Cranking Problems (Read 427 times)
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Re: Cranking Problems
Reply #15 - 04/05/14 at 22:06:51

I drove it very little last summer. It would die unless I ran it on prime and it made a terrible tapping noise. As soon as I found this site and figured out the problems I parked it. It sat for about 4 months but still would crank while it was parked. About a month ago I got a verslavy and a raptor petcock. I started with the tensioner. Drained the oil. Tied the bike off and loosened the plates that hold the foot pegs took small muffler guard off on the right side. Removed entire exhaust in one piece. Oil filter cover off then clutch cover off. Replaced tensioner and gasket. Clutch cover back on. New oil filter in and cover on. Broke a bolt on clutch cover from using a torque wrench too big so I waited until I got some replacement bolts and a smaller wrench then put the last bolt in. Exhaust and guard back on then tightened those bolts for the kickstand/foot pegs. Next I did the raptor mod. The gas was already drained so I just took those two bolts out of the tank and put the new petcock in with the white filters in the ends of the tubes inside the tank. Tightened that back down. Cut the vacuum hose shorter and put a small bolt in it with a hose clamp to seal it. Filled the tank with gas and the engine with oil. I followed the post about filling the oil on the stand until you can barely see it in the window. took my battery off the charger and hooked that up. Tried to crankit and found the battery to be completely dead. Bought a new battery and charged it. Put it on and tried to crank it. Engine turned over but I notice I had an oil leak around the front of the engine in the seam of the clutch cover. I tightened the bolts close to it but it still seeped out. So I pulled the exhaust again after draining the oil. Took the cover off and put a little sealant on both sides of the gasket. Replaced the cover and torqued the bolts (I marked the ones with rubber washers and the longers ones) to 60, then all to 80 then to 95. Put the exhaust back and tightened everything back down. While waiting on this to set, I changed the handle bars. Went from z bars with 6" rise and all stock cables to plain drag bars. Also I made sure the gas was off the entire time so it didn't flood the engine.  About 36 hours after putting the sealant on I put the battery back on and tried cranking it. Hate to be so simple but I want to cover all my bases. Key is on, bike is in neutral, clutch pulled, run switch on, gas to on position, choke all the way out. Hit the start switch and the starter turns the engine over and it turns over fast. This is where my problem is. The only way I know how to describe it is the bike sounds like its just about to run, but it just keeps turning over and won't actually run. Plug is sparking too.

Now I'm not a "mechanic" but I do have a general knowledge of mechanics. I can turn a wrench and make things fit. But I don't know much about compression valves or carb floats or anything like that. That's why I'm here. If somebody can point me in the right direction I can find and hopefully fix it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 04/05/14 at 23:03:01

sorry to put you thru that, way more then I expected, or have come to expect.  At least I can put my esp cap aside.   Grin

I don't think it was anything you did, but maybe your original problem wasn't fixed.

The terrible tapping noise, may be the decomp cam smacking on the rocker.  open the exhaust valve inspection port and check the cam.  you'll need to be on the right side to see it.  And you might try just loosening the decomp cable.  This cable has to have slack in it.  If it's tight at all, it won't work right.  Take a peek and let us know.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 04/05/14 at 23:13:45

EDIT- sorry I took so long on this post, Versy got a post in ahead of me.   Try his decomp check first...

Okay..
Battery is good.. it is powering the starter... and the engine is turning over at adequate speed...
It sounds like the petcock is good... it's a Raptor, it's set to ON, and the vac line is plugged...the carb is getting fuel...
The engine is turning, so nothing is obstructing rotation in the clutch case... (I'm guessing at the torque... those are inch pounds ?... but, nothing stripped out, and nothing is leaking)...

We're down to basics...
I'd recommend that you double check every connection you can find under the seat and tank...
Then,.. it's spark, fuel, air, compression,

You said you are getting fuel, and spark... air hasn't changed...
That leaves compression...  rings. valves, decomp,...
Rings haven't changed...
check that there is some slack in the decomp cable...
If you haven't removed the head cover, or taken off the camchain entirely, the valves should be okay...

Okay, no problem,... it should start... Undecided...
You've missed something...

On the off chance that you've been cranking a lot,... a whole lot... without starting...
There is a thing called gas wash,.. that can happen when fuel is entering the cylinder, but never gets burned...
This washes the oil seal off the cylinder walls, and can bring compression down to almost zero...
Try a squirt of oil into the sparkplug hole... give 2 seconds of crank with the sparkplug still out,.. then put the plug in and try to start again...

If that ain't it... I just don't know where to go from there...
Start over,.. and check everything again...
Battery, cranking speed, fuel, spark, etc...

Best luck... keep us informed...
You know, as do we,... that this is a fixable problem...
... and it's likely nothing too serious...

We've all been there... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #18 - 04/05/14 at 23:20:58

Thanks guys. I'll start these checks tomorrow and hopefully let you know which one fixes my problem.

