Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wiring and rear end question ;) (Read 101 times)
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

wiring and rear end question ;)
03/31/14 at 08:56:26

Hey peeps,

im changing my wiring loom, getting rid of the controls on the bars and putting them in one panel of an electrical box (mounted above and too the right of the battery) regards to the wiring can i just snip the bits out that i don't need (such as high beam/turn signal/ display)
my bikes the 400 and has hazard warning lights instead of on-off for lights (lights constantly running)

as for the rear of the bike i was going to put a hugger type fender on, (got a biltwell sprung seat) but im thinking of not having one at all, or maybe just a small one behind the seat, i've tried googling but can't seem to come up with any ideas, any thoughts welcome....
oooo and im gonna be cutting the seat rails like the bcb kit (but cant afford their kit)

thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: wiring and rear end question ;)
Reply #1 - 03/31/14 at 09:17:08

You only ride on clean dry roads? Ill bet the first bikes had no fender,, then someone decided they were tired of gettin crap slung on them & built a doohickey to Fend Off the crud, & they named them fenders.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/31/14 at 10:05:23

i do understand the use of the fender, this will only be used on nice days i admit (my 1200 bandit is my every day bike) i just thought there may be another way of doing it apart from a full fender....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/31/14 at 10:32:47

There are some nice looking, yet effective, not Full Fender jobs out there.
Look at Serowbots bike. I find that even on pretty days, I find myself running thru water. People water their yards & it goes down the road,,
In a downpour, meeeh,, gonna get wet anyway,,, Id want a full coverage front , cuz sand & small gritty stuff flies up. Again, Rowboats bike is my model of "What I think is good", he even has a mudflap..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 03/31/14 at 11:40:23

XS650 or similar 70s/80s shiny metal rear fender section. Once painted, they look and work tolerably... If you can find one, an old Preston Petty plastic rear works very well, and cut be readily resized to suit.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/31/14 at 13:11:00

i do agree with you justin_o_guy2 my old ls650 just had the front fork brace on and i rode that in all weathers i mean water/snow/ ice that was interesting..... i won't do that again... especially the snow that got caught in the beard.....

WD you nailed it, preston petty's Cheesy i'm sure my dad has 2 of them in his front bedroom i may be able to scrounge (goes with his cough cough my 1959 francis barnett trials bike) which is in his living room, and spanners in the kitchen draws......

thanks guys

any thoughts of that wiring question i put up?

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #6 - 04/01/14 at 07:48:27

Here are some of the fenders I have made. Pretty simple to bolt up anything to the stock fender mounts. BTW none of these did much to keep any sort of spray off my back.

Trailer fender cut and drilled.

A modified xs650 rear fender I got from my buddy.

A hacked up Harley part.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/02/14 at 09:50:38

They all look quite smart, have to say i think the xs fender looks the best, the problem is im cutting the original mounts off (like the blue collar bobber kit) so i can fit the biltwell seat i got off ryca, could possibly use the mounts were the solenoid was attached further down, i'm thinking of welding an L shape bracket to the swing arm and using half a trailer fender to go to just about above the top of the tyre, then making up a license plate holder (live in the uk and have to have a stupid size plate in the middle of the tyre, can't be too 1 side)

thanks again for the thoughts and advice

as for the wiring,if i ditch the neutral light indicators etc, is it ok to just snip the wires out or do i have to tape them over etc? just that im ditching the controls on the bars and having a few simple toggle switchs in a electrical box, i dont need the side stand switch, neutral/high beam/turn signal light indicators

thanks in advance

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 07:07:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wiring and rear end question ;)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.