Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running problems (Read 114 times)
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Running problems
01/26/14 at 12:59:29

Hi all, been a while since Ive been on here mainly due to frustration. My wifes bike is doing my head in ! I have pretty  much exhausted every combination of exhaust and jet combo. I thought I had it right but two problems have manifested.
1, On hard acceleration the bike will just cut out pretty much at 70 mph. As the bike slows it will kick In again. Pull to 70 and again it cuts out. It will sometimes do it on slower speed build up.

2, When the throttle is snapped shut for junctions and lights the bike will stall almost every time. I have a Harley muffler a raptor fuel tap and K&N filter. between fast and stop its fine. Im going to try another muffler. If read that the "shorty" is the muffler of choice. What is a shorty ???
Ive changed the coil and plug with no change.
Any ideas????
Cheers

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Running problems
Reply #1 - 01/26/14 at 15:26:41

When the bike cuts out......if it kind of hesitates and slows before stopping.....that indicates a fuel problem.  Try shutting your manual petcock off and run the carb out of gas on purpose, and see if that feels the same.  70 mph might be just faster than your fuel system is able to flow fuel and keep up.....so there could be some kind of a fuel or air restriction.  Electrical problems tend to be more sudden, and generally don't come back on just because you slowed down.

The stalling might be a result of your idle being set too low.  Check that your idle speed is such that at idle in 1st gear you are traveling about 9 mph on level ground.  Try bumping the idle speed up a little bit.  Your idle air mixture might also be a little bit lean.....or your TEV valve in the carb may not be working and the carb should be cleaned.  Maybe the 70 mph fuel flow and the stalling at idle are related.....the carb may need to be cleaned.

The muffler of choice is the DYNA muffler....with baffles intact and not drilled or knocked out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/26/14 at 15:37:20

Yup,.. a "Shorty" , is what they call Harley's small muffler's...
(the kind that are on Sportsers, Dyna's, etc)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/26/14 at 16:21:40

You changed the coil? & Plug? & didnt ask this monumental library of brains first?
What muffler are you using? Is it stock or have you messed with it? Whats your elevation above sea level?
Yes, the Dyna, unmolested, is the muffler of choice. Its sexy, it weighs a lot less than stock, it sounds good & it breathes easy AND,, heres the Kikker!

Its Cheap! You can get a take off for about $20.00 usually. Make sure theres no crossover hookup.

FWIW, I dropped the $$ & went with the Supertrapp.. If I got a better HP boost than the Dyna woulda given me, it was negligible & the cost was waaay too much for the difference, AND, the Trapp isnt pretty like the Dyna.. I wish I had saved that $$$ for tires & gas,, & the K&N filter is not worth it, either.. stay stock paper.,.save hassle & $$$

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 01/27/14 at 11:34:27

KNOCKDOLIAN wrote on 01/26/14 at 12:59:29:
1, On hard acceleration the bike will just cut out pretty much at 70 mph. As the bike slows it will kick In again. Pull to 70 and again it cuts out. It will sometimes do it on slower speed build up.

2, When the throttle is snapped shut for junctions and lights the bike will stall almost every time.

I'm with everyone else... sounds like a fuel delivery issue. What kind of petcock do you have? Stock?  Definitely be sure your idle is higher that trying to mimic a Harley, it's also good for your cam and rockers.

IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/27/14 at 12:43:34

Thanks for the reply's. First thing, My muffler is a stock sportster one unmolested. The fuel tap (pet thingy) is the raptor one that is recommended on this forum. I changed the coil, plug and module out of frustration and there was no change. There is no hesitation at 70 engine just cuts out which is what made me go the electrics way. unfortunately I didn't ride the bike when I first got it when standard because it needed a cam chain change. As I was pulling things apart I did all the mods at once.. I have asked about these faults before on the forum as I thought there might be a rev limiter as that is almost what it is like. As for the stalling Ill try the crawling and see what I get. Does anyone know what the revs should be set at ??
Cheers      

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/27/14 at 12:54:57

Is that an actual raptor or a knock off?
does it have a 1/4" tap or 5/16"?

Did you have the cam chain off?
normal 1 tooth off timing problem will limit speed to 50mph
If you are saying 70 kph, then that might be your issue.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 01/27/14 at 13:16:13

I'm probably silly, but just be sure that the K&N has blocked off part of you air intake.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/27/14 at 13:42:18

verslagen1 wrote on 01/27/14 at 12:54:57:
Is that an actual raptor or a knock off?
does it have a 1/4" tap or 5/16"?

Did you have the cam chain off?
normal 1 tooth off timing problem will limit speed to 50mph
If you are saying 70 kph, then that might be your issue.

The tap cam off a YAMAHA YFM 660 R - RAPTOR and has 5/16 outlet. I renewed the cam chain yes but really don't think that's the issue. The engine stops dead and not just run out of legs.  Pulls like a train up to 70 MPH not KPH. If I give it a full hand full in top gear it will hit 70, keep the throttle open and it will start stop start stop. Has no one else had anything similar ??? When I get time I will change the muffler just for giggles and see if there is any change then play with jets again  :'( :'( :'(    

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 01/27/14 at 14:27:53

Last time I had something like that, it was on a dirt bike and turned out to be a fuel issue.  At WOT, you're pulling a lot of gas out of the bowl.  It might not lean out and miss...just stop...then back on again.

I see you've got the raptor petc0ck. Running 5/16" line? Inline filter? Have you removed the needle valve and its seat and made sure the little filter screen in there is clean? Anything slowing fuel delivery a tiny little bit could contribute to intermittent running out of fuel at speed.

there is also, i guess, the possibility of a little water in the system.  Have you opened the bowl drain and emptied the bowl just in case?  If you do, drain it into something so you'll be able to tell if there was any water...It's a longshot, but could be.

I don't think it's electrical.  It should act up at pretty much any speed or at the same rpm (vibration related) if it were.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 01/27/14 at 14:50:06

Have you tried by-passing the sidestand and clutch cut-outs?...

When they get wonky,.. they can give intermittent engine kills and make you chase yer' tail...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 01/27/14 at 15:18:36

[quote author=7263776E68220 link=1390769969/0#8 date=1390858938]verslagen1 wrote on 01/27/14 at 12:54:57:
Pulls like a train up to 70 MPH not KPH. If I give it a full hand full in top gear it will hit 70, keep the throttle open and it will start stop start stop.   

Would you say it's "bucking" ?
I'd say it's a fuel delivery issue, I'd pull the raptor and check for any debry... did you say it was used?  and I'd pull the carb, check the screen above the float valve.

But the electrical stuff is easier, bypass the clutch safety and kickstand switch and give 'er a go.

WWW   IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/28/14 at 12:46:17

Serowbot wrote on 01/27/14 at 14:50:06:
Have you tried by-passing the sidestand and clutch cut-outs?...

When they get wonky,.. they can give intermittent engine kills and make you chase yer' tail...

Thanks all, the cut out switches is something I hadn't  considered. I will also check the filters and report back. The float bowel has been on and off more times than a whores  draws due to jet changes. Cheers

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 01/28/14 at 20:07:37

Run it up till it starts to buck, shut the fuel off & flip the switch ( kill switch) off,,Roll to a halt & drain the bowl,, if its not full, it should be,
Id hit a rough road & see if it acts up. Or just make sure the sidestand isnt moving,, that thing can sure cause it to shut off for a sec, BUT, it should backfire like a cannon when it lites off again,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:41:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.