Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old Elgin pocket watch (1973) (Read 66 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Old Elgin pocket watch (1973)
12/23/13 at 11:45:34

Ok, maybe not "that" old, but I got it as a Christmas present when I was 14 and still have it.
Problem is it runs for a bit and stops, I thought I had "overwound" it about 30 or so years ago and stopped using it.
Anyone know anything about pocket watches? I'm getting nostalgic and want to get it running "right" again.
Its a 17 Jewel Elgin,  
some numbers on inside case are:
6497 0816

There are no numbers on the "movement case"

Thanks for any info ya'll have... I know it ain't worth nothing, just to me, I just would like to get it running again. Maybe pass it on down to my son.
Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Old Elgin pocket watch (1973)
Reply #1 - 12/23/13 at 11:55:50

I think they need to be cleaned and lubed occasionally.

Do an internet search and find a good repair place.

I had a similar pocket watch that my mother bought me in 1974....one of my college room mates stole it.  My wife bought me a much nicer one for my birthday one year.....but since the advent of cell phones I don't carry my watch anymore.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 12/23/13 at 14:33:03

Found a guy in a local mall... going to cost at least $35 and up to $85, if he has to take it all the way apart.

Oh well... its worth it to me.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 12/23/13 at 18:24:37

What kinda "guy" is he? My guy is /was railroad certified and charged $25 for my Grandfather's 992B Hamilton RR Special. I don't care what you have to pay, but don't let someone mess up an old timepiece. My guy just celebrated his 50th anniversary in business. There are forums like ours for watches. Look up a couple and find out what they are worth and what common problems are. I can recommend my friend here in North Ms. If you don't get it fixed to your satisfaction, I'll check with Bill to see if he accept watches by mail. Hope you have a good experience.  Smiley  BTW the important number MUST come from the movement--not the case.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 12/23/13 at 23:23:28

Yes about the number, but it is not on top of the movement case, it is down inside, below the flywheel thing... it was bought in the early 70's at sears, so its not an "expensive" Elgin, it is a common mans pocket watch, cheaper by the dozen. I got one and my brother and uncle got one, from my dad.
I'd like to give it to my son... the watch repair fella is the only one in the local town. I could have driven half hour or hour away, but the watch was in my pocket and it was convenient.
The repair guy stated how much he loves old watches and that it was the pocket watches that got him started in repair to begin with.
He charges right at $20 an hour, and is tearing the watch all the way down , cleaning and repairing if necessary ( I know of one screw broken). Total time he estimated was going to be 4 hours max., plus tax.
So it might not be $85... but won't matter to me if it is...

Thanks for the heads up... I looked around for a couple watch forums and will more than likely do so again.... I have a divers watch I bought in the bx in kadena afb , Okinawa japan I want him to look at next.
Its still in good shape tho... runs like a champ, just want to make sure it stays running good.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 12/24/13 at 07:13:37

I inherited my great great grandfather's Waltham. Waltham has a website that has the dates of almost every watch they made. Mine was made between Feb 15 and Mar 15 1879. My grandfather was the last to use it regularly, and inside the case are very small enscribings of the dates and jewelers who cleaned and adjusted it. It is gold with a gold chain and fob.
It works perfectly.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 12/24/13 at 08:36:35

Old Rider, Good for you. We hand down many things to our children. Some of them our bad habits--some our love of  things our ancestors touched and used. I have a shop full of old and newer tools from my grandfather and father. I occasionally give one to a young man who admires it with the stipulation that it be used. The 17 jewel Elgin could have been RR certified, depending on the Road. Many required 21 jewels with "parts" such as duall escapements and able to work at many angles and temperatures.

If I read you correctly, you went online and fell into the great void of amazement of a simpler time when true artisans made watches for everyone who had the price. It's as bad (Good?) as researching a certain brand motorcycle. There is a fascinating story behind most things we use daily. Sadly, for $a couple of dollars you can buy a stick on version of a timepiece complete with a 2 year battery that keeps better time and includes the date. Best wishes on your Elgin. It may not have been expensive in today's dolllar, but I have a feeling your dad sacrificed something to buy it.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
twelveport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/27/13 at 19:49:44

There was a guy who I worked with that had his great grand dad's pocket watch from the Civil War that did not work. One of the guards at work was a watch repairman on the side. My friend gave the guard the watch to work on, and he took it home, opened it up only to find a broken main spring and the insides all corroded up. He put the watch in a cleaning solution and let it soak for almost a year, then hand made a new main spring. The watch works great now. You would never have thought this guy would be good with his hands if you knew him. Never judge a man by what he looks like. I'm sure your friend will do a good job also. Seems like the hardest thing with these kinds of projects is just getting motivated.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/27/13 at 23:08:44

He put the watch in a cleaning solution and let it soak for almost a year.

Thats COOL!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:32:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Old Elgin pocket watch (1973)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.