Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oil leaking from here? And other noob questions. (Read 222 times)
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Oil leaking from here? And other noob questions.
03/19/14 at 18:46:46

I picked up a new to me '02 with 8,300 miles on the clock.  I noticed I have some oil leaking from the top of the engine and was looking for some advice as to what may be the cause.  I've done lots of digging and reading on here and determined it's not coming from the "plug" that seems to fail often.  It appears there is oil leaking out around this stud on the front of the engine under the exhaust pipe. There was a drip hanging from the stud/nut that I wiped off before taking the picture.

Also I have oil coming from somewhere up top  that is working it's way down, eventually to the fins on the left side.

I'm speculating that this one is coming from the valve adjustment inspection covers.  but I won't know until I can dig further into it.  

So to all those who are fare more familiar with this bike, does the above look familiar?  if so what was the cause and fix?  

More noob questions:  other than keeping the head bolts properly torqued and looking after the cam chain tensioner, Is their anything else I need to do to keep her running besides the obvious routine maintenance?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Oil leaking from here? And other noob question
Reply #1 - 03/19/14 at 19:40:30

Quimrider wrote on 03/19/14 at 18:46:46:
I picked up a new to me '02 with 8,300 miles on the clock.  I noticed I have some oil leaking from the top of the engine and was looking for some advice as to what may be the cause.  I've done lots of digging and reading on here and determined it's not coming from the "plug" that seems to fail often.  It appears there is oil leaking out around this stud on the front of the engine under the exhaust pipe. There was a drip hanging from the stud/nut that I wiped off before taking the picture.Them studs, front and rear tend to loosen and weep,(try snugging, but don't bust'em... if they still weep, remove, add a dab of RTV and snug again... JUST DON'T BREAK'EM!...
http://s28.postimg.org/xv8q4oup5/100_2751.jpg

Also I have oil coming from somewhere up top  that is working it's way down, eventually to the fins on the left side.That may be the head plug...
http://s12.postimg.org/rv0yalzfd/100_2752.jpg
I'm speculating that this one is coming from the valve adjustment inspection covers. ...or that  Undecided... but I won't know until I can dig further into it.  

So to all those who are fare more familiar with this bike, does the above look familiar?  if so what was the cause and fix?  

More noob questions:  other than keeping the head bolts properly torqued head bolts rarely come loose...and looking after the cam chain tensioner, Yup,.. watch the camchain,.. and buy a Versy modded adjuster... Is their anything else I need to do to keep her running besides the obvious routine maintenance? Git' a Raptor petcock... check yer header bolts for snug at each oil change

PS... don't install an oil filter backwards... (easy mistake, bad consequences)...

PSS,.. you choose that name,.. or lose a bet?...  Huh...

...(be careful,.. that name rides the edge of our site standards... hope you're here to play nice)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #2 - 03/19/14 at 20:26:10

LOL no bet lost  Grin   I play nice.  I think you're the first to notice since I registered almost 5 years ago.  Granted I've only made slightly more than 1 post/year.  I don't mind changing it if need be.

Good point about the oil filter.  I've seen posts about the oil filter.  It looks similar if not the same as my first bike which was a GZ250.  So I should avoid that problem.    

Thanks for the good advice!  Glad to hear the stud leak likely isn't an indication of something bad.  I have some "Right Stuff" RTV gasket goo that works better than anything else I've used.  Should seal up those studs if snugging down the nuts doesn't do the job.  

As for the other leak I am certain it's not the head plug. I was sure that was the source but I found the plug completely free of oil.  The valve adjust covers are the only other thing I could think of.  I guess I should have asked if there is somewhere else up there that would make sense for the oil to leak like the decompression thingie.  I'll replace the gasket on the covers and see if that fixes it.

I couldn't remember what needed tightening up top every so often, my memory fails me as I was thinking it was the head bolts but I was probably remembering the exhaust as u suggested.

I plan to make my own Versy modded cam tensioner.  I just need to find out when my friend will allow me to use his mill for the slot.  

I am not sold on ditching the vacuum actuated petcock.  I love them on my other bikes.  Besides I'm forgetful and lazy and I'd almost always forget to turn it off after riding and if I do remember to turn it off, then I'd wonder why I stall after 20 yards because I forgot to turn it back on.  I just rebuilt one valve that finally started to fail after 20 years.  They're very easy to rebuild.  Is there something different about the Savage's petcock that I am missing? Smiley  

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/19/14 at 21:52:18

The only other thing I can think of that will cause a leak in that area, is the forward nut/bolt that holds the left-side, chrome, dress cover on the head...(although it looks like it only holds the cover, it does seal, and can leak)...

The stock vac petcock seems to have a high failure rate,.. but, if you are willing to put up with that and are aware of that likelihood and the common symptoms, it's just a matter of choice... (I see failures in other models and brands, so it's not much worse on a Savage... just inherent to the basic system)...
I prefer the manual for it's simplicity, plus it makes tank removal easier...

Best luck with the leak,.. let us know what you find...

PS... 8 posts in 5 years?...
...(I do feel like such a chatty Kathy)...  Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/20/14 at 05:19:14

The stud and nut that is located at the direct front of the engine sometimes leaks.  Take the nut off, clean up the area and nut, put a little sealer on it, then put the nut back on and tighten it up.

