Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone used alumiweld to fix engine case (Read 95 times)
ChrisTech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Has anyone used alumiweld to fix engine case
03/17/14 at 09:36:19

So when I had my engine out this winter for a build, I dropped it wile moving it in my garage. Of corse It caused a 3 inch crack on the bottor that leaks a little oil. I have never had any luck using jb weld to seal an oil leak, so I found this alumiweld at hf and am thinking about using it to solder the crack closed. My conserns are, am I going to melt anything in there I'll by heating to about 800 f at the crack site. Do you think it will stick, due to oil seeping into the pours of the aluminum. Any advice is appreciated.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Has anyone used alumiweld to fix engine case
Reply #1 - 03/17/14 at 09:48:52

My brother said he used it to repair either the engine case or the clutch bell in a truck.  I can't tell you if it's still good or not.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/17/14 at 12:01:13

Id call a welder & ask if he could fix it. Just pay & ride. Just how much do you want to ride a bike youve patched up w/o any experience with that kind of work, wondering if its STILL holding? It would make me nuts, worrying if Im riding along losing oil. How many Hot/Cold cycles is it gonna make before it cracks? Will it last days? Weeks? Months? Forever?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 03/18/14 at 00:16:46

Do the smart thing on this one, have it welded by a professional.
Years back the bottom of my engine case was damaged on the highway; knocked a pretty hole in about the size of a 50 cent piece edge wise, just like on a piggy bank.  It did require a complete engine disassembly for the repair to be made but it was worth it.  The weld was beautifully done and I never had to worry about it again.
Do it right the first time.

IP Logged
ChrisTech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/18/14 at 12:02:05

Thanks guys. You helped me make my decision, I am going to  jb weld it.( it's a hair size crack) Ride it for the summer and then tear down next winter when I do a piston and cam, and weld it then . I'm really interested in how that supercharger works out. Now I have a box of alumiweld and nothing to do...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/18/14 at 12:55:29

Awwrite, then get the engine out & upside down ( Yea, Id drain it first.,.)
& hit the crack with some Berrymans brake cleaner, let it dry, blow it out & use a triangle file & cut a groove, flush again, then when ya put the JB weld to it, mix it a little cool, use less than 50% of the white stuff, it will cure slower & wont be so brittle. IF it starts leaking again, before ya just slap more goo on it, have a good look & see if the crack has walked out from under the end of the JB weld. Cracks grow with heat & cool cycles & vibration. The only stop for that is either weld it up or drill a hole at the end of the crack, giving it a radius to vibrate into. I learned that in 5th grade, when a window on an airplane was cracked & thats how my stepdad went about stopping it from growing,

OR,, You could just clean it up real good & slap some JB weld on it & See how well that works. YOu mite be happier doing that a few times than pulling the motor once,, youve already proven theyre heavy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:41:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Has anyone used alumiweld to fix engine case

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.