Send Topic Print
Not going straight (Read 101 times)
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Not going straight
04/05/14 at 08:26:04

Hello friends

I've had a small problem with my 650 not going straight when I let go of the handlebars.. I thought it must be the fork legs which had been tweaked in the triple trees after I read some info about that could happen quite easily on choppers, by hitting a sidewalk curb etc.. I've had my fork legs off this winther, and got it all assemblied in the correct order.. Then yesterday I was out for a test ride, and it seems the problem is reduced a bit, but it still want's to go the side when I let go.. Also it looks like the top triple is off to one side when I eye-measure it with the tank, although I think that my tank is alittle crooked itself, so probably not the best thing to measure it against.. Anyway..
Have any of you experienced similar problems with your savage..?

BTW: Here in Denmark, the roads has a slight downward angle from the center of the lane and out, to prevent water from collecting onto the surface.. That might have something to do with it...? Another thing.. Could it be the rear tire that is not adjusted straight?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Not going straight
Reply #1 - 04/05/14 at 08:43:42

Michael L wrote on 04/05/14 at 08:26:04:
Hello friends

BTW: Here in Denmark, the roads has a slight downward angle from the center of the lane and out, to prevent water from collecting onto the surface.. That might have something to do with it...? YES, it can Another thing.. Could it be the rear tire that is not adjusted straight? Very common, the adjuster marks are not perfect.

Check your rear wheel alignment. Take off the pulley cover and the left shock. Use a good straight edge, like a carpenter's level, to make sure the pulleys are square to each other. Also, check your belt tension. Throw the factory brass tool out, it sets the belt too tight. You want the belt loose enough to twist it 90 degrees with the area under your thumb nail just going white instead of your normal skin tone. There should be directions and/or a video in the tech section.

Also check your steering head bearings. Lift the front end off the ground, a cinder block topped with plywood, under the engine, works perfectly. The front end normally will flop over to the left if the bearing preload is too loose. Center the fork, and tap each grip, the fork should move freely in either direction. If it feels tight, time to grease the bearings... Unlike modern machines, the Savage uses old time Timken bearings that require occasional lubing and adjusting. That's a GOOD thing.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/05/14 at 08:43:59

If the world isnt flat, it wont go straight, the more tilted the world is, the less straight it goes,,
Wet a sidewalk & ride across that, look at the track it leaves. If its not one line, fairly narrow, the rear is crooked. OR, I slipped a string under the belt & rolled the bike till it was at the very front of the front pulley & pulled it tite & to the rear pulley. If it doesnt go to the rear pulley & lay across it w/o a noticeable bend, its crooked. OR, look closely at the way it sits in the swingarm,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/05/14 at 09:26:39

I'm only 140lbs,.. but if I schooch my butt right or left, the bike wanders one direction or the other...
It's a light machine...

Which cheek holds yer' wallet?... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #4 - 04/05/14 at 09:38:39

Thanks guys. think I'll go and make a test on different roads, and look into the rear wheel adjustment.. I did adjust the rear axle the last time I had the wheel off, but the other day I noticed that the belt was more off to one side at the rear pulley, and I had some light squeaking on the front. So if im lucky it will go dead straight AND, without any sqeak when it's adjusted.. It's quite problematic if those two doesn't play together..  Angry

But, I am thinking about a chain conversion.. Looks cooler and is not so sensitive about adjustment as the belt.. And after I saw the prices on new belt and pulleys  Shocked   Grin

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #5 - 04/05/14 at 09:43:33

hehe serowbot Wink I have mine in the front pocket, that also includes the cellphone.. Got alot of east europeans over here  Tongue (No offense to anyone)

But you are right, it is light and not a long heavy freeway cruiser, which I totally love about it  Smiley

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 04/05/14 at 09:59:32

Shew... thought for a minute that this post pertained to sexuality and was going to be move to the tall tale section... glad to find out it was about the drifting pattern of the motorcycle. Shocked Grin Grin Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/05/14 at 10:45:40

I havent seen anyone buy new belt & pulleys,, rarely a belt..but, it has happened..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 04/05/14 at 11:21:50

Michael L wrote on 04/05/14 at 09:38:39:
But, I am thinking about a chain conversion.. Looks cooler and is not so sensitive about adjustment as the belt.. And after I saw the prices on new belt and pulleys  Shocked   Grin

Belts last about 75,000 miles from what I've heard. Chains need constant maintenance, will wear out and you can still have pulley problems even with a chain. But yeah, chains do look cool....

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #9 - 04/05/14 at 12:11:51

Actually, it kinda gets boring having a bike with such little maintenance as the savage when you enjoy wrenching, but hey you can't complain hehe..

But if it seems that I can't adjust the rear wheel properly so the bike goes straight, without still having a squeaky belt, what do I do then..? Assuming the rear wheel adjustment is the cause of the problem ofcourse..

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/05/14 at 22:31:46

Set the belt tension a touch looser. They seem to squeak and get out of alignment the worst when the belt is too tight.

My 2003 will stay belt driven, with swingarm/shocks and a hydraulic front end. And a windscreen of some kind.

My 98 is getting a rigid frame conversion, springer fork, chain drive, and hopefully a hand shift/foot clutch to go with the current front wheel drum brake conversion (may stick with the stock forks and just use 85W140 oil in them, a lot cheaper and easier, plus, I really like that wheel)... With a proper upright 1940s style police windshield. And a 1920s-1940s police style growler horn.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 15:51:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not going straight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.