Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust ( muffler ) replace or re chrome? (Read 141 times)
bmwnunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust ( muffler ) replace or re chrome?
02/14/14 at 03:17:50

Doing up a 1997 Savage ( UK ) and the exhaust pipe ( muffler ) front to back is a bit scabby. It seems to be solid enough but it badly needs re-chroming. That said would it be better to get it re-chromed or would it be better to replace the whole thing? What are other peoples experience?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Exhaust ( muffler ) replace or re chrome?
Reply #1 - 02/14/14 at 05:23:44

Getting things rechromed is very expensive, and chances are your muffler is as rusty inside as outside.  Several stock mufflers have rusted away inside and the internal parts come loose and th exhaust starts to whistle like the VW bugs exhaust sound.

The muffler of choice in the US is a Harley Dyna factory muffler.  Most Harley owners take them off and put somethng louder on.....but for the Savage it is a great replacment muffler.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/14/14 at 05:48:12

JUst in case youre wishing for more input, Ill hop in here & say
Yes,, A Dyna will cost less than the freight to rechrome, &, rechroming a muffler would be a lot like painting a termite ridden board,, its not gonna make it better,,
Ive heard some Dyna mufflers have a crossover pipe. Thats not the one ya want.,.,& they weight several pounds less than the stock muffler AND they look good, so ditch that chrome TRash Can muffler.
YOu may want a new clamp,,

search term

T-clamp

Thatll get ya started.

Someone else needs to put him on the path to a heat shield thatll fit the Dyna better than that goofy lookin stock thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
capt. ron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/14/14 at 06:37:53

I've got the correct Dyna pipe sittin here if anyone wants to just pay for shipping from Cape Cod. Already installed its twin.

The muffler went to a forum member 2/22/2014

« Last Edit: 02/22/14 at 04:57:01 by capt. ron »  
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 02/14/14 at 07:17:52

Quote:
Someone else needs to put him on the path to a heat shield thatll fit the Dyna better than that goofy lookin stock thing.

I'm doing mine now.  
$30 on ebay for a dyna
I got the following from Rocky Mountain ATV:
T-clamp $6.99 - Cobra
Heat Shield $17.99 - 7" was the only size I could fine for cheap - Cobra
Jets $25 - Lancer (See his table in the market place)
Rocky Mountain ATV has good if not better pricing and real fast shipping.  Also, I read where Dave said to replace your header pipe gasket as well  ($6 or 7).

The only thing I'm not sure about is what kind of bolts to attach the muffler to the swing arm support.  I hope this helps.   Wink

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
bmwnunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/14/14 at 08:45:18

Thanks for all of that folks...

Additionally to the muffler bit I will need the pipe that comes from the head to the muffler ( exhaust bit )

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: White spacer mod question
Reply #6 - 02/14/14 at 08:28:10

Can you even re-chrome a muffler? I'm under the impression that the chroming procedure involves dipping the object into a chemical bath and applying electrical current to it.

I would assume that you would not want to just dip the entire muffler and chrome it guts and all.  If not, you would need to remove the guts/baffles of the muffler by drilling out the rivets or spot welds in the end plate and then reinstall the same after chroming.

That's a lot of work for a muffler that is ugly and poor sounding to start with. Also, since the muffler is used, it will soon probably start whistling. It seems that most do.  Mine started whistling about 50 miles after I bought it. (10yrs old with 6000 mi)

Go with a Dyna. I bought only the muffler and a t-clamp. Didn't need any angled adapter pipe or anything.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/14/14 at 09:30:16

Yes, you can rechrome a muffler.  It is done all the time for Vintage bikes that are in restoration.  I had it done for a 1968 Honda Mini Trail that had a special muffler that said "Patent Pending" on it.....which only occurred in 1968.

Early mufflers had baffles that were removable and you take them out, and the entire muffler gets cleaned, stripped, polished and plated.  The inside of the muffler doesn't get plated as the surface is never clean, and the liquid plating bath cannot get much of the plating material inside the muffler to do any plating.

However.....for a stock muffler on a Savage that has very little current value....it is not worth plating one as you can either buy a good used one cheaper than plating - you might be able to buy a new one cheaper than plating.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 02/14/14 at 12:10:48

I put the dyna on today and no problems.  The threads is the tech section were extremely beneficial. I got jets from Lancer on the way as well.  The test run went good and I probably don't need to rejet, but I guess I could dial it in a bit better.  Although, a real big improve.  I'll keep you updated.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 02/14/14 at 16:48:20

If you have an old muffler, want a cleaner look, and a better sound, I highly recommend it.  It wasn't very difficult and for the money it is phenomenal improvement.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #10 - 02/16/14 at 13:12:56

I took it out today and that was the best it ever ran.  5th gear had some muscle as well.  I always thought we had 1-4 and 5th was more or less just for low rpm cruising.  Not anymore!   Wink

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 02/21/14 at 00:13:03

I have a whistle coming from the back of my muffler, so I guess that's probably the real cause of my lean condition
great, need stock muff or dyna muff and rejet *sigh*

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:24:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust ( muffler ) replace or re chrome?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.