Send Topic Print
shock struts?? (Read 429 times)
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

shock struts??
02/19/14 at 07:08:44

Hi peeps,
I'm toying with the idea of fitting solid struts and a sprung seat instead of the original shocks, it'll lower the bike and look a lal bit cooler, and since the original shocks are crap anyway a sprung seat should have the same amount of give??

I'm a tad nervous to do this though because of things ive read over the web, such as possible broken frames, bad handling, broken spines etc

i can understand the rear wheel skipping round a bend, but since i don't ride it like i stole it that may not be too much of an issue, any thoughts about the stresses involved? what about the swingarm? since its designed to erm swing if it was locked in a certain position and the inevitable happened (bad potholes) could it send a serious amount of shock through the swing arm bearings???

id like to hear any thoughts and experiences....

cheers
mike

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: shock struts??
Reply #1 - 02/19/14 at 07:49:08

Being an old fart I started riding when all the used budget motorcycles were hard tails and they are very hard on your back. When you hit a series of irregularities in the pavement the handling is bad regardless of your speed.  We were happy kids when we finally put together enough money to buy a motorcycle with shocks in the back.

I don't think that solid struts will impose any extra forces on your swing arm bearings, just worry about the forces on your spine, it is harder to repair.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 02/19/14 at 08:31:59

You seem to have a good grasp of the negatives...
The only positive is liking the look...

Women don't wear stiletto heels for their health either...

You like the look, go for it... you won't be winning any races...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/19/14 at 09:26:54

My experience with riding a hard tail is.....never rode one.

Before winter set in I saw a hardtail Harley Bobber going through Newport, KY.  As he entered the intesection his back tire hit a rough spot in the road, and the rear tire came up off the pavement briefly, then he and the bike bounced and wobbled for a bit.  Not sure what would have happened on a real pothole.

I know that with the original suspension on the rural Kentucky roads I have hit some bumps or potholes that bottomed out the suspension and really smacked me into the seat.  Since I have done a Cafe' conversion and put on longer travel shocks.....the bike rides much better.

If you get some struts and bolt them on......it is easily reversible and you will get an idea if the ride is something you can live with.  The springer seat is not going to make anly difference in the way the bike handles - but could make a little bit of difference in the ride comfort.

I would imagine if you make short rides on smooth roads, you might be able to tolerate the ride.  If you have bumpy roads and go for long rides, I suspect the ride will just wear you out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 02/20/14 at 00:18:12

Since I'm THE rigid frame fanatic on the board... 25 psi in the rear tire. 5 inch barrel style springs, the clothespin type are garbage unless/until supplemented with a small barrel spring. As much pressure as the front tire can take if sticking with a hydraulic front end. If switching to a springer front end, 30-35 psi tops in the front.

I HATE hydraulic forks and swingarm frames. They look like crap, they handle like crap, and they ride like crap. A rigid frame looks clean, has zero inherent wobble, and if you can figure out your rear tire pressure and seat spring combo, ride fine.

Try out a set of struts, and if you like the handling tightened up (and boy will it tighten up), buy a weld on rigid conversion kit and do it right. That's for the next year or so with mine. Plan to ride it as built for  awhile and then chop it up again and do it right.

I've had over 100 street motorcycles, mostly ancient rigids. I really, really, miss 6v kick only, points fired, mechanically actuated carburetor instead of that vacuum actuated want to be modern crap trying to pass itself off as a real carburetor, rigid framed springer equipped motorcycles.

And for the sake of your kidneys, DO NOT install a hard mounted seat... made that mistake a couple times.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/21/14 at 09:15:51

Thanks for the reply guys, i think i will stick to the shocks, my back isn't in the best of shape as it is (pelvis likes to move outa alignment), i suppose being able to ride it longer (and harder if need be) will overcome the slightly more appeasing look of the machine....

