Send Topic Print
Jet sizes. (Read 128 times)
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jet sizes.
03/20/14 at 18:51:17

I want to know what you guys run as far as main and pilot jet for your big bore savages. I need a starting point for jetting my 96 mm savage. Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Jet sizes.
Reply #1 - 03/20/14 at 20:56:50

where does an 800 lb gorilla sleep?

anywhere she wants.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/20/14 at 22:28:29

Starting point, is stock jetting...
If you do it right... go up from there...
Elevation, humidity, riding style... all matter...
Copying... is not an option... Huh...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/21/14 at 05:14:51

Well I got this bike from a buddy for 300 dollars and never ran it on the stock motor. I got it running and found a oil leak at the base of the cylinder jug. So I tore it down and had it bored out and re sealed the whole engine. The stock main was a 145 and the pilot was a 52.5. I want up one size on the pilot to a 55 and from a 145 to a 155 on the main. I'm right around sea level if that helps. The bike isn't taged insured or registered at the moment and I'm going to go get it inspected soon and just need something to get me close so I don't run it to lean. I guess it's better to go a little fat. After I take care of all that I can go about tuning it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/21/14 at 05:56:39

Based on my experience......you got it jetted pretty darn rich.

I ride around at 500' - 800' elevation in this area.  I used an Oxygen Sensor and found the best mixture was #50 Pilot, #150 main, and 2 washers in place of the white spacer.  I had a DYNA muffler, stock air filter, and a 95mm Wiseco.

Folks with open pipes and cone filters may need larger jets than what worked on my bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/21/14 at 07:29:01

Hmm I thought I was lean but I guess being to rich will make it low on power as well. I'm going to drive it around the parking lot down the road and do some plug readings I guess. Thanks for giving me some numbers to go by. And yeah I understand all the factors that come into play when it comes to carb tuning and jet sizes but thanks Dave for giving me some numbers and not something about a gorilla and where he sleeps, although I understand your comparison  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/21/14 at 07:37:49

Here is a link to my jetting process:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1348491882

For your pilot.....warm the bike up and adjust the idle fuel mixture.  If you get the best idle with less than 3 turns out, the Pilot is probably OK.  A setting between 1.5 - 2 turns on the screw shows the pilot is the ideal size....the pilot really only has an effect at idle and throttle settings below 1/8th turn on the grip.

For your main......wide open throttle is the best test.  The only way I know to check (other than plug readings) is to keep making the jets bigger and when it gets too fat it will start going slower and run crappy.  Then you can start to install smaller ones until you get good acceleration again.  The needle has the most inluence between 1/8th to 3/4 throttle, and you can move the needle up and down - but when you change that you need to do the pilot and main again....it is a big effect on them.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 03/21/14 at 09:03:13

If you're sloppy rich, you'll get black sooty exhaust too.

I like how Dave did his testing.  I know it was a lot of stuff to go through but he got the definitive answers for his bike.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:29:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jet sizes.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.