Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My First Savage (Build) (Read 563 times)
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Re: My First Savage (Build)
Reply #15 - 02/10/14 at 21:06:11

hmmm. I think what I'll do since I live in Cali, is modify the stock one before paint, and just spray it as well. leave it on for the winter, take it off in the summer! And also the carb has been rejetted for the new pipe.

The bike also came with a jet kit, a spare carb, the old bars, and the stock exhaust. Still counting down the hours till i get to go pick up my baby. Hopefully will get my test for my license taken next wednesday. wont have much of a chance to ride her till then, cept for maybe one good pass down my dead end street (:

If it's not thumpin, im not humpin.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 02/11/14 at 09:38:20

No front fender.....you better wear a full face helmet and shield.

Last summer I rode without a front fender as I just didn't have time to get one made.  I had changed the fork yokes and the new ones were narrower - so a stock fender was no longer an option.

On the Dragon Run event last year Oldfellor, old-rider and I headed to run the Dragon and we got caught in a rainstorm that just kept beating on us. Everytime we stopped and let it pass and the roads dry....10 minutes down the road we would ride right back into it.  Turns out that we were following the storm but with the mountains and overcast it was not possible to see which direction it was headed.  I found that without a fender the front wheel would throw a 1" wide strip of water into the air and I would get sprayed by it.  I could see on my visor that the spray would come right between my eyes if I was centered on the bike.....and that strip also soaked my chest right down the zipper of my jacket.  At one point we reached a spot just out of Waynesville where a road construction project had been going on earlier in the day before the rains came.....and as we hit the section of road that had the clay dirt on the road.....I got a 1" wide orange/brown stripe (skunk stripe?) right down the center of my visor, and a matching stripe down my gray mesh jacket.  The rest of the year I was able to avoid riding in the rain.....as I am a fair weather rider when at home.  Sometimes at night I can see the front fender throwing small pieces of gravel up into the beam of the headlight while I am riding.

If you only intend to ride on fair weather days you can get by without a front fender.  If you intend on riding on days when the weather is "iffy" or riding on multiple day trips.....or in the mountains where the short storms can come daily.....you better have a front fender.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #17 - 02/11/14 at 10:02:44

Summer's here are usually completely rain free, winters can be sketch. Ill probably be going with a full face, but regaurdless you guys have convinced me to run the fender in the winter

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #18 - 02/11/14 at 11:40:36

Some say that the fender helps front end stability. if you do away with it , you may wish to consider a fork brace of some description.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #19 - 02/11/14 at 15:02:01

have already been looking at fork braces(: thanks for the input though, totally forgot to mention that

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #20 - 02/11/14 at 19:02:02

You could install a minimal fork brace that could accept 3 or 4 bolts for an attachable bracket for a fender or for a small fender. That way on a trip you could take it with you and install it when needed or when you think you "might" need it.

boy scout motto, "be prepared" Wink

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #21 - 02/11/14 at 20:30:38

You're on to me lol. Your idea is a little better than mine though, will look into it! And theres a tiny sliver of hope i can bring her home tomorrow! Fingers crossed

IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #22 - 02/13/14 at 09:16:44

Well Guys, she's home! got her home and safe no problems(: Little bit of a pickle, though. When i picked her up, The PO cold started her(i checked the header for any sort of warmth, no problems, fired right up. after the two 1/2 hour drive home, pulled her out of the truck and tried to fire her. she turned over, but wouldnt fire.  after a couple trys, she started clicking. assuming I've got a gimpy battery issue? gonna buy a battery tender tonight, and hook her up. might try bumb starting when i get off work. here's a couple looky loos for now, will get some better pics after work. Any suggestions? gonna look through the forum as well

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 02/13/14 at 10:20:35

Looks good! Keep us posted eh?  Yeah the starter click sounds like a low battery voltage.
Looks as tho the PO might have went with a smaller battery when he did the semi-bob job, make sure the crankin' amps are good for the savage.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #24 - 02/13/14 at 10:34:11

battery is a tiny little thing, its on the stock emissions plate down low. the "battery box" is holding most of the electrical.  Also the front is lowered 2" and he just had them rebuilt. I'm getting kind of scared, there has to be something wrong with this thing for the price. call me skeptical, lol.

Will grab a batt tender on the way home from work, and plug her up. Anyone see any downsides to bumpstarting the savage, besides a heaving lung? suggested amps for the battery tender?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 02/13/14 at 10:51:43

I tried bump starting mine once......and I had no luck and all I could manage was to slide the back tire across the pavement.  I weigh 156 pounds and in the lower gears the tire would slide, in the higher gears I might get a pop and no success at pulling in the clutch fast enough to keep the engine running. My wife and I were on a flat asphalt parking lot and "No Joy".

Battery tenders are fine for maintaining a battery - but most cannot charge a battery that is dead or run down below a certain point.  The circuitry in them that monitors the voltage does not recognize a discharged battery properly, and as a result it does not switch into the "charge" mode.  Even some of the newer chargers won't work on dead batteries....which is kind of useless.  If you do use a charger or tender, don't charge with anything above 1 or 2 amps.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #26 - 02/13/14 at 11:32:48

you wanna stay under 1-2amps? and im about 150, but i used to own a 1991 RM250 that had to be bump started every time, and let me tell you, in the bottom of a muddy valley in the middle of a trail, bumpstarting a 2stroke monster is not an ideal.  and iv'e bump started my cbr600 a few times. Like to think I've gotten it down pretty well. Tongue don't know if thats a good thing or not. More info to come soon.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 02/13/14 at 11:45:35

WWW   IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #28 - 02/13/14 at 12:01:47

just read it! lol thank you verslagen

IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #29 - 02/13/14 at 22:42:57

Thanks for everyones help! Got her hardwired for a battery tender now,(after breaking the lead on the hot....so lame. got everything buttoned up though, she turns over like a champ and sounds amazing with the jardine exhaust

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:18:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My First Savage (Build)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.