Spokes - Clean up??? (Read 327 times)
procrastinator
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brownsville,Texas.
Spokes - Clean up???
03/06/14 at 14:37:19

Hey guys the spokes on my 2001 LS650 look like crap is there any way to clean them up and bring them back to like new ?

WP_20140306_002.jpg

" might as well be walking on the sun "
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Re: Spokes - Clean up???
Reply #1 - 03/06/14 at 21:24:47

I've heard of using the outer cover from parachute cord.  Cut a comfortable length and pull out the center part then make one complete wrap around the spoke and a dab of some cleaner or polish and saw it back and forth up and down the spoke...mat take you a while though   Undecided

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #2 - 03/07/14 at 00:43:05

I've had the same thought with my savage.. Unfortunately they are not chromed, but only galvanised.. The only option would be to give them a good scrub with a steel brush attached to a drilling tool, but it may just make matters worse and they'll get more corroded.. The best option would be to relace the rims with chromed spokes, else I would say leave them be...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 03/07/14 at 01:15:31

Appliance epoxy comes in "stainless steel look" these days... as well as gloss black, gloss white and gloss almond.

My Savage's front wheel is as old as I am and looks fine... the bike is a 98, the wheel, early 1970s...

One of these days I need to final coat or buff the hoop. And polish the brake plate.

No, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you, I hated the stock wheel, and an early Suzuki Titan hub/hoop with early Honda CB450 brake plate fit like it was made for the Savage...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 03/07/14 at 12:42:58

You can clean bikes? Smiley

Hey WD, you're gonna hook up your front brake?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/07/14 at 15:04:18

you have the choice to replace them or paint them.

If you wanted something shiney...

http://www.eastwood.com/almost-chrome-aerosol-paint.html

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 03/07/14 at 23:30:56

Arnold wrote on 03/07/14 at 12:42:58:
You can clean bikes? Smiley

Hey WD, you're gonna hook up your front brake?

Eventually. If I can ever manage to con it into running properly again. Cheap crap weak sister imitation electrical system on these things is driving me nuts at the moment. And that's AFTER deleting all the known issues it had almost 4 years ago...  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 03/09/14 at 03:39:38

If you go to Harbor Freights or most any hardware store you can buy these flexable foam sanding pads in different grit. Buy a fine one. It will wrap around the spoke and just wipe up and down and they will look like new. A little bit more work and they almost look like chrome. Might take a half hour to a hour to do the all of the  front spokes but looks great when finished.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/09/14 at 16:45:30

stinger wrote on 03/09/14 at 03:39:38:
If you go to Harbor Freights or most any hardware store you can buy these flexable foam sanding pads in different grit. Buy a fine one. It will wrap around the spoke and just wipe up and down and they will look like new. A little bit more work and they almost look like chrome. Might take a half hour to a hour to do the all of the  front spokes but looks great when finished.

The spokes are steel, and have a protective plating that eventually tarnishes.  If you start sanding the remaining plating off.....the spoke will rust quickly.  You should not be sanding on the spokes unless you are going to paint them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/09/14 at 19:39:07

v-pilot wrote on 03/06/14 at 21:24:47:
I've heard of using the outer cover from parachute cord.  Cut a comfortable length and pull out the center part then make one complete wrap around the spoke and a dab of some cleaner or polish and saw it back and forth up and down the spoke...mat take you a while though   Undecided

After trying several approaches I went for this. It can put enough friction on them to make them too hot to touch. Even this, tho, wont bring them back to pretty. Theyre aluminum, & if youll look closely, youll see that the side thats facing forward on the top of the axle is more nasty looking than the back side. Thats pitting from sand & whatnot,, You cant fix that w/o polishing the surface smooth,, & yer not iguana get that done, I promise you..  What you will do is spend a few hours & wear your butt out to gain a 30% improvement.. After doing what I did, getting the results I got, my recommendation is, wash the bike, wax it, & ride it. Heck with the spokes. Keep the rim chrome up & itll look fine,.
Aluminum spokes suck for pretty.. ride it, man,,
IF you decide youre determined to clean them, pull the wheel & lay it on a 5 gallon bucket. Youll never do it again,,
I used Turtle Wax chrome polish. Maybe something a bit more abrasive, like rubbing compound would yield better results with less effort. I went thru several lengths of cord. They eventually break from all that rubbin & scrubbin.. But parachute cord with the innards removed proved to be the best way to scrub them. With some thinking youll be able to wrap it so it will walk down onto the nipple & even run between where the spokes cross.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/10/14 at 04:59:27

JOG.

I am pretty sure the spokes aren't aluminum - but plated steel.  I don't haven any factory spokes around here - somebody take a magnet to the spokes and see if they are magenetic.

I respoked my wheels and used stainless spokes from Buchanan's.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 03/10/14 at 18:04:53

Ya know,, nowchew mention it,, I didnt get the gobs of black goo Id expect from albumium,, AND,, Albumium otta polish up easier & better than they did,, Ill bet youre right,, that kinda stress on aluminum is probably a coupla steps outside of smart.,.

Whatever they are, dont use Turtle Wax chrome polish,, It didnt wurk wurfaHOOT! IF I was gonna take another run at it, Id use rubbing compound on a couple of them & see how it does.. Mine is gone, Ill not be doin that again,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
procrastinator
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brownsville,Texas.
Reply #12 - 03/10/14 at 21:05:19

Ok THANKS guys. I think for now I'm just gonna keep the shine up on the rim and worry about it later.  
I've seen some really nice spokes on a few different sites at so-so prices. What might I be looking at to have them put on ??

" might as well be walking on the sun "
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/10/14 at 21:11:46

procrastinator wrote on 03/10/14 at 21:05:19:
Ok THANKS guys. I think for now I'm just gonna keep the shine up on the rim and worry about it later.  
I've seen some really nice spokes on a few different sites at so-so prices. What might I be looking at to have them put on ??

I think for now I'm just gonna keep the shine up on the rim and worry about it later.  

Im shawked!  Whats your name again?

Why even bother asking? Its a lot more hassle than polishing,,& it costs more, too,, RIDE that Sucka, Duuude!  Dont worry bout them spokes,, have fun.,,IF someone walks up & straight up TELLS you you need to DO something about those spokes,, just hand him a rag & walk AWFF..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 03/11/14 at 09:55:37

procrastinator wrote on 03/10/14 at 21:05:19:

Well....since you asked.  Buchannan's is great.  Stainless steel spokes are about $ 100 a set, they charge about $ 100 to lace and true a wheel for you.....the spokes look great when they are done and they will never rust.
http://www.buchananspokes.net/

If you can fiind someone to lace the wheels up for you and true them....you can save that part.  It takes a long time to lace and true a wheel for a beginner like me, and I spend about 3-4 hours a wheel.  The back wheel is a piece of cake and you can install the inner spokes first, then do the outer ones.....then tighten and true up the wheel.  The front one is difficult as the small hub diameter and lacing pattern requires you to simultaneously do inner and outer spokes....and I have to use straws to help hold them in place while I make attempts to get the spokes installed in some kind of efficient manner.

IMG_0368.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 11:27:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spokes - Clean up???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.