Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cheap bacon, cheap clothes, cheap tools..... (Read 114 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Cheap bacon, cheap clothes, cheap tools.....
03/02/14 at 14:47:26

Doan know bout you, but I have really taken to INTERNET shopping/buying. We order a lot of stuff, almost daily a truck makes a stop. We buy anything from coffee, toilet paper, household items, you name it, prolly bought it.
Can't say I've been thrilled with each purchase, some....downright pizzed. We use Amazon Prime when we can, it seems to offer the best bang for the buck.
It's hard to discern quality, price not always being a factor, and somethings I just won't buy online as I need to see/touch it.
I've bought meat, but I'll tell you, its not my favorite way, even the Omaha type PRICED ones just don't seem as good as they look on the ads.....  Angry
All in all, considering my circumstance of where I live and the limited easy shopping destinations without hopping and paying for a ferry...which adds 30 bucks or more to the purchase price, we are pretty happy....AND, I can shop while wearing nut'm more than my socks and undies, try THAT.... in the mall  Kiss

Anybody else buy much online, and how has it worked, good, bad, or ugly, for you?

Oh..... and I know its just a matter of time, but I love NOT having to pay sales TAX on most purchases  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cheap bacon, cheap clothes, cheap tools.....
Reply #1 - 03/02/14 at 15:06:17

Amazon is my base line pricing on just about everything.

Sometimes Walmart will have a better price on sale or discontinuance -- but never generally a better day to day price.

New Egg does beat Amazon on sale, every time.   But that's on sale, and on sale Wally can beat Amazon too.

Like I said, Amazon is my base line pricing ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 03/02/14 at 15:51:45

I Only buy stuff on the net if I can't get it locally.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 03/02/14 at 19:00:34

I usually look online for prices and if local is cheaper (some times going and getting it is faster) i'll buy local. Most of the stuff for parts and pieces and household hardware i'll buy online, I replaced all my fire/smoke/o2 alarms really cheaply and from the company that actually make them.
Food stuffs we can mostly get local (10 min either way) so we shop for cheapest that route, however, there are times when they do not have the product we want and I will order it online.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #4 - 03/02/14 at 20:13:17

When I was growing up, every household had a Sears Roebuck catalog.  We bought an awful lot from that catalog, mostly stuff that we couldn't find in local stores, or when we specifically wanted Sears products-Craftsman tools, Kenmore Appliances, etc.  I had relatives who lived twenty miles from the nearest town, and there wasn't much there.  Almost everything they bought was from the Sears catalog.  Times change.  Now it is Amazon, but the story is the same.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 03/03/14 at 07:09:25

Shopping is shopping... the net is now just another venue for me to muddle through.

Eletronics 99.99% Newegg. First they have great service.. and DO I do mean GREAT. Selection is superior, quality is what it is..its all made in China. I even bought my 50" TV from them. I have bought enough parts to have built about 10 PC's. But there is NO real brick and mortor store that can compete with them locally.

Bike parts - 50/50 online and at the local shops.

Car parts - Auto zone. Local or online

Clothes - local

Food - local

Ammo - online/ local if I can find it.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 03/03/14 at 07:31:12

Ammo online? do you have to get it shipped to a dealer?
How do you go about doing that? I'd like to know because being near two air force bases and a navy base there is no ammo to be found that is anywhere near the price it used to be.
9mm is going for about $1 a round now....way to expensive, and can't even find .38 special for the wife.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #7 - 03/03/14 at 09:21:55

Wanted to get the wife a cardigan sweater for Valentines day as she is really into those and has worn out the previous one. I go to Amazon with a lot of apprehension because I have never purchased clothes on-line but it is soo hard to find these kinds of garments locally.

I end up buying 5 very different selections with the caveat that we send back the one ones that don't fit and she doesn't like. Fearing none will fit I formulate a backup plan that involves scouring the city's garment districts. Turns out they all fit and she likes them all, the styles were unique, the prices were right and they all fit as required.

I must admit that I was very surprized to hit 100% with 5 different items my first time through. I only bought itmes that specifically stated that items could be returned for any reason.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/03/14 at 09:42:30

With Temecula and Cabazon both within an hour's ride for you...
I find it hard to believe you can't find these locally.

But I too like amazon or online in general for convenience of variety and price.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/03/14 at 10:07:30

I do buy a lot of things online....I can find the things I need without driving around and ending up with nothing.  The Lowe's, Home-Depot and other chain hardware stores all seem to have the same suppliers and products....same with Autozone, Advance Auto, etc.

A few weeks ago I needed some white vinyl pinstriping tape and hit all the auto stores.....and I finally found a roll that had the plastic packaging yellowed from age.  I bought it and found out that it was so old the adhesive would not let the tape come of the roll without damaging the tape.  I bought it online and got a fresh roll directly from 3M.

I has also tried to find some 1/2 inch wide masking tape.....and none of the big box or local hardware stores had it.....and I ordered it online.

I try to buy local when I can - but too often all the driving around gets me nothing if I am looking for things other that are just slightly out of the ordinary.  And it is surprising how often I need stuff that is just weird enough that it is not available local.....last week is was some brass tubing and stailess bar stock that came from Online Metals.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 03/03/14 at 10:07:36

raydawg wrote on 03/02/14 at 14:47:26:
Oh..... and I know its just a matter of time, but I love NOT having to pay sales TAX on most purchases  Grin

As a previous state sales tax auditor, I will just warn you that even though the vendor is not charging you the sales tax, in many states you are usually required to remit it as "USE TAX" on an annual income tax return.

Used to catch lots of businesses on that oversight, but seeing it happen more and more on individuals too.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/05/14 at 10:45:40

I try to support local merchants first. IF the online price is so much less that buying local is just stupid, then I will do that. I sure dont want to contribute to the bankruptcy of local merchants. I go to a small hardware store, closest one to home, but often a little more expensive. The price difference is okay, it saves me time, theyre very quick to offer help finding things, everyone knows the store & the products pretty well & makes the shopping quicker. Ill pay more for the less driving & quicker/easier shopping.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 03/05/14 at 19:32:46

I will buy local too. If I can.  I'm not paying twice or more the online price for the same item. But, I will happily pay a little (reasonable amount) more to get it 'now' and to have help available.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 03/06/14 at 04:11:47

Yea local first if possible, in fact as far as tools I'd rather get good quality used tools that will last the long haul then buy possibly questionable quality stuff like at Harbor Freight. Many a garage/yard/moving sale has yielded the majority of my tools at a fraction of the cost new.  Best buy ever was a professional furniture/wood planner I picked up for $20 and sold after using for $250   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/06/14 at 07:41:53

Best buy ever was a professional furniture/wood planner I picked up for $20 and sold after using for $250.

WOW!! What a deal! Id still be giggling..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:16:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cheap bacon, cheap clothes, cheap tools.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.