat was causeing it to overheat and letting the battery overcharge and dry out. Only had to lenghten two wires. The other yellow wires were easily re-routed. I did'nt cut any wires, just unpluged them from the factory conector, added some extra length, crimped on some factory style terminals, and pluged everything back in. There was some discoloring on the fender under the reg, that seems to be from heat(yellowing of the finish).

« Last Edit: 04/06/13 at 11:50:01 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Whale
Reply #1 - 03/11/08 at 21:13:45

good job! - the fender looks full what size is the front - fills it like a 110/90-19

IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/12/08 at 07:24:14

Outstanding! Looks great!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/12/08 at 07:57:03

I'm green with envy

What did you do with the disk?  
I didn't think it would fit in the savage caliper.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 03/12/08 at 08:16:13

Very nice!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/12/08 at 08:52:14

The tire is a 100/90, but I thought the origional tire filled the fender more. The disc is a GS solid rotor. I just had the O.D. turned down to match the O.D. of the Savage rotor. The Savage has a min thickness of 4mm and the GS is 4.5. My pads had just a little wear, but the thicker GS rotor fit in real easy, and I don't think new pads will cause any problems.If anyone was concerned about it, they could just have the rotor thickness machined down to that of the factory rotor, there is plenty of meat. I used the GS rotor because it has a lot of offset, which after I got the axle spacers rite, only required the caliper to be spaced in 5.5mm. This really is a easy thing to do, just took me a lot of test fits with the axle spacers because I had nothing to go by. I think anyone that can remove and replace the wheel should be able to do this. My cost was less the $100 for everything involed, but I was already running a tubless tire on front, so if someone bought a new tire at the same time, cost should be $200 or less. One thing that is really important, is if anyone decides to have the wheel powder coated, to not have the O.D. of the wheel hub where the rotor goes, powdered, otherwise the rotor won't go on. I'm not completely sure how much I took off of the axle spacers, because I got busy trying to fit it, any lost track of the measurments. I scribbled some things down, but I don't think they're correct. BTW, there was'tn any modifications to the bearings, they are allready the rite size, ditto for the rear wheel I'll be using.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 03/12/08 at 08:58:17

Absolutely outstanding! Love the look! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/12/08 at 09:28:45

I got a wheel set from a GS650 GL.  Front and rear disks incl'd  Grin
I have the calipers for both as well, and rear master.   Grin
Just no time to mess with it.   :'(
I thought the disk was about twice as thick as the savage, but now I'll have to measure it.  I hope it was an optical illusion.  Or you got a skinny disk off of what GS?

WWW   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 03/12/08 at 19:03:16

Dammit, now you have me thinking about how I can fit the mags off of my 850 onto the 650.  If I didn't have plans to bob it (the 650), I would have the wheels off of both tomorrow evening.  That looks outstanding, I like it very much.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/12/08 at 19:04:58

The disc I used came off a 450GS. I have some from a 550?, but they have the cooling slots, and after being machined, some of the slots would've been cut into. There seems to be quite a few GS wheels and parts that will interchange. I just used these wheels because I won't have to mod the rear brake in any way.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/13/08 at 17:31:02

WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #11 - 03/15/08 at 07:22:20

that looks really good. could you post a side shot of the whole bike? what was the weight difference between spoked and cast wheels?

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/15/08 at 09:14:51

rigidchop wrote on 03/15/08 at 07:22:20:
that looks really good. could you post a side shot of the whole bike? what was the weight difference between spoked and cast wheels?

Thanks. I'll post a whole side pic of the bike when I get the rear done.Kinda like a grand unveiling.  I think the weight is close to same, but the mass is more centalized on the cast wheel. I only guessed weight difference on wheels by holding them without rotor, and tire on each, and both felt close. The difference is the tube and rotors. The GS rotor I used weighs more than the standard Savage, but the Savage rotor and tube combined more than make up for the difference. I used a bungie cord to hang these from, then measured the distance to the floor, crude, but it showed the Savage rotor and tube combined, weigh 4" more  Roll Eyes. Loosing the tube helps centralize the mass, and should allow for an acceleration increase. I did'nt have an accurate scale, so it would be interesting to really know the wieght difference. If the whole set up is lighter, then the whole suspension should also work better.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #13 - 03/15/08 at 10:56:06

imho mags on a motorcycle are just wrong. mags along with windshields belong on a cage.  Cheesy

but i've always said.  'whatever floats your boat", if it works for you then hey go for it.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/15/08 at 11:23:21

sluggo wrote on 03/15/08 at 10:56:06:
imho mags on a motorcycle are just wrong. mags along with windshields belong on a cage.  Cheesy

but i've always said.  'whatever floats your boat", if it works for you then hey go for it.  

Wish there were "mags", then they would be even lighter, but they're just cast aluminum. I like the nice color flames mags make when they're on fire, and how there is nothing anyone can do to put them out, just watch. I wonder how many VW Beetle's have actually had a leaking carb that caused those lovely mag cases to show their tru colors?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 21:50:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Whale

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.