Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Smoke and Noise Oh my... (Read 256 times)
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Cam Chain Replacement '86
Reply #30 - 12/22/13 at 20:49:19

I just did the versy adjuster (the adjuster was about to fall out) and the starter limiter gear mods, so I've had both sides of the case open. I was able to move the shifter and kickstand stuff out of the way by pushing the engine bolts out about 3-4 inches and using an extension on the ratchet to get to the lower case bolts.  I do have a motorcyle lift so I can move the kickstand assembly.  

I'm hearing a slight high pitched something coming from the cam chain side of the motor at low RPMs, my imagination is it is the chain rattling on something. It disappears at higher RPMs.  I'm just thinking worst case scenario down the road if I screwed up the cam chain tensioner install somehow or the chain is going.  It is an '86 and I have no idea how many miles are on it, it was installed by the previous owner who blew up his 2005 motor.  It seems to run well now and the mechanic who did the head seal said the jug looked good when he had the head off.  The problem is, I have no point of reference for what are normal Savage noises.  I know thumpers are noisy beasts, but I don't know what is within the realm of normal noise levels.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 12/22/13 at 21:06:13

My whinner turned out to be a bad bearing on the counterbalencer.
Loud and intermittent, usually only for a few seconds, heard at high speed, of course I rarely go slow.    Cool

all of the bearing are splash lubricated.  you could take the covers off and inspect with a magnifying glass.  take sparky out and rotate and observe.

WWW   IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #32 - 12/22/13 at 22:44:10

stu-pidass question here...looking thru the motorcycle handyman photos it shows the TDC on the rotor and engine crankcase,is this on the left side of the motor? (clutch side,as I've had a couple of jacks and looking at the bike upside down)  Cheesy  Grin

left side stator and timing port, right is clutch. - v1

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #33 - 12/22/13 at 22:56:25

Yes, labels for installation of the engine crankshaft at TDC are under the left (in direction of motorcycle) crankcase cover , where the starter clutch

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #34 - 12/23/13 at 06:35:40

No such thing as a stupid-arse question, just people who are too stupid to ask a question when they know they don't know the answer the screw stuff up.  At my age I'd rather learn from other people's expensive mistakes than get another PhD in stupid and have to take out more Grin student loans to get it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Smoke and Noise Oh my...
Reply #35 - 12/23/13 at 10:36:01

S-P:

I have spliced your two thread together....they are basically the same problem and I needed the "flow" to see what had been done before we started talking about the cam chain replacement.

I am a bit confused by the "whir".....that always indiates a timing belt or chain that is too tight to me.  I once tightend the timing belt on my VW GTI Rabbit too much....and it sure did make a whirring sound until I loosened it a bit.

I would like you to confirm the oil pump is working correctly.  Start the bike up and let it run for a few seconds, then take the front valve cover port off and see you the top end is oily......or dry.  If oil is getting up there the rocker arm that is visible should have a coating of oil on it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Smoke and Noise Oh my...
Reply #36 - 12/23/13 at 16:43:24

Hey Dave, Yeah the whirring noise sounds like a high pitched chain rattle to me. It happens on start up and when I tweak the throttle. It is most pronounced at low RPM/idle.  I pulled the side cover this afternoon to check my chain guides and inspect the chain and verslavy.  Everything looked OK. No metal filings in the oil or case, the verslavy shaft is out about 2- 3mm so I don't think the chain is too tight.  I adjusted the valves yesterday and there was oil in the upper parts.  So, I guess I'll ride it and just keep an ear open for something REALLY obnoxious.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:19:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Smoke and Noise Oh my...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.