Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My First Savage (Build) (Read 563 times)
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

My First Savage (Build)
02/07/14 at 16:04:53

How's it going everyone? Been following this site for a while, and have been looking at savages for the past couple months. Looking to make my return to the street for the first time in 4 years thanks in part to a 2002 CBR600F4I, My highly developed 18 year old brain at the time, and the fact i could ride a lot better than i could think. Ended up getting in quite a bit of trouble with the man over this, and now I'm finally eligible to get my license.

Found a Savage I liked, 2001, 5000 miles, the guy started a little work on it, got the chain drive conversion, different fender, turn signals and a few other odds and ends. Picked it up for $1300. Gonna bring it home either this Sunday, or Next Sunday, and the second i get it home the cover is coming off the side and I'm checking that Cam chain tensioner. Probably going to remove the shiny top cover off the motor.

Here's how she sits right now:

Trying to decide what way to go with it. I've had a 79 Sj650 that was cafe racer'ed out, and i loved it. but as I'm getting older and more concious of the man, Or maybe it's just my upbringing, but the idea of a bobber has become more and more appealing.  I picked a bike that wasn't necessarily the fastest, so instead of focusing on dumping godly amounts of money into it trying to make it break 115 (which would put me right about infront of those flashing lights again) I think im gonna be focusing on making it a one of a kind.

Couple references that really turned me onto the savage, and maybe a couple different paths i could take:

TruckinDuc's Savage: The ultimate drool bike. I've stalked the pages of this build probably for the past three weeks, to the point the old lady is getting jealous of his bike, and maybe for good reason  Tongue

And of course, everyone has seen the Ryca RR-1 Bobber. Through all my searching though, I have yet to find a single review on the thing. Anyone actually ridden one?  Any thoughts? This this is gonna be mostly for around town, but I'd like the ability to jump on the freeway and head up to Reno now and then (about 117 miles). Everything I've read, they can handle it, but not comfortably.

Would love to get to know everyone, and advice and experience is always welcome, I'm a young guy without a father, Or too much technical skill, but i know my way around a little.  so this is gonna be all trial and error over experience. Bear with me here guys..its gonna be a savage ride!

If it's not thumpin, im not humpin.
  IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: My First Savage (Build)
Reply #1 - 02/07/14 at 18:18:15

The only thing I would change on that bike are the bars.

IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #2 - 02/07/14 at 18:28:09

Will eventually change the bars, the seat is the one thing that has got me thinking...ugy. lol. it just doesnt look right. when i get it Sunday, im sure some seat reshaping is gonna get taken care of for now, moneys tight but i might find something to work. going to go with a springer solo seat, and everything is gonna get painted. Hopefully I have the time to get up there to grab it sunday, if not itll have to wait till next week Sad

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #3 - 02/07/14 at 20:25:54

Seat is sitting like that because frame turns up on back of seat.  When you do a "Blue Collar Bobber" conversion you cut the frame to eliminate that "hump".  You are one seat away from having a pretty nice little bobber.  With only 5000 miles on it if it is not rattling I would not tear into the engine until I had to.  $1300 looks like a pretty good deal.  I like "broomstick" drag bars.

IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #4 - 02/07/14 at 21:05:50

I know about the frame rails, thinking of doing something temporary for now with the seat, it's going to be my daily rider, so downtime on it will usually be Sunday's or Wednesday's, my days off.

For the permanent fix, I'm probaby going to cut the rails, get a solo seat bracket/tank mount from ryca, and go with the larger 3 gal tank. also looking into maybe going with a sportster style tank, always liked the shape for bobbers. thanks for all the input guys!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 02/07/14 at 21:11:07

Well,.. yer' a young man, and you've learned a bit of a lesson...
...but, don't think for a second that Trunkinduc's bike wouldn't get some police attention... (ohhh! they'll be on that like white on rice)... Grin...

If you're new to wrenching... I'd recommend that you just ride your new bike, and make one change at a time...
No need to jump into a full build...
That bike looks pretty sweet already...
It's easier to learn a step at a time, and you'll get some ridin' fun as you go...

Best luck, and welcome either way... we will be happy to add to your confusion with opposing opinions and advice, on almost any changes you decide to make...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #6 - 02/07/14 at 21:19:17

I've got decent mechanical skills, i might be undershooting that a little bit. I started with a 1979 honda 125, mean little thing, and rebuiding the top end was one of the first challenges i took on. have quite a few bikes since then, and the only thing I'm not too familiar with is welding,  milling or machining pieces, but cutting, grinding, and bolting are all in my skillset.

Not too worried about the attention from the cops, this will be the first time I'll be able to get pulled over without a worry in a loooong time. let em stop me, then only place im going to be opening her up too much is the back roads.

Will love all the condescending and heated advice and argument I'm gonna get. And I might just listen to all of you, or none of you, depending on the topic Tongue

Feels good to finally join a community united by a bike, never had this too much with any of my other steel horses. sure is a good following!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/08/14 at 08:58:06

If youre not a 100% qualified welder, then when you join tubes, put a smaller tube inside to bolster the joint, Id probably do that if I thot my welds were NASA quality. Youde be surprised at the "machining" that can get done with a drill press & a grinder.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #8 - 02/08/14 at 10:38:51

Lol Can't wait to get my hands dirty. with the way the weather is looking, I'm not gonna be able to bring her home till next sunday. let's hope it clears up enough!!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #9 - 02/09/14 at 21:46:51

That's a great looking bike for 1300.00! I'm jealous!
Serwobot doles out pretty good stuff here.  I'd check the REAL basics: Cam chain tensioner and petcock first. Chances are the previous owner might have done some carb mods with the new exhaust etc.  But, yeah, ride it, get in tune with its idiosyncracies and glitches THEN start wrenching. Welcome to the forum!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 02/10/14 at 11:01:50

I like it as is.. You got it for $1,300.00? Good deal, I say.. MIte wanna add a mudflap to the front fender, maybe something on the rear, after a ride thru a wet spot, or maybe it wont Skunk Stripe ya,.hafta wait & see.. I dont think I could take the handlebars, but as long as its tuned & runs good, it already looks good & has the chain on it, so you can mess with gearing if youre planning a long trip.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #11 - 02/10/14 at 11:33:50

Yeah he already took care of the chain conversion, and there is a rear fender, let's hope its long enough, i plan on changing it eventually but it can stay for now. lol well see how it goes. thinking of removing the front fender if i can figure out a way to keep the skunktail off me. more to come soo. bike will be here in T-minus 6 days. the longest week ever now begins And yeah, it's a steal at 1300, and the guys got alot into it already. Only reason he's selling is because he picked up a Honda 969 for like 2000, so he's passing on the love

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 02/10/14 at 16:40:53

The fenderless front wheel will throw all sorts of stuff in your face and chest.  I speak from experience.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #13 - 02/10/14 at 17:25:23

how bad is it? im used to motocross, mud, dirt rocks, water, ect. was thinking of making something too help catch all the crap but still leave it fenderless up front

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #14 - 02/10/14 at 20:51:26

Loud3r wrote on 02/10/14 at 17:25:23:
how bad is it? im used to motocross, mud, dirt rocks, water, ect. was thinking of making something too help catch all the crap but still leave it fenderless up front

I bobbed mine and took the front fender off.  Even an inch wide patch of water in my gutter coming off my driveway will spray up the front of my face shield on my helmet. I live in Phoenix so rain isn't much of an issue, but I'm thinking of a front fender again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:23:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My First Savage (Build)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.