First motorcycle seat (Read 98 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
First motorcycle seat
03/16/14 at 12:20:08

Well finally got to try my hand at making a seat, I have a buddy who restores Hondas and Ducatis who was in a bind to have a seat made in 10 days to flip a bike.  I'm pretty happy with the way it came out and learned a lot that will make the next one better.   Wink

First_onwe.jpg

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: First motorcycle seat
Reply #1 - 03/16/14 at 15:00:31

Snot perfikk, but pretty danged good. What kinda machine did you sew it up on?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 03/16/14 at 19:04:55

I picked up a classic Swinger 247 off Craigslist on the cheap $30 with a cabinet, works great!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/17/14 at 11:29:03

I can find a Singer 247,, How heavy is it? How old is it? What is the motor HP rating? Steel or plastic gears?
If youre serious about this kinda stuff you mite wanna go hunting an upholstery machine. BUT, if you do that, make sure you have it checked out by a pro before you buy it. I bought one, paid top dollar for it ( From a "friend") that simply would not stay in time. I spent more on having it "fixed" than it was worth.. I can buy one like it today for $100.00 thats in working shape..Takes 2 people to move one,,well,, not move around in a house, but to load in a pickup. Even then ya pull the head off the work table & load it, then load the table & motor. You gotta be GOOD to run one, even with the variable speed motor, it sucked material under faster than I was comfortable with. I put a smaller pulley on the motor & a shorter belt & slowed it down,
You did real good laying out the pattern. Kinda got the lines across a little off & had a narrow band just before the sweep up. Got a little crooked on the front seam, but by & large, you did real good.
IDK where ya got the material, but for bike/ATV/tractor seats I go to an upholstery shop & buy material that will go in a boat & survive outside for years. You can lay out a pattern, cut it out & have it sewn up & save $$ or do it all. When I did the back hoe seats I cut the plywood for the bases & hacked out the foam rubber & took that stuff to the guy. He made up the covers & I took it all home to assemble & saved a load.
Finding the right kind of foam rubber for a seat isnt easy. Sure not cheap. I had a junk pickup I stole seat rubber from.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 03/17/14 at 23:52:02

Nice one Toes. A bit of heat and stretching might pull it tighter and get rid of the wrinkles. Better than my first try...

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #5 - 03/18/14 at 09:29:36

looking good.. some wrinkles may come out on their own in the sun

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 03/18/14 at 09:50:49

I think the wrinkles make it look more authentic and retro...
...due to the stud mounting instead of 200 staples...

Really nice job... cool look... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 03/18/14 at 09:54:28

Thanks guys,  I think the lighting in the pic makes the wrinkles look worse then they are,  for a first try I'm happy with the results and he paid me $200 for it.  

@JOG- yea the 247 is metal gears, it's an older work horse model made in Italy, with the table probably 60Lbs. give or take. The variable speed is the toughest thing to get used to for me so far, starting slow and working into mid speed seems to do the job.  I researched a number of sewing machines and had a list of ones to pull the trigger on if they popped up on Craigslist, which this one did   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 22:16:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › First motorcycle seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.