Send Topic Print
thinking about a 21in (Read 153 times)
eppley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

thinking about a 21in
04/01/14 at 19:27:14

So I'm nearing the end of my build and I was kinda thinking a 21in wheel in the front would look pretty sweet. Is there any 21in spoke wheels out there that is a easy fit on the savage. Really don't want to open a can of worms just something that would bolt up.

IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Re: thinking about a 21in
Reply #1 - 04/02/14 at 05:20:16

I don't know about a lot of older metric cruisers tire size (21"?)but would probably be the only thing to come close to fitting. Most having a 20mm axle where an older harley has a 3/4 axle. I think ours is 16mm. So short of a full front end swap best bet would be to send the stock hub to Buchanan spoke and rims and have it laced to a 21" rim. That's what I'm doing for the rear, changing from stock 15" to 18". I think a 21" tire would look good. 21" front with 21" rear on a sick drop seat frame even better.

IP Logged
eppley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/02/14 at 05:34:49

There was a post on here that a guy swapped with a intruder front end.  But that might have to wait till next winter.  But, this Buchanan wheels all u have to do is send them your axle and hub or?

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #3 - 04/02/14 at 05:59:02

I have a 21" Harley wheel in black from a 08 Wide Glide. The axle is 25mm. I agree with Wolsgrin and think re-lacing a larger rim is the way to go...A machine shop will charge you mucho $$$ to make a custom axle and a brake rotor spacer.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/02/14 at 06:11:35

eppley wrote on 04/02/14 at 05:34:49:
 But, this Buchanan wheels all u have to do is send them your axle and hub or?

All you have to do with Buchanan is send them your hub if you are buying the rim  and spokes from them.....or send them the rim you want to use and they will make the proper spokes.  Be aware that not all rims have the correct spoke angle....or even the same number of spokes.  You can get a number of different spoke materials and several different types of rims.  They will punch the holes to match the angle the hub requires.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/

Use a rim with the wrong spoke angle....and it bends the spokes near the rim and it looks like this:

imagesCATBXZY2.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/02/14 at 07:38:46

Any idea how much it cost to send a hub in to buchanonspokes and have them send it back laced up to a 21" rim?  Looks to be somewhere around $350-400.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/02/14 at 07:53:26

I didn't go and check their site....but generally the spoke sets are $ 100, lacing the wheel is around another $ 100, a rim wil most likely be $ 150 - $ 200.......then you have to add shipping both ways.  I betcha you get close to $ 400.  Then you need a tire and tube......... Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/02/14 at 08:00:54

For that much, I think I'll just stick with my stock setup.

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/02/14 at 18:19:56

I managed to mount a 21" Intruder front wheel on my savage forks using the Intruder axle.  However, using the savage spacers, the wheel is offset about 20mm and isn't straight in between the fork legs.  I'm sure you can play with spacers and center it, but you won't be able to run a front brake.

I just ended up bolting on the complete Intruder front end so I didn't have to deal with offset rotors and custom brake calipers etc.

IP Logged
eppley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/03/14 at 13:21:17

Was that swap a direct bolt on?  The headlight fit? That is way to much money just for one wheel. Might be thinking of doing that.

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/03/14 at 19:05:17

Check out my build thread.  It shows pics of everything.  The headlight bolted right on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:27:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › thinking about a 21in

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.