YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cranking Problems
Reply #30 - 04/06/14 at 21:13:48

get a voltmeter and check the voltage while you're starting.
if it drops below 10 it aint gonna start.

WWW   IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #31 - 04/06/14 at 21:18:08

I did already do that, but I'm doing it again to be sure my battery is at full charge and plug is still firing. I have checked fuel flow to carb only, I don't know if it's stopping there or not. As far as timing, the bike ran fine when I put it up besides the tapping (from the tensioner) and that every now and then it would die unless I ran it on prime (I assumed the stock petcock was causing this). Changed those two things and this is where I am.

IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #32 - 04/06/14 at 21:20:28

I'll check that voltage too tomorrow.

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #33 - 04/07/14 at 01:46:38

AFter you check the voltage.....get yourself a can of start gas/ether and a FRESH plug. The one you have must have been totally drenched during your efforts.

Seriously - change it, and donīt crank the engine just yet. Hereīs a sure-fire way to troubleshoot this:

Close the petcock. Pull the supply hose between the petcock and carb. DRAIN the carb (loosen the screw underneath the float bowl) to prevent any stale or contaminated gas to reach the engine. Push the choke lever all the way in.

Now, take the air filter off to get access to the inlet of the carb. Lift the slider to about half throttle, and stick a 10mm drill bit into the carb, just far enough to keep the slider quarter-way  open or so. Switch ignition on, spray a 2 second squirt as far as you can into the inlet opening, under the slider. Then crank it.

(Start gas will fire under the most crappy compression conditions, and for the tiniest spark, and in a totally oiled up cylinder, even with the decomp valve partly open.)

If it wonīt fire at all with a FRESH plug, your ignition timing is off a lot for some reason. If it backfires, and refuses to run properly for a second or two, it may be off a tooth or so. If it runs properly for a second...and fires up properly if you repeat the above a couple of times, all is well with the timing and plug.

..take the drill bit  out. Reconnect the fuel hose, make sure the vacuum hose is ok and connected and put the petcock on PRI for 4-5 secs, then close it. That should give you gas enough in the float bowl to try again without drenching the carb. Stay off the choke. Crank it at practically no throttle.

Any results? Start? Cool. Now you know it was the plug all along.

No start? From there, itīs a carb cleaning job and time to swap the gas in the tank. Gas gets stale in 3-4 months over here, especially low-price stuff.

(Been there, wasted one month and a lot of cash by looking in the wrong places)

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 04/07/14 at 07:14:07

Ohh yea, I was chasing a hard start, wouldnt rev up[ when I gave it gas, it would gag & die.. I changed the gas.. new bike..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #35 - 04/09/14 at 17:46:50

Status update: checked decomp, it was a little tight but still some play. I loosened it some anyway. I just followed the how to in the tech section. Didn't make any difference. Tried the new plug, open carb thing. Engine still the same, won't run. Pulled the carb and cleaned everything. Put it all back, same thing. Still turns over but won't run. I'm lost... Do you think it may be timing? How do I check that?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #36 - 04/09/14 at 19:25:42

Sounding more and more to me like one of the safety switches is keeping it from starting.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 04/09/14 at 19:27:49

safety switches won't let it crank either.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 04/09/14 at 19:31:33

mhart731 wrote on 04/09/14 at 17:46:50:
Do you think it may be timing? How do I check that?

If it's timing you gotta really big problem... not much can go wrong there except a bad black box... you got spark, leave it alone.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #39 - 04/09/14 at 19:44:48

verslagen1 wrote on 04/09/14 at 19:27:49:
safety switches won't let it crank either.

It sounds like it is cranking over, just not firing up and running. From what I saw when I replaced my chain tensioner, I don't think you can mess up timing doing that. (I could be wrong...)

I'd try different choke settings too.  Try starter fluid without the choke pulled out and maybe half way pulled out instead of all the way.

Once you figure this out it's probably going to be a forehead slapper for everyone.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 04/09/14 at 19:58:39

check the float level.
easy way if you got a drain nipple is to attach a clear tube to it hold it up next to the carb and open the drain.  gas should come up the the gasket with bike level.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #41 - 04/09/14 at 20:31:13

verslagen1 wrote on 04/09/14 at 19:58:39:
check the float level.
easy way if you got a drain nipple is to attach a clear tube to it hold it up next to the carb and open the drain.  gas should come up the the gasket with bike level.

Ah, cool... the same principle as a water level we use in construction.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #42 - 04/10/14 at 05:44:26

Checking and re-checking the same things - fuel,spark,battery,starter motor - once you are satisfied they are OK isn't going to fix this.
Forget ignition timing - there is nothing you can do about it and if the plug fires at all it is not likely the issue.

You need to check the valves.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1325991352

Don't worry so much about the exact clearance right now, but make sure you can wiggle both rocker arms a little bit when the engine is at TDC on the compression stroke. That tells you that all four valves are closed when they should be. If you can't  wiggle them then something happened when the cam chain adjuster came apart and you are going to have to figure out what.

If you can wiggle both rockers and the clearance is close to spec. 0.003in-0.005in on all four valves then -again assuming good fuel, spark  good battery etc.- there is no reason I can think of for the engine NOT to start.

IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #43 - 04/10/14 at 07:26:27

I think we found the problem. At TDC the rocker arms don't budge.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #44 - 04/10/14 at 07:45:03

Rotate 360' and check again...
You're probably not on the compression stroke...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cranking Problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.