Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just bought a 2002 Savage LS650 (Read 344 times)
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Just bought a 2002 Savage LS650
12/21/13 at 19:51:12

Howdy!
I'm from NY here

I just picked up a mint 2002 with 4000 miles Smiley Runs mint but is all stock

I do want to put a dyna muffler on it but, do they have a longer muffler that will give the bike that same great tone?

What maintenance do I have to do to it? I've been reading threads but really haven't caught anything. The previous owner just did an oil change at 3777 miles

As far as mods I want to do the muffler slip on,  k&n replacement filter for inside the airbox and thats it for now.

I'll post a pic tomorrow, I rode 20 miles on it today and had such a blast  Smiley

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Just bought a 2002 Savage LS650
Reply #1 - 12/21/13 at 20:07:57

Check the tech section for the oil change frequency which is actually about 3726 miles or probably about 4000 miles in the handbook. The filter should be done at the same time. At the risk of offending you and others, enjoy the bike stock for a couple of months before you decide on exhaust mods. The one weakness of this great institution is that you may end up with information overload. It's likely you will have to rejet your carburettor once you have decided upon the type of exhaust you want to use. There is good info on how to do the oil change and filter in the tech section. The preferred oil for Americans is Shell Rotella because of it's relatively high ZDDP content which protects your valve lifters and you should consider the Yamaha Raptor petcock modification.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #2 - 12/21/13 at 20:32:17

Thanks, the previous owner also gave me the left over oil he used to do the change last time.

Im ready to order the exhaust and just checked the measurement of the dyna and 21" seems to be same as stock I'll just have to get the angles flange so it dont soot up my rear brake lever
Now why do the ppl not leave on the stock heat shield when changing out the muffler?

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 12/21/13 at 21:18:09

I'd also say do the exhaust and carb re-jetting at the same time. It will need re-jetting, especially if you change the exhaust.  Definitely the Raptor petcock. If you plan on doing any of your own maintenance (like adjusting valves) you'll want the Raptor for sure, not only is it a better petcock, the tank comes off REALLY easy with it. Welcome to the club!

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 12/22/13 at 05:55:37

I wonder if a stock dyna muffler will need a rejet, I think it'll just need a little tune (turn in or out of the mix screw)
Thanks for the welcome

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 12/22/13 at 07:27:15

Quote:
I wonder if a stock dyna muffler will need a rejet, I think it'll just need a little tune (turn in or out of the mix screw)
Thanks for the welcome

Don't know about the rejet - there are others on here with more knowledge about than than me - but be aware that turning the idle mix screw in or out only affects the mixture when the the throttle is closed or almost closed. If whatever airbox, exhaust mods you do require a jet change that screw is not going to do much.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #6 - 12/22/13 at 07:42:13

Changing both the exhaust and intake, you'll be fairly certain you'll have to rejet.  Before you spend lots of money on an oiled cotton gauze filter, there's a thread in the tech section on how to very easily make on using your existing filter and some easily obtained materials for a tiny fraction of what you'd be spending.  It's worth looking at.

Most people don't use the stock heat shield because the stock muffler is the size of a CANNON and the Dyna muffler is a couple inches thinner.  It looks unnatural, and it's just too easy to put a different heat shield on there with a lower profile.  Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #7 - 12/22/13 at 08:16:29

Thank you!
I just ordered a dealer take off dyna p/n 65747-94 for $38 shipped

I have a buddy who has a welder and am going to mess around with it once it comes in.

I dont mind spending a few extra bucks on a actual K&N airfilter since it'll do the job correctly, I'm going to wait on the filter but will be looking into that next

After I mount the muffler I'll see how it runs, if it feels like it needs a rejet then which rejet kit is best?

Should I do the filter before I rejet since the K&N will also free up some air coming in?

I'll get back with pictures and maybe a video of the results

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 12/22/13 at 08:40:24

Yup... the K/N will require rejet more than the muffler...
So, just wait...

You don't need a "kit"...  there's just 2 jets... main/pilot...
Probably don't even need to change the pilot...

Try it with just a #152.5 main at sea level... or a #150 if you are above 1500ft elevation...(if you are over 4000ft, you don't need a rejet)... (Mikuni, large, round, main jet... almost any bike shop will stock them for $5 or $6...)...

See how it runs...
Then, if you're into fooling around... play with pilot and slide needle... but, it isn't necessary...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #9 - 12/22/13 at 12:33:41

Thanks, im in Ny on Longisland which is 400 ft above sea level so 150 main jet should be good?

Should I be doing anything to the needle spacer? Replace it with a #4 washer or anything?

I haven't taken the tank off and carb. yet and don't wan't to do it several times

I'll try stock after I get it fitted and we'll play from there

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 12/22/13 at 14:18:25

Read some of the threads on carb dismantling, some of the screws can be obstinate and some replace with in hex bolts. and apparently a proper JASO screwdriver is better than a Phillips.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #11 - 12/22/13 at 17:58:55

Thanks, I have done plenty of reading about everything Smiley

I'm waiting for my dyna muffler come in and then I'll do some disassembling and mounting, after I start the bike I'll look around dealerships if I need to get the main jet

Thanks all for the help, if I am able to get a bend tube cut for myself I will get more made and we'll start a sale on here, how much could they go for $25 shipped for regular pipe bent sound fair?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 12/23/13 at 00:34:02

When I put the Dyna on the wife's 650 (which is a 2002 LS650 exactly like yours...same color too) I did not need to rejet.
I had already replaced the spacer on the top with 2 #4's and adjusted the needle out about a quarter of a turn.
Bike runs great! no pop on shut-off either.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #13 - 12/23/13 at 03:21:37

I just did a dyna muff this year and am also on Long Island and had good results going to a 152.5 jet withabout 2.5 turns out on the mix. I did make up an adapter between header and dyna. I did not change the stock air filter.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #14 - 12/23/13 at 03:52:11

Thanks guys, hope the muffler gets here soon so I can play while the weathers cold

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:16:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just bought a 2002 Savage LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.