Dear Geeks (Read 188 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Dear Geeks
Reply #15 - 01/31/14 at 16:45:06

My firefox is running real slow of late as well.   Undecided  

Is that avg worth giving a shot?

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 01/31/14 at 18:19:26

I tried AVG and didn't like it... then used Avast (free) for several years (you do have to register it yearly)...
Past 1 1/2 yeras, I'm using Microsoft Essentials... (it's free, works good, and is rarely any bother...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 01/31/14 at 19:49:54

Row, I know Nut Think ( Sergeant Schultz voice) about getting OUT of safe mode.. so, unless someone can say your idea is a good one & tell me how to UN push F8, Ima notta Gunna dewitt! Ill run the program with AVG alive & wondering if a firewall even exists.. Ah nade Hayulp!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #18 - 01/31/14 at 20:12:46

JOG

Just shutdown the computer like usual when finished, then turn it back on.  It will come back up normally.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 01/31/14 at 20:41:35

Awwrite.. Ill dewitt! But, Im late & its tired,, so,, manana.. for the teknickle stuff..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #20 - 02/01/14 at 04:48:03

Serowbot wrote on 01/31/14 at 18:19:26:
I tried AVG and didn't like it... then used Avast (free) for several years (you do have to register it yearly)...
Past 1 1/2 yeras, I'm using Microsoft Essentials... (it's free, works good, and is rarely any bother...

Plus 1 on MS Essentials.  I used AVG for years up until about 2 years ago as AVG as become too bloated and too obtrusive.

Going into safe mode will still give you a desk top similar to what you would see in normal mode and if you created a shortcut on your desk top to m-bytes as Versy says you'll see it in safe mode.  And you'll be able to restart while in safe mode the same way you would in normal mode as well.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 02/01/14 at 06:20:42

Safe mode runs minimal programs... but if you visit sites with malware, even in safe mode it will dog out your cpu. "Safe mode" does not protect anything.

I've always used windows stuff on my windows computer, stopped using essentials as it kept locking up for some reason, so I switched to windows defender (old program still supported and in use).

McAfee and Norton are memory hogs and I would not promote them if you have minimum ram (4 meg or lower) or an older system (5yrs or older).

A lot of "questionable" sites use keyclick advertisements which slap searching cookies on your web browser (kinda like the adds you see at the top of this site) that track your past url's to put up adds that might interest you, and those trackers eat up cpu usage.

One big clue if you visit a questionable site is "pop up" adds, or adds with video or gif clips, and also those with multiple adverts down the side of the screen. The site OP might not even realize the adds have malware... they just like the few pennies they get for putting the ad on the page.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 02/01/14 at 18:08:47

MMMkay,,, I hit
Controil Alt Delete,, task manager popped up I hit restart,,( nothing new, Ive done that several times,recently) I never ran any new program, but now, Ive got 5 tabs open & its sitting at 4% CPU! It bounces up if I open a new tab..but if it goes over 50%, its only for a sec,, so, now I have 7 open + task manager,, & its at 4%,, Whut the Hayull izza goin ON!??,, Owell,, for now, Im happy,,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 02/01/14 at 21:10:23

& NOW all I have open is this tab & task manager & the CPU is scorchin along at 53% use,.. Ima reboot,, & see how long it takes for the bug to start playin.. I think somethin is sending, cuz the "Packets sent" when I go look at internet connection is over 40,000.. thats not right,, well,, I dont Think it is.. would someone look at theirs? Sposed to have 54 MBPS, but I think thats system capacity, not Mine, but shared by a lot of folks..I dunno, of course..

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #24 - 02/01/14 at 21:22:00

JOG ,whenever  I have a problem with my computer ,I go to spywareinfoforum.com .They have a crew of experts that help you
,and you make a small donation if they solve your problem,only if you want to.They helped me many times.When you go to their web page, go to, new here, FAQ.

« Last Edit: 02/02/14 at 09:41:00 by rl153 »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 02/01/14 at 21:32:10

Thanks for that info,, right now Im looking at symptoms/behavior.. Im @ 4% CPU,, its runnin good, Under 3,600 packets sent & received,, it was over 40,000 a we ago,, So, something has taken control.,I did a LOT of Kelly Blue book & Craigs list,, Ive gone some skippy places that have gotten me a warning, Ive seen "Threat Blocked" & Ive rebooted & uts worked okay,, but after that shopping trip the other nite its a different machine,,
Its 11:30, Ive been online almost 5 minutes..Lets see how long it takes for it to go buggy.,.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #26 - 02/06/14 at 09:28:23

JOG , does your computer work ok now?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 02/06/14 at 09:31:47

Man, I ahvent done anything,, I dont feel like gettin into a technical mess.. maybe in a few days,

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 02/06/14 at 20:28:26

You may want to consider to switch to linux unless you really need to use some windows only software. All my home computers are on ubuntu since 2008. Everybody is happy Smiley.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 02/06/14 at 20:41:49

How? I dont care about windows,, unless theres a fire, then I WANT a window..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:21:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dear Geeks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.