Send Topic Print
Spokes - Clean up??? (Read 327 times)
533clive

Knuckle scraper, and
airbrush artist

Andover, Hants, UK
Re: Spokes - Clean up???
Reply #15 - 03/11/14 at 13:25:34

Am I being thick here, or could you not just cut one spoke out, put new one in, cut next replace, etc, etc

1990 bobbered Savage, and a 1996 work in progress

www.airborneartwerx.co.uk
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 03/11/14 at 13:52:48

can be done, but in certain instances like when you have a cross 4 pattern, can be real tough.

WWW   IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #17 - 03/11/14 at 13:52:55

They protrude into the rim at the nipple just a little and the way they are laced you can't fiddle them out without seriously bending them and then there is the issue of keeping the wheel true

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 03/12/14 at 05:30:51

533clive wrote on 03/11/14 at 13:25:34:
Am I being thick here, or could you not just cut one spoke out, put new one in, cut next replace, etc, etc

You can only do that for the spokes in the rear wheel that are pushed from the center of the hub to the outside.  The spokes that are pushed through the hub from the outside to the inside can't be wiggled into the correct position in the rim.....too many spokes in the way.

On the front wheel all the spokes are pushed from the outside of the hub to the center....and it is quite a dance to get them all installed properly.  You cannot do one at a time.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 03/19/14 at 10:01:40

These guys...
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/home.htm
They do awesome work...
personally, i don't sweat the spokes but if it really bugs you you could give 'em a call...shipping the wheels would probably cost you a fortune...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #20 - 03/19/14 at 11:26:21

I got a stock spoke kit though a mail order supplier w/nipples for under $60. Rigged up a truing stand in my vise, took good notes as I disassembled the wheel and used a dial indicator to build it back. It came out great. The old spokes were pitted and rusted (yup steel). There's no way to get em back (except paint), I don't think
This route isn't for everyone, but it's an option. I had good results.
Just one more thing, I didn't have much success dealing with Buchannan. I got on a circular voice mail and gave up after getting back to the same one for the second time. My email also went unanswered. That's when I ordered the stockers. Good luck.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 03/19/14 at 12:40:58

cafecarl wrote on 03/19/14 at 11:26:21:
Just one more thing, I didn't have much success dealing with Buchannan. I got on a circular voice mail and gave up after getting back to the same one for the second time. My email also went unanswered. That's when I ordered the stockers. Good luck.

That is a shame you had touble - I don't believe that is common.  I had great success with them, and they even made up a set for my 18" front and back rims from an email sent with photos and part descriptions - it all went smooth as silk.  Another fellow in this site took his stuff over in person and they punched his rim at the correct angle and got him spokes while he waited.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #22 - 03/20/14 at 11:12:42

v-pilot wrote on 03/06/14 at 21:24:47:
I've heard of using the outer cover from parachute cord.  Cut a comfortable length and pull out the center part then make one complete wrap around the spoke and a dab of some cleaner or polish and saw it back and forth up and down the spoke...mat take you a while though   Undecided
This method works very well... However takes some time mothers mag and aluminum polish is excellent for cleaning and polishing spokes. Also, 5/32" parachute cord is what I'm currently using. I'm a believer, you can buy 50' of cord for like $ 6 or less compared to $25 for a polish impregnated lace such as luster lace for example.  Smiley

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:37:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spokes - Clean up???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.