Send Topic Print
taking engine off (Read 119 times)
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

taking engine off
02/15/14 at 18:55:13

I'm taking off engine from donor bike described here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1392008661

Question: do I need to take off engine pulley, or I should be able to release belt as is?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: taking engine off
Reply #1 - 02/15/14 at 20:01:29

You can remove the engine with pulley and belt.

If you ever want to remove them, it's easier on the bike, but can be done.

WWW   IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/15/14 at 20:48:07

I think I'm missing something here. May I ask you to list sequence of actions to take engine off? Do I need to remove belt guars? It is hold by the same bolt that holds rear shock and I'm not sure I'll be able to install it back if I'll remove it since I have nothing to compress and hold the spring. From what I see looks like I should be able to remove engine leaving belt on the bike, am I wrong?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/15/14 at 21:05:58

The front pulley has to come off, to release the belt...
Get as much stuff out of the way as you can...

PS.. the guard, has a slotted attachment at the rear, so you don't have to remove the shock... (just loosen it)...
... but, if you did remove the shock, you don't have to compress it to reinstall...

Pull the seat, tank, sidestand, footpegs and mounts, carb, battery and box, front pulley, beltguard, and left sideplate...
...(sideplate comes off to get the stator wiring out)...

The more you clear the area,.. the less you have to fight...
(that motor is about 110lbs)... Wink...

TIP... shove a bunch of washers or coins into each coil of the sidestand spring while it is in the down position...then, when you fold it up, it will squeeze the coins and be unable to contract... it's easy to get off that way... leave them in place until you  reinstall... no busted knuckles...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/15/14 at 21:36:24

I see, thanks. Looks like I need 32mm socket, would buy it tomorrow and would remove drive pulley. Belt removal is not frequent operation, but it would be much nicer if it wouldn't require pulley removal.

I was able to remove/install rare shock by lifting bike rear end with one arm and pushing shock to it's place with another, though this is pretty hard physical exercise.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/15/14 at 21:46:38

Serowbot wrote on 02/15/14 at 21:05:58:
TIP... shove a bunch of washers or coins into each coil of the sidestand spring while it is in the down position...then, when you fold it up, it will squeeze the coins and be unable to contract... it's easy to get off that way...

I'll have to ask... why?
my kickstand comes off with one bolt after the footpeg/engine bolts are pulled.

And I have to disagree about the belt and pulley, can remain on the engine to pull it.

WWW   IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/15/14 at 21:52:12

Verslagen, you mean you can remove belt from drive pulley without removing drive pulley? I was able to remove belt from wheel pulley, so now it is very free. But I can't remove it from drive pulley. What I am doing wrong Smiley?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/15/14 at 22:27:30

if you want to remove the belt, you gotta remove the pulley.

Do you have a impact wrench?  no? reinstall the belt on the rear pulley.
you'll need to lock the rear wheel to get the nut off.  take a tie down strap hook it on the top shock mount, loop it around the outside of the tire and hook the other end on the frame and tighten it down.

WWW   IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/15/14 at 22:31:38

Yes, thanks, I finally had a look in Clymer manual, they suggest to ask assistance to engage rear break. Would try this tomorrow.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 02/16/14 at 08:51:14

YOu can get a whole set of sockets at Harbor Freight for about what a socket will cost at Sears. Study the options..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/16/14 at 14:39:12

Thanks justin_o_guy2, Harbor Freight is main source of tools for me, just got set of sockets from then specifically for taking engine off.

I put belt back on the wheel pulley, I'm pushing rear break and try to unscrew drive pulley counterclockwise (while sitting on the bike I'm pushing break bar forward). Nothing happens and I'm afraid I can break belt. Are there any tricks regarding removing drive pulley?

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/16/14 at 15:42:36

Sorry for bugging you folks. Applied more force and get nut off. Engine is on the floor. Thanks a lot for your help and advices!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:25:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › taking engine off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.