I was looking at the voodoo vintage hardtail, and its a bit more work than i'd like (no welder etc) but they do look amazing in a hardtail

i will fit a spring seat though and the proper springs ( i was gonna go for the close peg type  Wink )

cheers
mike

IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #6 - 04/05/14 at 13:06:26

cigarandcoffeeman, I agree the full on hardtail is the way to go, but sometimes you gotta do with what ya got. I just recently said bye to my shocks after much deliberation. I was so afraid from what everyone had said about the ride, that I thought it would be the worst ride ever. I finally just went for it. It is a temporary thing if you want it to be, just a quick lift and switch back, if you decide you'd rather have shocks.

I have noticed if I'm not expecting a sudden bump it is harder than with shocks, but over all it is not bad. I am young, but not that young... and I don't mind it. I haven't made any hour+ trips on it yet, so my attitude might change, but so far I love it. And the wife even road on it the other night and admitted it was nowhere near as bad as she thought it was going to be.

heres my job(still gotta take em back off and finish grinding and painting to look pretty, but who has time for that when you can be riding):

And here's a very nice strut job that flows super nice with the frame. I'm not sure whose bike this is but its very nicely done:

Just thought I'd share. Happy riding!

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 04/05/14 at 22:38:07

Not sure who built that one, all I can say is... Gimme!!! THAT is how the frame should look. Clean, not all dork-mobiled out with chrome shock absorbers.

If you have to run shocks, at least paint the things. Rustoleum appliance epoxy in gloss black works great...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 04/05/14 at 23:34:40

...a bike without shocks is like a day without sunshine... Grin...

...(I know WD likes 'em,.. but he likes drum brakes, contact points... and he'd be ridin' wood spokes and steel rims if he could find them)...

Suspension is like free HP.... you can't have enough... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 04/06/14 at 01:04:18

Ha... I have 2 1919 Buick steel rims with steel artillery style spokes sitting in the yard... And have been mucking about with horse drawn equipment restoration for over 30 years. I can MAKE wooden wheels.... Don't like them very much, too hard to find decent Black Locust to turn hubs out of.

Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #10 - 04/06/14 at 07:47:12

I run all of my Savages with struts.I too am a rigid fan.I'm 270lbs and I never had a problem with parts bending,breaking,whatever.It's not that bad if you drop the tire pressure a little.I also run 150/90 rear tires.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #11 - 04/30/14 at 04:45:50

I run all of my Savages with struts.I too am a rigid fan.I'm 270lbs and I never had a problem with parts bending,breaking,whatever.It's not that bad if you drop the tire pressure a little.I also run 150/90 rear tires.

[/quote]

Hey buddy I'm a big fan of your savage builds could you suggest a cheap and easy rigid strut setup for me and how to?
Preferably this one if it will work

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #12 - 04/30/14 at 05:32:16

That MIGHT work,if it was a box end on both sides.Put a rubber shock grommet in there and Viola.....Hmmmmm never thought of that,until now,lol.

I usually make mine out of 1" solid round bar(probably overkill).But I like to closely match the frame diameter.Set your ride heighth.(take shocks off,with bike on a jack)and measure where your shock bolts go and I usually make each end about a 1/2"longer.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #13 - 04/30/14 at 05:38:44

Here is Voodoo Vintage's hardtail for the Savage.

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #14 - 04/30/14 at 06:19:14

Awesome thanks for the great reply's. 1 more question where do you get your 1" round bar I know its stupid but I have tried home depot and a couple of other places and cant find it to save my life.....

This is really cool and looks like a really easy way to make an almost perfect rigid back side without the welding I am seriously thinking about doing this. I swear it looks like they used a crow bar
To me this is genius and how they all should be made and how they all should have been made in the first place. It makes more sense.

and if you want to spend $1200 and you dont want to have to weld Ryca has a bolt on, but you have to convert to chain. http://shop.rycamotors.com/hardtail_frame.html

HMMM!!! a couple peices of aangled iron.... $1200 bolt on....
No brainer!!!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:14:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shock struts??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.