When you decide to tighten up those little 6mm studs on the head cover, the ones that take a 10mm wrench.....easy does it.  Those are small bolt and easily stripped out of the soft aluminum head.  The studs that intercept oil cavities have sealing washers on them.....consult your manual, the tech section or an online parts diagram to see which ones are supposed to have sealing washers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #5 - 05/04/14 at 20:50:56

I finished my own Verslavy inspired cam tensioner mod.  Not nearly as professional as a true Verslavy cam tensioner.  But considering this is the third thing I've ever welded (second time TIG welding)  I think it came out pretty good.  The tab wasn't quite straight but I used 3/16" thick material which is slightly thicker than the original tab and I simply ground it to the same plane as the original tab.  Grin   At 8,300 miles my plunger had extended to 17mm so it was close enough to time to do something.  I'll check it in another 12K miles or when it starts making noise.

Should I be at all worried about the roll pin coming out from the engine vibrations?  I've rarely used roll pins before and according to the roll pin hole size chart I drilled the proper size hole...  It just seemed a little to easy to tap the pin in the hole with a hammer.

Next items on the to do list: adjust valves, sparkplug, fork seals, oil leak, and mod the front fender (it rubs oversized tire).  Then I can get it plated and out on the road!

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/04/14 at 21:23:40

I never touched the head bolts, bought new in 05, sold it w/ 20,000 miles. No p[roblems,I cant think of any engine that needs the head retorqued,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/04/14 at 21:36:40

You should cut the roll pin flush with the housing, not sure how close the case is, but it's not far.

and you should deburr all the edges, those burrs can get caught in between the plunger and housing and cause it to stick.

if you feel the roll pin is loose, try and pull it out, if it comes out easy try another, they do vary in size.  if all else fails, clean well and add some permanent locktite.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 05/04/14 at 23:46:46

I've got 2 spare vacuum petcocks in the junk bin. PM me your address once you have enough posts to use that site feature. My 2003 runs a Raptor petcock, the 1998 has a generic 3/8 pipe or metric equivalent petcock. No need for the vac suckers... have plenty of other fishing weights (like old sparkplugs).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #9 - 05/05/14 at 11:20:17

verslagen1 wrote on 05/04/14 at 21:36:40:
You should cut the roll pin flush with the housing, not sure how close the case is, but it's not far.

and you should deburr all the edges, those burrs can get caught in between the plunger and housing and cause it to stick.

if you feel the roll pin is loose, try and pull it out, if it comes out easy try another, they do vary in size.  if all else fails, clean well and add some permanent locktite.

Loctite, that's a good idea!  I did debur it on the inside.  I see from my pictures that I neglected the burrs on the outside Smiley  

The problem is I don't know what would be considered "easy" to pull a roll pin out.  I have to put the end of the pin in a vice and I can twist and pull it out by rotating the tensioner and pulling on it.  I tapped the pin in until it started pinching the spring, then backed it out a fuzz.  Aside from some slight rub on the spring from the pin the plunger moves freely.  I imagine it would be difficult but not impossible to pull the pin with a pair of pliers.  I'm guessing it would probably hold but I don't know how roll pins do with vibrations in an engine.  Maybe I can grind my tungsten really sharp and tack the roll pin in there Smiley  I'm half joking half serious, I'd be tempted to try it but I am quite the novice and would likely destroy a good tensioner.  Think I'm being overly paranoid here?

Oh yeah, it's only sticking out about 1/8" I would think that should clear the inside of the cover but maybe not.  I'll take another look at this...  Thanks for pointing out stuff I hadn't thought of.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/05/14 at 11:47:33

Yes, I guess I do have the benefit of experience   Cool

Here's a test I do... push the plunger completely in, hold the ratchet in and let the plunger snap out against the pin.  If it stays put it's fine.

WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #11 - 05/05/14 at 15:28:56

Sorry if I'm hijacking but is there instructions to building the tensioner modification?

WWW   IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #12 - 05/05/14 at 17:27:17

Not really.  you can get little bits from various threads about it's development.  Essentially you don't want the plunger to extend more than about 18mm.  So drill a hole in the plunger for a roll pin and cut a slot so that the roll pin will prevent greater than 18mm extension.  The second half is to weld a tab for the second hole.  I spaced it 12mm instead of 18mm because I'm fairly certain the cam chain insides would contact each other if  the tensioner extended an additional 18mm.

I think you can get the verslavy mod done to your tension for about $70. In hind sight $70 seems like a bargain now that I know how much work is involved.  If you can't figure it out from my description above and browsing the threads on it, put in some extra hours at work to get the $70 and have it professionally done!

The hardest part for me was drilling a hole in the hardened steel plunger for a roll pin.  Using a drill press I went thru about $15-$20 in cobalt drill bits before I completed the hole.  I kept pressing too hard and snapping the bits.  I don't see how you could possibly do this without a drill press.

WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #13 - 05/05/14 at 19:00:36

Sounds like good advice, thanks

WWW   IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #14 - 05/05/14 at 19:45:07

wickedbiker wrote on 05/05/14 at 19:00:36:
Sounds like good advice, thanks
 I'm not trying to talk you out of it I was just making the point that it's a lot more difficult than it seems for the average shade tree mechanic.  If I were to spread that $70 over the hours I spent working on this it'd be well below minimum wage.  since there are no measure here and cut instructions, I started by cutting a hole close to the edge for the pin.  Then I had the initial slot cut for me intentionally short(friend with a milling machine).  I then enlarged a little at a time with my drill press until the plunger would just stick out 18+mm.  I also forgot to mention that the drill bits I broke were brand new sharp cobalt bits that I kept well lubed to prevent overheating.  If someone knows an easier way to cut holes in hardened steel I'm all ears.  I almost gave up on trying to drill the hole and was going to look for a local machine shop to do it for me.    

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:15:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil leaking from here? And other noob questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.