65747-94 Dyna Install (Read 659 times)
Rush-rks

Lurking &
Learning

Beckley WV
Re: 65747-94 Dyna Install
Reply #30 - 03/13/14 at 09:49:18

Serowbot wrote on 03/13/14 at 09:20:46:
Use a smaller can... that one is probably thicker tin and hard to cut and bend...
Never work harder than you need to... Grin...

OK thanks..I wasn't sure about the thickness will look for a smaller one.

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard bone stock other than idle-mix adjustment out 3/4 turn from factory setting
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #31 - 03/13/14 at 18:15:07

I used some red silicone from a tube for mine, is that bad?! did it over the winter. I also had to cut off some of my header pipe so the muffler would fit snug with the block on the header. That's where i used that silicone stuff. Still have to warm up the bike so the silicone sets into place

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 03/16/14 at 04:49:32

Silicone can handle temperatures that the engine block and cylinder head see - but the exhaust is way too hot for silicone sealant.  It works on exhaust headers on car engines because the block is a big heat sink that is water cooled.....but once the exhaust is out in the tube area he temperatures are just too high.

I really don't know if the silicone will hurt anything...but it will burn up and probably not help the seal anything.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 03/17/14 at 12:43:20

I had the same problems installing mine.   I bought reducers which ended up not working and then I fashioned one from a crimped can as your being told to,  but nothing would stop the leaks,  and my exhaust was still just pointing directly on the rear brake line.   I called around here in Houston and stumbled upon a guy who builds his own mufflers which it turns out are quite well known in the motorcycling world,  Jemco Exhaust,  and I got him to fabricate a coupler that he cut from 2 different diameters of pipe and he put an angle on it,  I'd say between 6-10 degrees,  and just welded them up.   Then the difficulty was getting the muffler on the bracket as they were not lined up correctly.   So I suggested he take his gas welder and heat up my bracket and bend it to match,  which he did and it matched perfectly.   To secure it in he actually made a bolt from some thick metal plate he had and cut it so it would just slide in but long enough that when putting the bolt in it wouldn't spin around.   Now my exhaust is air tight and bent out properly,  it looks and sounds great.   Cost me $40.  That was money is rather not have had to spend I originally wanted to just do it myself,  but in the end I'm glad I went this route for such a good job and a proper running muffler and engine.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 03/17/14 at 13:08:39

As the previous post says....and angled adapter is the most reliiable method.  Here is a link to the dimensions you need:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1353284557

If you keep the adapter short like this....the standard mount works just fine.

You can also use the RYCA adapter....although it is about a 10 degree angle instead of the 6 dewgrees I used.  It is still closer than not usiing one.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #35 - 03/20/14 at 16:22:11

I bought a 1.75" exhaust extension pipe at Autozone and used Dave's measurements to make a piece.  I cut about 2/3 through and cut out the wedge to make the bend and had my friend weld the cut. I expanded the header end to fit the header with a small pipe expander. It tended to "scallop" the opening so I would stagger the turns by moving the tool.  It also wanted to taper the expansion since the tool was longer than the depth I wanted so I cut a small ring of pipe that I put at the end of the expansion wedges to allow even pressure. Dyna fits over one end perfect. Expanded end over header fit to size. Used t-clamps. After bike was up to temp I tightened down clamp at header and all trace of scallop disappeared.  I borrowed the tool but Harbor Freight sells them for about $15.  No leaks and just enough length to use muffler mount with one bolt.  Just experiment with the piece before welding to check the angle of the muffler and that you can line up the mount. Its regular exhaust pipe so needs some choice of cover but job is pretty easy to do if access to welder.

IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #36 - 03/22/14 at 20:27:33

Dave wrote on 03/16/14 at 04:49:32:
Silicone can handle temperatures that the engine block and cylinder head see - but the exhaust is way too hot for silicone sealant.  It works on exhaust headers on car engines because the block is a big heat sink that is water cooled.....but once the exhaust is out in the tube area he temperatures are just too high.

I really don't know if the silicone will hurt anything...but it will burn up and probably not help the seal anything.
well it's specifically made to use as an exhaust gasket. does that make a difference?

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #37 - 03/22/14 at 20:34:21

[/quote]well it's specifically made to use as an exhaust gasket. does that make a difference?
[/quote]

Hm. I've never heard of "exhaust silicone", but if it is good stuff it could solve some of the leak issues some folks have with the Dyna/Savage tube diameter issue.  A bead of that stuff around the "tin can gasket" and clamped in place might be a very cool thing. Let us know how it works out.

IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #38 - 03/23/14 at 11:17:13

yeah I pretty much cut the header so the dyna muffler can sit snug against the blocker on the heade pipe, and squeezed a clean bead of gasket around and sandwiched it between the two pieces of metal. Still haven't gotten it up to temp so it can cure since i did all this in november.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #39 - 03/23/14 at 16:03:33

Will the Ryca adapter help seal better than not having an adapter at all? I'm at my wit's end chasing a leak!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:28:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 65747-94 Dyna Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.