Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Broken clutch cover bolts (Read 182 times)
jimmysmooth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Broken clutch cover bolts
Reply #15 - 03/17/14 at 18:51:40

Michael L wrote on 03/17/14 at 10:18:05:
Are you sure you didn't strip the threads in the alu casing...? I find it hard to believe you broke a steel bolt before stripping the thread.. Anyway, just as justinoguy explained, that's the only right way to go.. A 1/4 with a snug hand and you're done.. IF it would begin to leak, in which I doubt it will, you can just give them 10 degrees more...

Yeah Justin, one bolt snapped and the others twisted thin between the outside of the case and the holes. The one that broke came right out with a pliers.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 03/18/14 at 06:45:46

IF you get stronger bolts, then youll be all set up for wrecking threads in the case. Stay with wimpy bolts. Theyre strong enough to do the job of clamping the case on tight enough to not leak.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/18/14 at 07:10:08

A $20 torque wrench is a lot cheaper than breaking stuff and saves a lot of time fixing overtorqued/broken parts.

I'm notorious for overtorquing everything if I do it by hand.  I always use a torque wrench.  Saves a lot of hastle.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/18/14 at 09:05:56

They were on sale not too long ago for $10 any size

WWW   IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #19 - 03/18/14 at 09:34:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/16/14 at 09:34:44:
Torque wrench? Naah, 1/4" ratchet & No Closed Fist on it. Thumb on ratchet head & squeeze fingers in, FEELING the bolt as it snugs up. YOu can feel it when it stops. If it leaks, snug a bit more where you think you must, but bolts will tell you when its time to stop, once you learn how to listen,

yes sir, 1/4 drive with just 2 fingers, after 40yrs wrenching can definitely tell.... Now head bolts DO get a torque wrench  Grin

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #20 - 03/18/14 at 10:37:04

shorty wrote on 03/18/14 at 09:34:48:
yes sir, 1/4 drive with just 2 fingers, after 40yrs wrenching can definitely tell....

As I used to tell my sheetrockers "There's a difference between 40 years of experience and one year of experience 40 times".  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 03/18/14 at 12:44:00

Of course I have & use torque wrenches.. There are places where theyre just a Must, but just because a bolt has a torque spec that doesnt mean a torque wrench must be used. Another thing about these bikes, you look at those torque specs,, on a lot of them the specs are wide , like
Torque 25 to 40 pounds, not quite like putting a valve body in a transmission, where theyre using inch pounds & working a triple pass patern.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:28:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken clutch cover bolts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.