Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
The good and the ugly, help!!! (Read 805 times)
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
The good and the ugly, help!!!
01/20/14 at 08:01:33

Hey yall! I am new to the motorcycle world and recently was given a 2000 suzuki ls650 p motorcycle  Cool The good, the bike only has 11k miles and it was free title in hand. The ugly, the bike has been sitting for a year because the previous owner could not figure out the issues. To top it off the keys were lost  Undecided so first question... do I just get other keys made by looking up the make and model etc or do I need to switch out the ignition? The more ugly, gas is leaking into the cylinder. So I did some research it could be the petcock, head, gaskets etc. Is there anything that is common with these bikes that could lead to this issue? Because from what I was told the spark plug keeps fouling out so therefore it won't run. I doubted it could be the motor since such low miles but I'm clueless. All I do know is I need to get this bike fixed because I'm ready to feel the wind in my face Wink

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: The good and the ugly, help!!!
Reply #1 - 01/20/14 at 08:22:16

S-P is the expert on getting keys made.  Evidently there is a number on the ignition swith that is hidden by some black tape.  Look up his thread....or he can chine in later.

You should pull the vacuum line that goes from the petcock over to the carb that has a wire spring around it.  Pull that off....and if there is gasoline in it the petcock is toast.  You need to order the proper Yamaha part for the 660 Raptor....not a chinese replacement.  If you choose to buy it from eBay.....make sure you see the box from Yamaha and the correct part number.

Look into the fuel tank.....if it is rusty and junky....then it needs cleaned and your carb probably does also.

You don't have a head gasket problem......no one does.  If you have an oil leak at the top of the cylinder it is the head plug.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #2 - 01/20/14 at 08:26:39

Thanks, definitely will be investing in a manual. My husband thinks he can fix all of it...but.. I'm like let's just take it to a shop and get this fixed ASAP the right way lol so does these things seem like an easy fix for the experienced? I definitely want to learn because I know shops and labor can empty your pockets

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/20/14 at 08:30:20

The Yamaha number for the petock is 5LP-24500-01-00.  You can get it online from places like Bike Bandit, Ron Ayers....or your local Yamaha Dealer.  Prices should be in the $ 18 - $ 24 range.

Since you don't have a key.....you have not tried to start it or have not heard it run?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 01/20/14 at 09:03:12

I would hot wire the thing to make sure it turns over at least before investing money.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/20/14 at 09:07:03

Several things going on here.
I'd order the petcock, tear down the carb and clean it, and pull the ig switch and take it to a lock smith to make a key.

On the bottom of the ig switch (as viewed when installed on the bike) might be a stamped number starting with a letter and several numbers.  It might be covered by a black strip.  A key can be made from that number.

cylinder flooding can be caused by a bad petcock alone or a bad petcock and a bad float valve in combination.  which is why I recommend the replace petcock and clean carb both.  If it's been sitting for a year, cleaning will probably needed anyway.  Check the float valve in particular.

for the short term, you can pull the ig switch and jump all the terminals together for it to run.  I don't think any are ground.   Huh  which would be black with a white stripe.

next thing you should be aware of, don't run the starter for a long time.  No more than a minute on, 15 minutes off.  feel the starter, it should not be hot.

And if while starting, the volts drop below 10v, it's not going to start.
And if it drops to point it just clicks rapidly, you've gone way to far.

Read the following articles and if hubby is going to work on it, either list out the things mentioned or have him read it.  Some it going to be redundant.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344399573
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1295653542

WWW   IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #6 - 01/20/14 at 09:08:26

The bike is my husband's mother's.  My husband said he has heard it run and use to ride it but me personally I have not heard it crank. I just walked outside and noted what looked like oil sitting on the outside of the motor or "fins" just on the left side and also on the bolt on the back of the motor by the battery. But when I rubbed my fingers together it smells like gas more than oil  :'(

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/20/14 at 09:11:03

I think this is the ig switch connector...

If so, then there's no ground, just jumper all the leads together.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/20/14 at 09:12:42

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #9 - 01/20/14 at 09:17:49

[quote do I just get other keys made by looking up the make and model etc or do I need to switch out the ignition?

KEYS! I JUST went through that.  OK... pull the ignition switch and on the cylinder there is a piece of black tape. The key number is embossed ON that piece of tape. You have to get in the right light to see it.  A good locksmith or Suzuki dealer will charge you about 20-25.00 to make a key.
Free bike!!??? Wow! Awesome!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 01/20/14 at 09:19:07

You can save a load of $$$ doin it at home. I wouldnt trust a shop to NOT get it in there & tell ya OHH Its needin this & its needin that,, If you cant fix it yourself, you cant know when theyre pumpin you up either.,,.Its winter time, theyre starvin, It Needs the petcock changed, period, even IF yours is working fine, thats not gonna last & it eliminates a variable for cheap.
Now, why is the plug fouling? Make sure its the correct plug & gapped right,

Check the oil; it can get gas in it when the petcock gets wonky,& the carb float sticks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #11 - 01/20/14 at 09:25:42

Thanks yall!!! Definitely will look over these links and try to accomplish this ourselves. Replace petcock,  clean carb.. probably check all lines too.

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #12 - 01/20/14 at 12:43:31

Just an update! Just ordered that Yamaha rapture 660 petcock and the clymer manual. Now just waiting ugh, thanks again yall! Oh and found the ignition key code by the ignition just like yall said on the black sticker Smiley I'll be posting pictures and keeping updates.

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 01/20/14 at 14:18:21

I dont recommend the Rapture petcock,, you may just disappear if ya run it outta GAS!  Go with the Raptor unit.,,that way ya just turn into a carnivorous bird.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #14 - 01/20/14 at 16:32:44

I'm about 20 miles up the road. Might be able to help if needed.  I've cleaned plenty of carbs. Wiring is not a big issue for me either.

I don't know if anyone said it or not.  If gas is dripping into the cylinder, you're going to need an oil change.  Use Rotella T or T6. See the oil wars on here.

Think it's time to check the timing chain tensioner?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:40:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The good and the ugly, help!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.