Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Broken clutch cover bolts (Read 182 times)
jimmysmooth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Broken clutch cover bolts
03/16/14 at 08:29:12

Recently I took my clutch case cover off to check my tensioner. When I put it back on, I over torqued a couple of the bolts and even broke one. I should have bought a torque wrench. Now I have the wrench, but I can't find replacement bolts anywhere. The hardware stores around me (St. Louis) don't sell a lot of chromed bolts, and Bike Bandit has them on their diagram but doesn't have them listed with a price. I am talking about number 5 and 6 on their diagram. Does anyone have any idea where I can buy or order these?

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Broken clutch cover bolts
Reply #1 - 03/16/14 at 08:37:39

BUY A TORQUE WRENCH, NOOBS!!!  :'(
Ebay sellers often have sets for about 15.00. I'd check there. Probably less than an individual OEM bolt.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/16/14 at 08:48:15

ace hardware is supposed to have a large collection.

or

http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oempartfinder.htm?aribrand=SUZ&arian=Motorcycle#/S...

$1.16 a bolt

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 03/16/14 at 09:21:05

Boltdepot.com

They have a pretty large selection of anything that I've ever needed.

By the way, what size are those bolts?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/16/14 at 09:34:44

Torque wrench? Naah, 1/4" ratchet & No Closed Fist on it. Thumb on ratchet head & squeeze fingers in, FEELING the bolt as it snugs up. YOu can feel it when it stops. If it leaks, snug a bit more where you think you must, but bolts will tell you when its time to stop, once you learn how to listen,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jimmysmooth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/16/14 at 12:13:03

Thanks, I will check those websites out. I was pretty concerned about tightening too much, so I hand tightened them with a hex bit on a screwdriver. Then it oozed out at the seal. So I tried a little tighter with ratchet, but I went too far.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 03/16/14 at 14:24:56

Id rather have to snug several times than replace busted stuff..
Things dont always go so smooth, ehh Jim?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #7 - 03/16/14 at 17:43:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/16/14 at 09:34:44:
FEELING the bolt as it snugs up. YOu can feel it when it stops....bolts will tell you when its time to stop, once you learn how to listen,

JOG, the Force was weak in this one....  Cheesy

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 03/16/14 at 18:34:45

jimmysmooth wrote on 03/16/14 at 08:29:12:
Recently I took my clutch case cover off to check my tensioner. When I put it back on, I over torqued a couple of the bolts and even broke one. I should have bought a torque wrench. Now I have the wrench, but I can't find replacement bolts anywhere. The hardware stores around me (St. Louis) don't sell a lot of chromed bolts, and Bike Bandit has them on their diagram but doesn't have them listed with a price. I am talking about number 5 and 6 on their diagram. Does anyone have any idea where I can buy or order these?

Harbor Freight has cheap torque wrenches sometimes if you have a coupon or they are having sales  
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=Torque+wrench

I'll look around to see if I can find a place with a parts listing of the bolts

here is a bike parts site with breakdown, see if you can find the bolts and if it tells you the size

http://www.bikebandit.com/1997-suzuki-savage-650-ls650p/o/m147792#sch239634

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 03/16/14 at 20:38:30

Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace, etc. Any place that sells stainless steel metric allen bolts. You really don't want chromed mild steel fasteners rotting away on a visible section of the engine.

And forget about o.e.m. style paper gaskets, gray goop (high temp rtv) works better.

The only easily serviced, torque wrench required fasteners are the clutch basket and drive pulley ones. Everything else, finger tight, retension after a heat cycle or two. You may want a torque wrench for the head cover nuts, but, until you are forced to replace the cam chain, you don't really need one. Even the tensioner widget is just held on with a circlip...

I'm odd, my bike has leaked like an old Triumph Bonneville or pre-Magnum Dodge truck engine since day one. Haven't checked the valves in years, every time I checked them the gap was within spec.

You guys worry too much.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 03/17/14 at 10:05:48

I watched the soft point on the valve adjuster mush down & work harden,
I watched the valves slowly stop needing fiddled with. At 20,000 I tightened them up, just because I want them set on the tite side.

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #11 - 03/17/14 at 10:18:05

Are you sure you didn't strip the threads in the alu casing...? I find it hard to believe you broke a steel bolt before stripping the thread.. Anyway, just as justinoguy explained, that's the only right way to go.. A 1/4 with a snug hand and you're done.. IF it would begin to leak, in which I doubt it will, you can just give them 10 degrees more...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 03/17/14 at 11:36:25

Get 2 plates, put a bolt thru, put a nut & bolt in, use 1/4" ,, something small, use cheap, crappy bolts & feel of them. Strip a few, get close to stripping them, pull a nut & flip it & try to put it back on.. Youll know it was stressed if it wont go "upside down". The threads will be distorted.
Youll get the feel of a bolt that has hit its max clamping force. Yea, youll waste an hour or more & spend a coupla bucks on stuff to ruin, but in the long run, youll save hours of hassles & who knows how many dollars.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #13 - 03/17/14 at 12:56:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/17/14 at 10:05:48:
I watched the soft point on the valve adjuster mush down & work harden,
I watched the valves slowly stop needing fiddled with. At 20,000 I tightened them up, just because I want them set on the tite side.

What is the benefit to a bit on the tight side (except maybe eliminating the tick). On my VW they recommended a little loose so they didn't burn.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 03/17/14 at 15:47:27

On the tight side of the specs,, not tighter than spec, ever. Hey, I paid for a cam that lifts & holds them open,, the least I can do is set them to open as far as I can, safely..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:22:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken clutch cover bolts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.