Send Topic Print
shock struts?? (Read 429 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: shock struts??
Reply #15 - 04/30/14 at 07:55:01

Hmmm BOY!!   Anything that gets in the pinch point of the belt is gonna get eaten.. Its not comin out in working order. Crash & get a piece of YOU in there & its gone.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #16 - 04/30/14 at 09:24:39

This is a very cool way to do it.

I buy my steel locally.We have a surplus house that stocks it.Do a search of your area,there are usually places you can get it.Again mine is probably overkill.Try maybe a racecar fab shop.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 04/30/14 at 23:33:00

Plan to break out the pipe bender (spec'd for heavy wall ductile/black iron) this weekend and bend up a set for the 98. Get paid Friday and have Saturday off...

Fill the tubing with sand, get it cherry red, and bend it. No kinks or misshapen areas that way, just a smooth transition. It kinda helps that I have a full blacksmith shop on the place...  Grin

Will do my test pieces with conduit to get the right length and bend radius. Make a form (10x10 heavy timber and spikes) to let them cool while retaining their shape.

Also need to make my fender strut mounting tabs, the 98 runs a full fender and once the frame is rigid it can be properly affixed and run a luggage rack that works (unlike the OEM sissybar mount piece of tin with a 5 pound working load limit).  

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #18 - 05/18/14 at 14:22:11

welp, a little update...I put my shocks back on.

Got to ride a little more the past couple weeks and the wife is not happy with no suspension! and after a couple trips on the interstate, I was in agreement with her.

my conclusion: most roads and short trips were totally ok, even with no spring seat. BUT roads around my parts are shite, and I go on long rides quite often.

I did cut one coil out of my springs and bend/grind them down to be flat. ended up taking 3/4" off total, decent compromise of suspension and a little lower back end.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:21:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shock struts??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.