Send Topic Print
Speedometer accuracy? (Read 156 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Speedometer accuracy?
02/21/14 at 17:39:37

Ok, so I've read that the stock speedometer is about 14% off.  Does it read too fast or too slow?  In other words, if my speedometer is reading 50, am I actually going 57 or 43 mph?

I've also read that a 140/90-15 rear tire will help the speedometer read more accurately.  How much closer to actual speed?

Has anyone ever checked the stock speedometer against a GPS or a calibrated bicycle speedometer?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Speedometer accuracy?
Reply #1 - 02/21/14 at 18:51:00

I doubt that it's that far off.
and yes, 140/90-15 fixes it, so it's more like 5 or 6%
but it sure to vary.
and yes, more than 1 person has checked it.

fyi, all (all as in everything) speedos are fast, otherwise everyone would be getting tickets.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 02/21/14 at 21:20:32

Most bike speedo's read 5 to 7mph higher than you are actually going... (probably some legal thing,... or just to make you feel fast)...
Grin...
90 profile rear tire does a fair job correcting this...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 02/22/14 at 05:24:29

Yea my stock speedo was around 5Mph over actual speed.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 02/22/14 at 12:35:13

I live in a small town where 30 mph means 30 mph, not 31. So if I change to a 140/90-15 I should be ok and not worry too much about getting a ticket (provided I ride at the speed limit)?

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 02/22/14 at 13:58:01

Yuppers...  ... but, don't come cryin' to me if I'm wrong... Grin...
..(tires vary a little bit by brand and style + there's tire wear)...
No speedo's 100% accurate...

140/90-15 is as close as ya' gonna' get... Huh...

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 02/22/14 at 22:50:17

I always thought my speedo was a little slow but, the gps said it was bang on.  Why does the tire size matter though?  The measuring device is in the front and it doesn't know what's going on in the back?   Huh

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/23/14 at 00:16:32

Speedo drive comes outta the engine block, r/ side.. If the rear wheel was 3 inches tall, the speedo would be tellin ya you were running 70 when you were movin about 5 miles per hour,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/24/14 at 07:46:24

pg wrote on 02/22/14 at 22:50:17:
I always thought my speedo was a little slow but, the gps said it was bang on.  Why does the tire size matter though?  The measuring device is in the front and it doesn't know what's going on in the back?   Huh

Some motorcyles use the front wheel to drive the speedo.  This was done so that rear wheel spin would not show a false mileage, and sprocket/gearing changes would not affect the speedometer accuracy.

The Savage speedometer drive is from the transmission - so having a larger or smaller back tire does make a difference.  Larger tires travel more distance with each revolution......and the speedometer is not able to compensate for the tire changes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 02/24/14 at 07:51:17

Thanks JOG & Dave.  I must of been thinking about the KLR, I hope or I just gaffed that one.   Cheesy

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 02/24/14 at 07:58:02

Well, you could do what I did. I put a bicycle and a gps on the handle bars, that way if you get stopped and the police officer says you were doing 31 in a 30, you just tell him his gear is off and needs recalibrated cause you have three instruments telling you the same speed.
If you get the dell 100 bicycle speedo, the top/avg. speeds are stored, so if the tell you that you were doing % over the speed limit, just call it up and say... um nope... looky here.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 02/24/14 at 08:10:24

But oldrider,... that would require actually going the speed limit... Undecided...

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 02/24/14 at 08:21:58

I ain't gonna lie, down here on Highway 98, the mean speed is 10 miles an hour over posted (minimum), if you aren't doing that you are causing a problem (I cause a lot of problems). Even through a posted 35 mph construction area (with a double the fine sign) people are doing 50, but not in my lane Smiley The area was previously 45mph, but they have cones and concrete to block off the construction crew areas (concrete walls were they are actually working) because they KNOW someone would run off the road and hit some worker or equipment when it rains.
About once a week the state or county will put up a speed trap, but its not often enough, they drive VERY offensively down here, and I don't mean offensive as in the other side of defense... I mean offensive in the term used for Aholes that don't care about others and think they own the road.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
paulchristi
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

My other bike is a
surfboard

Tucson, Arizona
Reply #13 - 02/25/14 at 05:31:57

I always try to be a good driver, but.....two weeks ago I was popped for going 30 in a 25 mph construction zone.  There was a line of cars pulling away from me (I was last in the line after a signal), and the cop just pulled in behind the line and pulled me over.  Fair?  no.   Was I speeding?  yes.

I brought this up to a cop friend, and he said "When you go fishing, do you only try to catch the biggest fish?"

I'd rather spend my money on something else, so it's the speed limit for me from now on.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 02/25/14 at 18:30:45

I agree completely.  Any time I've ever been caught speeding I had absolutely no reason to complain.  I was speeding...no excuses.  Do the crime, do the time.  My money is better spent elsewhere.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:14:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedometer accuracy?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.