Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new Rattlecan paint job on my bobber (Read 436 times)
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
new Rattlecan paint job on my bobber
11/09/13 at 05:24:50

Lately i got frustrated with the previous paintjob, the paint kinda cracked givin' it a weird look, so i decided to stop the bike for a definitive makeover.
I knew that i wanted the front fork and headlight to be black, so the wheels, but for those i decided not to go on 'cause the wheels are in near new condition and it bothers me to mess with them.
Anyway it has take longer than i espected, mostly because i decided to be patient and wait at least 24h between layers of paint, and givin the fact that i wanted to put many layers it took me from the second half of october 'till today that i've started layin' down the  bi-component clearcoat.
here's some pictures:

Tuff work... i think this bike it's been repainted a few times since 1994

Disasembled the front headlight, whom it' s been painted black also or the exception of the chrome ring attached to the lens

ready for primer

The parts primed and dryed in the "dryin' booth" (essentially a small bathroom with an heater)

After have applied a full layer of gold "leafing" (that's how they call that color here) i wrapped the tank in a net pantyhose, one of those with wider tread. It works with a pantyhose and not with a stocking because the tank it's too wide and only the wide part of the pantyhose fits on it.

This is the result... i've layered the bronze in a way that the gold was not completely covered, so it gets reflections of gold depending where you look and where you stand.

Got this stickers made for me on ebay for around ten bucks shipped, and now it's clearcoat time!

this is the bi-component clearcoat that i've used: i got this in a professional paint shop and it's gasoline and scratch proof: it works by pulling and turning the ring on the base  of the can, in this way the two components gets mixed, shake for about three minutes and then spray.
Now i have to wait...

1994 Suzuki Savage, mini ape, raptor petcock, lowered forks
  IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Re: new Rattlecan paint job on my bobber
Reply #1 - 11/09/13 at 07:19:25

It's 25 years since I did a paint work last time. Now I did my tank also with can. I must say that the can today is very good. Cans back in my times was noting one would use. But today, ok.

14365412   IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #2 - 11/09/13 at 07:31:30

Yeah, that's what i' m hoping; that clearcoat it's quite expensive (32€) i hope it will be up to the expectation... last paintjob suffered also  from some drops of gas on the tank and it took it's toll... but the quality of that clearcoat that time wasn't even close to this.

1994 Suzuki Savage, mini ape, raptor petcock, lowered forks
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 11/09/13 at 07:38:28

Very cool!!!!If any of you guys are thinking about doing this.There is a couple good threads over at www.chopcult.com .I'm even thinking about some and I do painting for a living.Thgere are some quality products out there now.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 11/09/13 at 08:16:16

Quote:
Very cool!!!!If any of you guys are thinking about doing this.There is a couple good threads over at www.chopcult.com .I'm even thinking about some and I do painting for a living.Thgere are some quality products out there now.

I Agree...Thinking I Will Redo Mine Over The Winter Too.
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12327

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/09/13 at 09:56:41

Dear Max.

As a frustrated painter I can only say I really like what you did. I appreciate the info on the 2 part in one can paint. I mita missed where you said what it cost,,I wish youd toss that up..,
OHH, &, having said all that,, I think I kinda hate you,,I SOOO suck at painting!!! On a brighter note, I have, in the last year or so, gotten at least a discernible measure less sucky,, fewer runs. It has taken me years to learn that a few lite coats with a few minutes between is better than trying to get it painted all in one swell foop,.,

Edit to add
I watch the car shows on TV,, & I particularly watch ( in amazement) as someone tapes them off & lays in flames & such,, Its about like watching magic,, I SEE them do it & walk away shaking my head,, How did they DO that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/09/13 at 12:03:47

Wow! That is amazingly cool. Love the effect.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 11/09/13 at 14:40:57

maxtowers, a lot of your pics don't show

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 11/09/13 at 15:02:47

Yea, well I saw them,, You may be ahead NOT seeing them,, if you can paint & dont suffer from a color change due to envy,,well,, then yea,, your loss,, He hung the tank in a net & shot it,, looks neat, man,,
That said, my animosity for the man remains the same,, at least until such time as I become proficient,Dont take that personally, Max, all you "I can paint" types inspire me to try harder,, & there are quite a few here who have done amazing jobs,, & it just GALLS me,, I NEED to spend time with someone who can actually paint,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #9 - 11/10/13 at 04:54:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/09/13 at 15:02:47:
Yea, well I saw them,, You may be ahead NOT seeing them,, if you can paint & dont suffer from a color change due to envy,,well,, then yea,, your loss,, He hung the tank in a net & shot it,, looks neat, man,,
That said, my animosity for the man remains the same,, at least until such time as I become proficient,Dont take that personally, Max, all you "I can paint" types inspire me to try harder,, & there are quite a few here who have done amazing jobs,, & it just GALLS me,, I NEED to spend time with someone who can actually paint,,

The next time I come to Texas,I'll bring my paint guns.BTW I miss Dallas....BAD!!!!

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/10/13 at 05:08:36

Well, Id enjoy you showin up. We arent but about 2 hours East of Big D.
& you can HAVE th Big D,, I like all the stuff thats IN big D,, ceptin that traffic. Seems lots of others like the place. Heck,, every place I wanna GO is covered up with others who feel the same way, with Hot Springs being the exception,,That place is usually okay, unless thers a biker rally, then its loaded up & hard to get in & out of places, but starin at the bikes & people is so good its worth it,, so, Hot Springs is always a decent stop,.

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #11 - 11/10/13 at 05:54:03

I will spray a 2k-clear coat before I put it on the bike.

done.jpg
14365412   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/10/13 at 05:56:08

Thats lookin good.

YOu gonna do a Mini version on the side tins?

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #13 - 11/10/13 at 07:57:38

Only new LS 650 decals.

14365412   IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!