Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
minimum rear brake lining thickness? (Read 68 times)
beacon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

minimum rear brake lining thickness?
01/26/14 at 10:17:03

What is the minimum safe thickness for the rear drum brake's lining (not the shoes). Can the lining be replaced or do you have to replace the whole hub?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: minimum rear brake lining thickness?
Reply #1 - 01/26/14 at 10:51:33

you're mixing terms
when it's a drum, a diameter is called for... 160.7mm 6.33" max ID
I have no idea, no one's ever had to before.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 01/26/14 at 13:27:26

brake drum I.D. service limit 160.7mm   (6.33in)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 01/26/14 at 15:32:45

Do you use calipers to measure that? I took my back wheel off today to check on some other stuff.  Thanks.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/26/14 at 16:02:05

On the rear drum there is a set of marks that indicates when you are due to rotate the actuator lever a star or two to keep the leverage and motion in the sweet spot in the leverage/rotation range.

How does it indicate "worn out"?   It doesn't -- like the clutch rod it just indicates time to re-tune things a bit.

When the cam lobe located between the brake pad surfaces jumps over center -- then it is time to put your new shoes in.

The drill is, rotate the actuator lever on the star to re-optimize the lever/rotation/motion for the first time (10 years, roughly).   At that point in time, start looking for a good deal on a set of brake shoes, preferably squeal free.   Buy them and set them by for later.

Have them on hand so when you do a tire change out and you look and see you are about to cam over.  Or if you actually have a cam-over event then you can put them in.   Cam over events are easy to detect, the brake petal flops uselessly and does nothing.   Not that this has ever  happened yet to anybody around here, but eventually it may.

To date nobody much has ever worn out a set of rear brake shoes, although lots of us have a spare set waiting for it ....

What will more likely happen to you is having a contamination event from from Slime or some other cause that makes your brake shoes "slick" and unusable.   Then you can swap them out because you have a set on hand and you don't want to be bothered about trying to clean the old ones.

==================

Rear brake shoes on new Savages are a bit abrupt and harsh, this is due to the intentionally rough surface finish that was left on the drum surface.   They squeal a lot too.

Lots of miles on the drums and the surface finish smooths up some, and the braking becomes more squeal free as the shoes slowly seat to match up with the drum radius.

Would it bum you too badly to be told it takes 3-4 years just to seat your rear brake shoes to the drum surface all the way?

Wink

« Last Edit: 01/28/14 at 06:26:10 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/27/14 at 11:33:04

The bottom line on this one is.....they post those numbers on the drum to comply with the regulations.  Ain't nobody going to wear out a rear brake drum, ever - don't bother trying to measure it.

Chances are you might someday wear out a set of brake shoes or they will become hard from just being old.  The front disc is a different issue, you can wear out pads regularly.....and if you ride long and hard enough you are going to wear out a disc.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 18:44:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › minimum rear brake lining thickness?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.