Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cracked Exhaust Port, what's my best option? (Read 117 times)
Mariguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cracked Exhaust Port, what's my best option?
05/17/14 at 13:48:16

So while doing some simple routine maintenance I manage to snap the upper of the header bolts off in my case, which I have since learned is kind of a normal problem.  

So a friend with a bolt extractor came over and together we managed a small crack in left sidewall of the hole where the bolt goes in.  

I tried to hunt down a used cylinder head assembly on ebay to no avail, perhaps I'm using the wrong search term?  

I'm not really trying to spend 650-$800 on a new head but I guess I would if I had to.  

Has this happened to anyone before?  Could welding be a cheap option?  

Does anyone just have a cheap assembled low mileage head they'd sell me  Grin

30174.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Cracked Exhaust Port, what's my best option?
Reply #1 - 05/17/14 at 15:13:50

Kinda' blurry.... can't really tell.
I wouldn't go for new head, until I'd tried every other option...

Can we get a sharper picture?... Some very clever guys here...

Worse case,... I'd try rigging a hook n' spring type contraption,  much like you see on some dirt bikes...
Undecided...
Kinda' like this... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/17/14 at 18:08:00

The action on the exhaust pipe connection is the flattened washer/flat flange surface on the header pipe.

Your cracked section as shown is meaningless --- get the old spud out and tap in a new mounting bolt -- and remember once it starts to seat and crush the gasket washer STOP TIGHTING.

Tightening the bolt past that point does nothing except smash the gasket washer totally flat sooner than it needs to be.

That gasket is reuseable several times, just snugging it down until it seats each time.

When you go back to it, it is always seemingly "loosey goosey" and loosens quite easily -- that is the nature of the crushable washer system.

People who bust off header bolts are going about it all wrong -- a lack of knowledge actually.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 05/17/14 at 19:03:35

Picture is unclear... but you did say it is on the left side of the hole. It LOOKS like there is a chip falling out, but I doubt that the crack goes all the way through the head. If your threads are good inside the hole, put the gasket in and bolt it up. I had a bolt that was slightly stripped and I ran a tap in the hole and it bolted up fine.  Like the man said, DON'T CRANK ON IT!  It's only aluminum! All you are trying to do is put enough pressure on the gasket to seal the pipe.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/17/14 at 23:24:10

Ive typed this so many times Im really tired of it, BUT, You need it, so

A 1/4" ratchet, short extension, 6 point socket, Thumb on ratchet head, fingers open with just the ends wrapped around the ratchet handle, Close fingers, work the ratchet with just your hand, dont grip it like a knife & use your arm, FEEL of the way the bolt is tightening. When it tells you its landed, STOP.. Its ever so much better to go back in a week & snug it again because you didnt get it tight enough than go thru this kind of disaster.
Serowbot may have a pretty good answer there, IF youre clever enough to find a way to  get a spring in the mix there.. You can still use the one bolt. The tension needed to hold the pipe in place isnt that huge,,getting the spring pulling the right way to make it work, finding a mount point mite be a bit of a head scratcher,,maybe a trip to a machine shop is in order.. Remember, it doesnt HAVE to look stock or even be close, the deal now is, get the pipe on it & make it hold the gasket snug enough,, If ya cant swing the spring thing,, mite be time to haul it to a machine shop,, but you clearly dont have the equipment or experience to fix the problem it has turned into,,Ive got a lot of time messing with stuff & from the looks of that I would be at the machine shop option,, I dont think I could fix that "right".. Id either have to go with the spring option or take it to a pro.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 05/18/14 at 08:15:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/17/14 at 23:24:10:
Ive typed this so many times Im really tired of it, BUT, You need it, so...

JOG, When I was a guidance counselor at a high school I used to type the same thing over and over to different kids and parents. Then I figured out I could create a document with all the stuff I was typing over and over and just cut and paste it into emails. Two keystrokes instead of carpal tunnel syndrome.   Wink

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 05/18/14 at 08:23:05

Exhaust springs just mute any latent play in the system, you still need to bolt the header flange to the engine.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/18/14 at 10:31:58

S-P wrote on 05/18/14 at 08:15:09:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/17/14 at 23:24:10:
Ive typed this so many times Im really tired of it, BUT, You need it, so...

JOG, When I was a guidance counselor at a high school I used to type the same thing over and over to different kids and parents. Then I figured out I could create a document with all the stuff I was typing over and over and just cut and paste it into emails. Two keystrokes instead of carpal tunnel syndrome.   Wink

You were a Guidance Counselor? OHH EMM GEE!! Okay everybody,, NOW we know why the sudden spike in juvenile delinquency in America.. Blame This guy!!

No, seriously,..,where was that & how did ya like it & for the final question ( The one that is worth the most points)
Do you feel like you were able to swing any kids away from making bad choices & onto the road toward being a productive member of society? IOW, did ya reform any thugs?

& I need to type that up & be able to send it to people,, BUT,, ( cue the laff track) I dont know where to keep it so its handy. It should be in the Noob section somewhere, but who really reads all that stuff?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/18/14 at 11:20:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/18/14 at 10:31:58:
& I need to type that up & be able to send it to people,, BUT,, ( cue the laff track) I dont know where to keep it so its handy. It should be in the Noob section somewhere, but who really reads all that stuff?

Write it up as a PM message,.. and save it as a draft... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/18/14 at 11:29:34

HA!,, That was Easy!  Thanks Rowboat..

IP Logged
ChrisTech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/18/14 at 13:25:22

Clean it very..very well, then get yourself some alumiweld, check out a few YouTube videos, you need mapp gas...b tank...oxy aceteline. The stuff works, I've used it a couple times. You could always jb weld and tap it

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #11 - 05/18/14 at 13:52:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/18/14 at 10:31:58:
You were a Guidance Counselor? OHH EMM GEE!! Okay everybody,, NOW we know why the sudden spike in juvenile delinquency in America.. Blame This guy!!

No, seriously,..,where was that & how did ya like it & for the final question ( The one that is worth the most points)
Do you feel like you were able to swing any kids away from making bad choices & onto the road toward being a productive member of society? IOW, did ya reform any thugs?  

Well, that's a long story. I ran a delinquent boys home for 5 years back in the 70s, burned out then ended up in construction and had a company for 30 years with 3 degrees in psychology/counseling. I ran a crew of 55 drunk framers/drywallers/tapers  Wink.  Construction in AZ died 4-5 years ago. I couldn't buy a job and almost lost everything, so I got a job as a guidance counselor at a charter school for junior/senior high a couple years ago.

Basically, my job was to shuffle student data around on an excel spreadsheet, make sure kids had adequate attendance hours to bill the state, shuffle the kids out of school that we KNEW were going to fail state compentency tests so they wouldn't ding our school rating and funding, but do it in a way that they wouldn't show up on our records as a "drop out" whcih also dings your rating.  Education is no longer about the kids learning, it is about funding and ratings.  "No child left behind"?  HA! "No dollar left behind" is more like it.  I quit in January and went back to construction.  I had some "save the world" moments and some good kids, but all in all it's a money game and the kids are the product being sold. But I guess this is more stuff for the cafe or the unmentionable category that I never read...  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/18/14 at 20:30:19

Sounds disappointing,, for the most part, with a coupla bright spots tossed in, Yea, not the right place,, glad ya got outta the school system,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 14:34:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cracked Exhaust Port, what's my best option?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.