Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headcover installation questions (Read 95 times)
Henrik

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden, Jönköping
Headcover installation questions
12/15/13 at 12:49:44

So the headcover is finaly in place. But even do i got a syringe to apply the threebond sealant it got a litle messy. Probably becuase i got a bit stressed up over the aplication time was only one minute for the sealant.
Also I may have overtorqued the bolts a bit. The torqe wrench was low buget and had a scale that made it hard to read properly. My gues is that Iam somewere betwen 15-20NM. My question is this:
1. if i got a litle sealant on the cam shaft, how bad would this be?
2. If the torque is 20NM, would this damage the head?
Need some peace for my mind, or maybe I should take it of check things up and reinstall...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Headcover installation questions
Reply #1 - 12/15/13 at 14:50:03

The danger is having too much RTV sealant squish into an oil passage...
Never use too much...
If you saw a lot squish out,.. that means a lot squished in,...(if so,.. I'd do it over... clean it off and do it again... use very little)...

As far as torque goes,.. if you didn't strip anything, you're okay...
Even torque is more important than exactly the right number.. just don't over-tighten and strip something...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/15/13 at 17:13:07

One MINUTE? No one can do this in a minute.
Take it off, clean it up, STUDY exactly where ya want the goo. Theres no oil pressure up there, all it has to do is seal off. AND it needs to be even & thin, because that determines the bearing clearance on the cam to head & head cover. Take some goo & play with it on a smooth flat surface. Practice laying it even & thin, see how long it takes to go from pliable to hard. It shouldnt get hard. If your gasket stuff gets hard, toss it, get something else, IDK if what I have is even still available, but its Great stuff to work with. Wanna say its called Three Bond. Then make sure youve got all the bolts laid out, the upside down one in place, the middle on in the head cover, because it wont go once installed,

If youre grunting tightening these, youre trying to mess up. Ive never used a torque wrench on any of them up there, just a 1/4" ratchet or 10 MM wrench. Thumb by the head of the bolt, pinky & ring finger on the tool, no closed hand, ever./ YOu cant feel the bolt come to the end of its clamping when ya do that. Make a few passes, dont try to make each one tighter, youre just hunting the spot where the goo pressed down some after the last Snuggin Up..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 12/15/13 at 17:32:02

PS... I don't squirt sealant with anything.. not even a syringe...
I apply a dab to my fingertip and smear it... that way I can feel when it has full coverage but with very little thickness...
Then, I go around the sides of the edges with a clean finger and get any off any that isn't on the sealing surface...
You have more time than 1 minute... I take 2 or 3 minutes just to apply it. and clean the edges...
Then figure another minute to set the top down cleanly...
It'll be tacky,.. but it won't dry fully for while...
You have time,... don't rush... it just boogers it if you rush...
Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 12/15/13 at 17:41:18

I use a nylon windshield installation tool & fingertip, but this part needs a thin, even coat. No way to squirt it. Its too heavy to come thru a hole small enough to leave the thin layer you need. Squirting goo is for differential covers, & even then, ya need to smooth it out & get around the holes..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Henrik

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden, Jönköping
Reply #5 - 12/16/13 at 01:11:00

Thanks guys, great answers as always! I think this one needs a big whiskey and some meditation on my decision, to do or not to redo the headcover Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 12/16/13 at 02:32:08

Like Rowboat said, if it Oooozed out, it Ooooozed in.. & if it did that, theres no reason to believe it didnt also get across the O-ring.

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #7 - 12/16/13 at 04:47:36

Anaerobic rtv blue will do fine.

14365412   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 12/16/13 at 05:03:27

swedishbiker wrote on 12/16/13 at 04:47:36:
Anaerobic rtv blue will do fine.

Blue and orange may work fine - but nothing advertises the fact that the engine has been apart more than colored sealer weeping out of the joints.

I use the factory Suzukibond.  It is black, it sets up slowly, and it looks factory.  You can easily take a rag and some solvent and clean the ooze away.....it is the stuff in the joint that seals and not the goo on the outside that oozed out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 12/16/13 at 07:09:28

Thats definitely a SoozeUki 650.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:35:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headcover installation questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.