Stalls at idle (Read 104 times)
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Stalls at idle
12/19/13 at 11:05:20

Bike runs great until, for no apparent reason, I engage the clutch, slowing for a traffic light, and it just shuts down. I try to start it, and it sputters and barely runs. I smell gas! I have set the idle mixture screw in a number of different positions, starting with about 1 1/2 turns out. Bike runs great and idles great! Later, for no apparent reason, it won't idle ... as described above. Resetting the idle mixture screw is not a solution, as this behavior will appear, somewhere down the road, after running well for miles, for no apparent reason.
I am no mech, but does this sound like a stuck carb float to anyone else?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Stalls at idle
Reply #1 - 12/19/13 at 11:06:46

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #2 - 12/19/13 at 11:18:15

I used to carry a small screwdriver to adjust the mixture almost every time I went out.  My bike would do exactly as yours is doing.  I changed the petcock to a "raptor" and have never adjusted mixture again and it runs great all the time.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 12/19/13 at 18:05:32

Mine was doing the same thing. It idled and ran a lot better if I turned the petcock to prime all the time (indication of a bad petcock from what I gathered here). I got it re-jetted and changed to a Raptor petcock and the idle is a LOT smoother and consistent.

IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #4 - 12/20/13 at 08:04:30

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I had not considered the vacuum-type petcock as a possible gremlin. Now, I will need to find a "raptor" petcock and then find a mechanic who can put it in for me. I am not exactly helpless with a wrench, but I would rather not screw it up. The Suzuki dealership where I bought the bike is located less than a mile from my house, but they have told me they will only install stock products. So, I will have to find an alternate mech who will install a mod.

Thanks again for responding and have a cool yule.

J2

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/20/13 at 08:59:49

There is a video in the Tech Section that will walk you through the process.  Two screws, two hoses, one rubber vacuum cap.....and you are done.  It's eeeeeaaassssyy!!!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #6 - 12/20/13 at 09:19:58

Thanks! I will look it up.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/20/13 at 13:17:53

J2:

Here is the link.....I had to run out to a meeting at the last post and did not have time to add it to the post.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1315418285

Watch the video, buy the official Yamaha part (not a cheap chinese copy you buy from eBay), and spend an hour doing it yourself.  If you run your tank pretty low and lean the bike over on the right side....you won't even have to drain the tank.  If you lay some towels or blankets on the floor and are careful not to scratch or break off your pegs or turn signals, you can safely lay the bike down on the right side. (If you have a wet cell battery....just drain the tank and don't lay the bike over).  When you remove the petcock there will be a small amount of gas that drips out...have a large rag handy to catch it.

« Last Edit: 12/21/13 at 05:16:00 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 12/20/13 at 15:44:21

Be sure you get the Raptor 660 petcock. It was SUPER easy, two screws and putting your gas lines back on. It literally took me longer to drain my tank than it did to put the petcock on. Check out the tutorials. Don't be scared.   Smiley

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #9 - 12/29/13 at 02:36:17

I've just had this problem so I bought a tin of carb cleaner and took the top off the carb including slide and diaphragm squirted it liberally inside  making sure the rubber diaphragm doesn't get any ( cos it melts like the wicked witch of the west - apparently ) then remove the air filter couple of blasts up into the carb air intake and then generally on the exterior of carb just to get rid of the clag that builds up and it hasn't done it for a while but just to be sure I'll report back in 2 weeks   Smiley

ok two weeks later and its stopping all the time for no reason I cant fathom but a few good suggestions from other members are being attempted as we speak my problem seems like an electrical prob. I've ordered a new carb from Lancer anyways to rule out the carb completely.

« Last Edit: 01/06/14 at 07:26:31 by Steddy58 »  

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:26:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalls at idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.