Send Topic Print
shifter adjustment (Read 129 times)
Darrel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

shifter adjustment
04/27/14 at 05:47:28

Old biker new Savage owner. After 54 years riding and several surgeries downsizing to a Savage. Have always liked looks and seemed a good finisher bike for me. Anyway on to my question. Having limited motion in my left ankle find it hard to get toe under shifter. Is there any reason I can't simply index shifter arm a spline or two to raise shifter a little bit? after looking at options this seems to be easiest method. I figured with all the knowledge out here someone would have run across this issue. Searched forums and only found question regarding slop in linkage. Thanks in advance. Darrel

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: shifter adjustment
Reply #1 - 04/27/14 at 06:02:14

http://www.bikebandit.com/2006-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650/o/m147605#sch512178

Look at part #38 on the diagram. The easiest way to raise or lower the shift lever is to lengthen or shorten that rod. Loosen the locknuts and spin the rod whichever way you need to, to put the shift lever where you want it. One end of the rod is right hand thread,The other is left hand. Works just like the turnbuckle on an old time screen door or on a fence gate.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 04/27/14 at 08:39:39

Darrel, don't know what your fabrication skills are, but I drew up something for you to consider.

I have had the idea in my head and have drawn it up several times but never made one, several folks have had left foot issues.

If anyone here can fab up something like this it could be a potential income vrs the heel toe shifts.

Just weld it on or clamp it on, and make it tall enough to put your boot in between the two pegs.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 04/27/14 at 09:04:43

old_rider wrote on 04/27/14 at 08:39:39:
Darrel, don't know what your fabrication skills are, but I drew up something for you to consider.

I have had the idea in my head and have drawn it up several times but never made one, several folks have had left foot issues.

If anyone here can fab up something like this it could be a potential income vrs the heel toe shifts.

Just weld it on or clamp it on, and make it tall enough to put your boot in between the two pegs.
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b471/Orphistle/shiftassist.jpg

Medium or large L bracket form the hardware store, toe peg from the local chopper shop or online retailer of choice. Drill a couple holes, cut off the stock shift peg, bolt the thing together. No need to weld. Look where the Simpson Strong Tie products are kept in your local hardware store, you want t least 1/16" thick, 1/8" would be better.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 04/27/14 at 09:09:14

I was thinking to just clamp it on and weld it if it turns out to be likeable.  No need to cut off main peg, just use the add-on to pull up and the regular peg to push down with your boot toe in between.... would be a learning curve, but should work.

I might fab one up this week and see what it will feel like....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 04/27/14 at 09:13:42

old_rider wrote on 04/27/14 at 09:09:14:
I was thinking to just clamp it on and weld it if it turns out to be likeable.  No need to cut off main peg, just use the add-on to pull up and the regular peg to push down with your boot toe in between.... would be a learning curve, but should work.

Now, that's a cool idea. Put up some pics and a review if you do it!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/27/14 at 09:25:21

old_rider wrote on 04/27/14 at 09:09:14:

Just got measured for new motor patrol boots... 14EEEEE in proper boot socks, the thick ones... the stock peg would be in the way. Currently wear a 13EE in thin socks.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/27/14 at 10:24:41

Dayumm! You better Slow Down if youre gonna walk thru a mud puddle,,
YOu could hydroplane at anything over 2 MPH..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 04/27/14 at 11:51:32

Quote:
Is there any reason I can't simply index shifter arm a spline or two to raise shifter a little bit?

I adjusted mine about an 3/4 of an inch to make it lower.  There's a pretty good amount of room for adjustment if you play with the rod a bit.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Darrel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/28/14 at 14:23:34

Thanks for all replies all have given me something to think about. Think I have figured it out. A very helpful and friendly group. I have good fabricating skills and equipment. If my current idea works well I will post it here in hopes I can benefit someone else. Again thanks to everyone. Darrel

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 04/29/14 at 09:06:08

Was messin' around with the idea I drew up....

Our savage/s40 shifter is a bent shape (angle), but not hard to match if you take some time.

You will have to actually lower the current peg to make the add-on one I have suggested because lifting your foot from the already low position is easy (just makes it hard for someone who can't push their foot down), but raising your foot would be a bit of a strain.

Going to have to put couple of my metal pieces together as they are a little thin to be using to push and pull the gear lever with. Or simple go get some thicker metal ( I don't have any laying about). I used up the last of my thick metal mounting the tour pack.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 04/29/14 at 09:18:40

YOu can save $$$ on materials by buying from a scrap metal recycler,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Darrel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/09/14 at 15:51:03

Thought I would give you update on my shifter issues perhaps what I found will help others. I tried several times to move the position of shifter but still wasn't getting it to work. I was sitting staring at it when my wife walked in to garage and put it in perspective for me. She said it looked like it was made for a girls foot, light bulb goes on my feet are gonna remain big shifter is actually hitting just in front of my ankle so not much movement there I need to use my toes. I make several attempts cutting out an extension to clamp to shifter. Still not quite right. I buy a shifter on ebay and sit down and look at it. I keep working on different angles cutting 3/16 steel with plasma cutter. Felt I was close so tried clamping it on. Now I have new problem clamps don't hold securely so I drill shifter and extension now it's secure. bolt on but not quite there. I cut it and change angle weld it up and about 3/4 inch high. Tired of cutting stuff so weld on tab dropping shifter peg needed amount. Looks a little crude but if it continues to work I now know how to make one that looks better out of one piece of steel. I am attatching a couple pics so you can see what I came up with. Area of weld is approximately where shift peg was originally. Again I want to thank all who put in their two cents. Darrel Hmm pics won't load must be too big. Anyone who thinks this might help them contact me and I will email directly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shifter adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.