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #19 - 04/06/14 at 01:29:33

Sorry, but how do you know the carb gets gas, and delivers gas mixture to the cylinder? Wet spark plug? If thatīs the fact, it might be simple.

Plugs that have been soaked while cranking for a long time seem to fire properly outside the engine, and may refuse to fire when reinstalled. The spark just canīt develop properly under compression. I have seen this on NGK plugs on my old Triumph chopper - and even on new ones. Cleaning them / burning off the oil/gas/dirt may help, but is not guaranteed.

So..change the plug to a known good one/new one and see if it fires.

(Yes, I learned this the hard way on the chop...I even tore down my ignition, realigned it TWICE, swapped the coils, cables and lots of other stuff. Finally, I put two old 1980:s plugs into it...and it fired on first kick - after a month of kickstarting efforts. Turned out both plugs had been fouled up, they refused to fire under compression. )

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #20 - 04/06/14 at 02:42:31

Well, I don't know that it delivers gas mixture to the cylinder. I do know that the carb gets gas and that (outside the engine) the spark plug is firing. I know that before the mods the fuel delivery was fine besides the internal petcock problem. I'm sure it's just something simple that I am unaware of, like decomp or maybe a vacuum issue or something.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 04/06/14 at 05:27:54

Get a can of either (quick starting fluid) from any auto parts store or Walmart.

A 2 second blast of either down the carb throat followed by a quick hit on the starter will answer the fuel related questions very quickly as if it runs revs up some on either even for a second or three you know the problem is really fuel delivery.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 04/06/14 at 05:33:32

Get a can of either (quick starting fluid) from any auto parts store or Walmart.

A 2 second blast of either down the carb throat followed by a quick hit on the starter will answer the fuel related questions very quickly as if it runs on either even for a second or two you know the problem is fuel delivery.

=================

Should this be the case, the float valve rubber tip is likely stuck in the brass seat.  I have had this happen after trailering the bike a goodly distance, the float was getting bounced by the RR tracks and other bumps and it got stuck.

Simply hit the bowl of the carb 3-4 times sharply with a big screw driver handle to jar the rubber tip from the seat and all will start working again normally.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #23 - 04/06/14 at 09:15:03

mhart731 wrote on 04/05/14 at 14:08:57:
I looked around but didn't see anything specifically like my problem. I just finished the cam chain tensioner and petcock mod. Now the bike turns over and fires, even sounds like it is cranking. But it just won't quite go all the way.

Try shooting some starter fluid in the air filter. Also, are you pulling the choke out? I had some starting issues when I changed my petcock and did the Versy mod too for some reason. No clue why, but starter fluid got me going.

IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #24 - 04/06/14 at 17:05:51

This is going to sound crazy. I've spent the last hour playing around with this thing. New spark plug, shot of oil in plug hole, loosened decomp cable (found the instructional in the tech section), AND 2 small sprays of starting fluid in air filter. Didn't change one bit. Bike still won't run. Enough frustration for one day. Maybe tomorrow I mess with it more.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #25 - 04/06/14 at 17:42:58

OK:

You are sure:
Bike ran before you worked on it.
Battery is good - fully charged
Getting fuel - either gas or starting fluid
Plug is good. Plug is firing

You mentioned a tapping noise when the bike was running. Was the original cam chain adjuster apart when you took the clutch cover off, or was it just extended close to the limit?

I'm thinking valve/valve timing problem. I can't imagine what you could have goofed up putting the modified adjuster in, but that's where I'd be looking next.

IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #26 - 04/06/14 at 18:37:56

Yes the bike ran. I even drive it a few times last summer. Tensioner was all the way apart when I opened the case. I'm charging the battery now and plan on checking the plug and fuel flow tomorrow.

IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #27 - 04/06/14 at 18:39:47

If the tensioner was all the way out would replacing it throw off the valve timing somehow?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 04/06/14 at 19:54:51

Nope, unless you were able to make the chain jump a tooth on a sprocket,,& that aint no kinda easy,,
Roll the motor around to TDC COMPRESSION,, look at the crank marker under the plug on the left side. Pop the valve inspection covers & wiggle the rockers,, Both sides should have a few thousandths slack,,
Only rotate the motor the direction it turns when its running,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #29 - 04/06/14 at 20:00:52

mhart731 wrote on 04/06/14 at 18:39:47:
If the tensioner was all the way out would replacing it throw off the valve timing somehow?

I'm not sure. But if the adjuster was completely apart - plunger out of the housing, spring falling (or fell)out - I think it's possible for the chain to have jumped a tooth on one of the sprockets. If it did, the valves are now out of time. Just putting the modified adjuster in won't fix that.

I haven't been deep enough into one of these motors to know for certain if the cam chain can jump even with no tension on it - it may not. But the symptoms you are having point in that direction.

Hopefully someone who's done an overhaul or two will chime in.

Quote:
I'm charging the battery now and plan on checking the plug and fuel flow tomorrow.

I thought we already did that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:17:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cranking Problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.