Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Raptor petcock has no flow (Read 99 times)
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
New Raptor petcock has no flow
01/29/14 at 15:36:14

I just installed the new petcock on my 2012 S40. I removed the packing tube (over the filter screen) and the packing cap on the nipple. I've capped the vacuum nipple on the carb. The gas tank is about half full. There's no fuel coming into the fuel line in the on or reserve position. What am I overlooking?

Rick in Indiana

PS. This is a great site that I've been using off and on since August when I got the bike. I'd like to sent a check (old school) to the appropriate person(s) to support it, as I appreciate the energy that goes into it's maintainence. Please provide the necessary info.

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: New Raptor petcock has no flow
Reply #1 - 01/29/14 at 15:45:08

rijopiatt wrote on 01/29/14 at 15:36:14:
I just installed the new petcock on my 2012 S40. I removed the packing tube (over the filter screen) and the packing cap on the nipple. I've capped the vacuum nipple on the carb. The gas tank is about half full. There's no fuel coming into the fuel line in the on or reserve position. What am I overlooking?
[/quote]<-replaced... well at least you didn't delete the leading quote header 'v1

Hm. So no fuel coming out of the opening on the petcock itself I assume. Do you have an inline fuel filter in the hose coming off the petcock nipple? Mine didn't flow with an inline fuel filter, I had to remove it and put a short hose without the big "dip" in it required by an inline fuel filter. Otherwise, it sounds like maybe an air bubble in the system? Maybe put a piece of fuel line on the nipple, turn it to on and reserve and blow into it to clear anything out of the petcock assembly.

« Last Edit: 01/29/14 at 16:47:37 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 01/29/14 at 15:46:08

Having sold televisions to people who called back asking why it didn't work; I asked was it plugged in. Many weren't. Lever up or down should flow. Off is toward the front. Did you get a Yamaha part 5LP-24500-01-00? And it could be bad.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #3 - 01/29/14 at 16:11:14

Yes it is a Yamaha 5LP-24500-01 and I put the switch in both the "reserve" and "on" position.

Yes I have a new pleated in-line filter that I installed. Fuel did flow thru the filter with the stock petcock, though slowly (engine not on).

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/29/14 at 16:14:23

Take the filter off...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/29/14 at 16:19:18

Pull the line off the carb, turn the petcock on, if nothing comes out, Id try blowing thru it. If it feels blocked, then youre gonna have to get it off & see whats up. I hope you didnt fill the tank up too much,, Ive never seen anything like this,,
You mite wanna go get a new piece of tubing, one long enough you can get to & not have it pointed down &, it would be nice to have a new piece thats never had gas in it,,
& try it w/o that filter,, you dont need any variables right now,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #6 - 01/29/14 at 16:22:39

I'll try that tomorrow. Is this simply for testing or permanent? I installed it as a recommendation on this site as well as a tutorial offered here ( and it seemed to make sense to me).

IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #7 - 01/29/14 at 16:27:58

Things getting out of sequence here. My reply #6 is to recommendation from reply 4. I'll try all suggestions tomorrow morning then post results.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 01/29/14 at 16:47:19

I permanently removed the inline fuel filter on mine... It runs great.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 01/29/14 at 17:30:22

I don't use a filter... it's just one more thing that can leave me stranded...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #10 - 01/30/14 at 10:51:28

Solved! Soon as I removed the filter, the fuel flowed fine.

I don't understand how in the tutorial this is not a problem ( having an in-line filter) There are several photos of different bikes with the filter combined with the Raptor unit. Seems like a good idea to have a finer filter, but simple is good and I'll leave it off. Thanks for all the input!

Rick in Indiana

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 15:56:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Raptor petcock has no flow

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.