Send Topic Print
2006 S40 Oil question (Read 258 times)
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2006 S40 Oil question
03/03/14 at 19:09:48

I have been doing some looking at different oil posts for my 2006 S40. Can you tell me, in your opinions, if using the Spectro 10w-40 Semi Synthetic oil would have enough of the ZDDP in it for the S40? I have my idle at about 1100 to 1200 rpms. It was a little lower than that for about a day but I turned it up to make sure I was not going to have engine problems. right now there is about 9,000 miles on it and I know I will be getting with Versy this summer to do the cam tensioner mod. I planned on checking it at about 12,00 miles and have been listening all the time for the cam sound of death. Thank you very much. S40 guy.  Smiley

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: 2006 S40 Oil question
Reply #1 - 03/03/14 at 20:30:44

I did a bit of research a few months ago and I don't think you can have to much regardless of which oil you choose.  I went to amazon and bought a 4-pack of zddplus.  
Incidentally, I have been very impressed with Rotella Dino as well as T6.  Check this out of you haven't yet.   Wink

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 03/04/14 at 19:05:24

According to my research, you CAN have too much zinc in your oil.  I've found that levels approaching 2000 ppm can have a detrimental effect on your engine.

I use Shell Rotella T 15W-40 with 2 ounces of Redline ZDDP booster.  Off the top of my head I think that puts my oil at around 1200-1500 ppm.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 03/05/14 at 03:31:35

Kris01 wrote on 03/04/14 at 19:05:24:
According to my research, you CAN have too much zinc in your oil.  I've found that levels approaching 2000 ppm can have a detrimental effect on your engine.

I use Shell Rotella T 15W-40 with 2 ounces of Redline ZDDP booster.  Off the top of my head I think that puts my oil at around 1200-1500 ppm.

I use Rotella T with 2 onces of ZDDP additive as well.  You are correct regarding the 2k ppm, that would be a lot!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 03/05/14 at 04:31:13

Rotella straight up here.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/05/14 at 13:15:03

I saw a Savage with 90+ thousand miles on it some years ago. Like maybe 06 or 07. From the looks of it, it was never pampered. Id bet it never saw any ZDDP. It probably didnt have the benefit of Rotella. Not everyone knows about it. Putting some ZDDP in cant be a bad plan, but Id be willing to bet that just running Rotella-T will keep the engine alive for so long the rest of it will be plenty shabby & youll be way tired of it. Ive come to the point in life where I see the end of things, including me. I am a lot more REasoned in my behavior toward things. I see no reason to go to the ends of the world to keep an engine alive for years past the chassis. Im all for avoiding allowing poor maintenance habits creating repairs, but going above & beyond what is necessary just so I can feel superior to everyone else? Never did.. Its almost the same emotional thinking the truly uninformed often express when talking about gasoline
"I only give my BayBee Premium, cuz she deserves the best",, just dumping $$ in a hole for nothing,, The questions I ask myself now are
Will this time & $$$ Im investing actually change the USEful life of the machine? If not, Im backing off.. Ive even slowed down oil changes on the lawnmower,, I can SEE the future of that thing,, it uses Zero oil after 7 years, runs really well. The death of it will be in the deck & transmission areas. Busting my butt to keep that engine in Super Shape? Why? Ill get at least 5 more years out of the engine at this rate. I dont see the deck & steering & drive axle & all that making it more than another 5 years,
So, look down the road, decide how you want to keep things. Dont allow "training" to be what decides for you how you spend your time & $$$. Im not suggesting being lazy & not taking care of things, Im just saying that sometimes what we've been taught may be costing us time & $$$ unnecessarily.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/05/14 at 13:24:10

JOG

You probably just shot holes in my chainsaw maintenance program.  I have Pro-Grade Stihl saws probably good for about 1,000 hours of use, I use good synthetic oil and non-ethanol gas.  I suppose I put about  5 - 10 hours of actual cutting time on them a year, most the time I spend on the wood gathering chores is spent dragging brush, splitting or moving and stacking the downed trees.

