Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting rid of the airbox (Read 175 times)
bejot
Ex Member

Getting rid of the airbox
01/16/14 at 02:06:30

This year I decided to finally get rid of the airbox and install an cone air filter. Just when I was removing the whole box I noticed there's a rubber hose going from the engine to the filter box - how do you change that part? Do I need to install a separate air filter ON that hose or is there some trick to installing some small cone on the engine itself?
Couldn't find any info on the forum, sorry if it was covered - the search gives me nothing solid Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Getting rid of the airbox
Reply #1 - 01/16/14 at 04:57:27

The RYCA conversion does not use the airbox, and they use the small filter.  You can go to their website and buy one of theirs, and look at the customers bike photos to see where people have mounted it.
http://shop.rycamotors.com/breather_filter.html

You can also look through the bike builds posted on this forum.  Most of the Cafe Racers and Bobbers have eliminated the air box and you can see that they have used.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1383565946

« Last Edit: 01/16/14 at 07:28:34 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 01/16/14 at 13:09:27

bejot wrote on 01/16/14 at 02:06:30:
This year I decided to finally get rid of the airbox and install an cone air filter. Just when I was removing the whole box I noticed there's a rubber hose going from the engine to the filter box - how do you change that part? Do I need to install a separate air filter ON that hose or is there some trick to installing some small cone on the engine itself?
Couldn't find any info on the forum, sorry if it was covered - the search gives me nothing solid Smiley

This is what I did. You can't see it but the hose has a zip tie holding it in place through the old bolt hole.

vent.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/16/14 at 13:42:57

1 fellow connected it to the back of the cone filter using an auto pvc valve.

WWW   IP Logged
SSG
YaBB Newbies

Keep Calm and Chive
On!!!

Ft. Bragg
Reply #4 - 01/16/14 at 13:51:34

I did mine just like S-P but with a different filter I got off amazon. There are many threads about it, you just need to make sure to change the "this post was made in the last" section under the search screen. This will bring up many results.

96 bobber, raptor petcock, cone filter, 14k miles,
  IP Logged
bejot
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/24/14 at 02:22:01

Got it, thanks, guys - zip is gonna by my savior, it would seem Smiley

IP Logged
buddynagel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #6 - 01/24/14 at 12:34:03

please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that hose actually a pcv(positive crankcase ventilation) hose? essentially to relieve pressure from the crankcase and recirculating it back into the intake. If so, putting a small filter on it would be pointless because its releasing air rather than sucking air in.

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, it would be both puling air in and releasing it as the piston moves up and down. Piston up = air in. Piston down = push air out. unless the hose is a totally different system

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #7 - 01/24/14 at 13:22:54

The reason the hose is directed into the airbox, is so that the small amount of oil that would protude out with the air, is recirculated into the intake, instead of out in the environment. The reason you put on a breather filter in combination with tuning, is so you get as much fresh air as possible instead of the oil fumes, which would increase performance.

IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/25/14 at 09:10:08

buddynagel wrote on 01/24/14 at 12:34:03:
please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that hose actually a pcv(positive crankcase ventilation) hose? essentially to relieve pressure from the crankcase and recirculating it back into the intake. If so, putting a small filter on it would be pointless because its releasing air rather than sucking air in.

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, it would be both puling air in and releasing it as the piston moves up and down. Piston up = air in. Piston down = push air out. unless the hose is a totally different system

Yup.  It's really just to keep crap from outside getting in the hose and down into where it shouldn't be.

You can zip tie some old Lycra or something over the end of the tube if you want to be frugal.  Then just tuck the hose up along the frame rail.

Or spend the $4-5 at autozone and get a breather filter...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 17:38:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting rid of the airbox

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.