So it appears.....my saws have another 80 years of use left in them? Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/05/14 at 18:56:23

Are you diligent about emptying the fuel & running them dry? If so, maybe the non ethanol is a step beyond. If theyre modern enough that the manufacturer should expect to see ethanol fuels, then the little, fidgety carbs are problee okay on plaino pump gas,, I think the W-650 isnt okay with it,, the accelerator pump diaphragm died,, it was ate up.. I have a saw I left with fuel in it, after almost a year it fired right up. Taking care of something like a high $$$ chain saw, youre not spending much $$ or time ABOVE what youd spend if you didnt go with the best. Youre not using enough gas or oil in a year to matter either way, if you went the cheap route, what would you save? 5 or 10 bucks? Youre not wasting your life worrying over them or spending much. Something that gets used an hour & set up for 6 months? When its time to go, you dont want to have to spend 3 hours cleaning a carb up..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #8 - 03/05/14 at 20:42:55

I use Kendall Liquid Titanium GT-1 High Performance 20W-50.....it already has the zinc in it.

This is a conventional (Non-Synthetic) motor oil

I use this for breaking in new or rebuilt engines

Buy it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kendall-1057267-Performance-20W-50-Titanium/dp/B004RNSO2M

http://pitstopusa.com/c-135752-oil-fluids-paint-motor-oil-kendall-motor-oil-k...

http://www.industrial-oil.net/kegthipemooi.html

http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/documents/conoco/industrial_oils/Ken%20GT...

After your engine is properly broken in you can use any one of these synthetic motor oils.....be aware some may not have zinc in them

Buy the synthetic oils here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-ke...

Buy the Synthetic with the zinc already in it here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-ke...

Buy the zinc additive here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-...

AND Finally, here is a link to Hy-Per Lube Oil additive....great stuff--it
works!!

http://www.amazon.com/Hy-Per-Lube-Oil-Supplement-Quart/dp/B001DKP66Y/ref=sr_1...

HAPPY MOTORING !! Smiley

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #9 - 03/05/14 at 20:46:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/05/14 at 13:15:03:
Ive come to the point in life where I see the end of things, including me. I am a lot more REasoned in my behavior toward things.

JOG, yep. I'm 62 and yeah, stuff dies.  Immortality if an illusion. Do your regular maintenance and identified issues and accept reality.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 03/05/14 at 22:19:31

S-P wrote on 03/05/14 at 20:46:15:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/05/14 at 13:15:03:
Ive come to the point in life where I see the end of things, including me. I am a lot more REasoned in my behavior toward things.

JOG, yep. I'm 62 and yeah, stuff dies.  Immortality if an illusion. Do your regular maintenance and identified issues and accept reality.

Speak fer yer'sef'...  Angry...

Of all my delusions,.. it's my immortality I cherish most...
Grin...

...(not so much, that I'd waste money on ZDDP additive... just straight Rottella)...
I'm not totally crazy... Huh...
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 03/06/14 at 16:25:01

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate for a sec...

If the bike/engine was engineered to run on whatever grade of oil was prevelent at the time and the oil formula changed (less zinc nowadays), then wouldn't it be prudent to add enough zinc to equal the quantity in the older oil that the bike was designed to use?

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/07/14 at 05:14:03

Kris01 wrote on 03/06/14 at 16:25:01:

If the bike/engine was engineered to run on whatever grade of oil was prevelent at the time and the oil formula changed (less zinc nowadays), then wouldn't it be prudent to add enough zinc to equal the quantity in the older oil that the bike was designed to use?

YUP!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 03/07/14 at 17:21:38

Dave wrote on 03/07/14 at 05:14:03:
Kris01 wrote on 03/06/14 at 16:25:01:

YUP!

That makes me feel a little better after ordering some zddplus.  I would want to kick myself if my rockers looked like the ones Dave posted a bit back at 17K.  I hope to enjoy my S40 for many years to come.   Cool

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 03/08/14 at 10:17:23

pg wrote on 03/07/14 at 17:21:38:
I hope to enjoy my S40 for many years to come.   Cool

I also have a 2001 Mustang with ~130k on the clock.  It has NEVER been in the shop nor has it ever needed to. I perform proper maintenance religiously and it has never let me down!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:26:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2006 S40 Oil question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.