Send Topic Print
Top End Work (Read 58 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Top End Work
12/23/13 at 09:38:21

Gents,

I'm slowly getting ready to do some work on the top of my S40.  I'm going to adjust the cam chain and valves.    I would like to know what gaskets I'm going to need to purchase as anything else.  Where would one go to purchase feeler gauges?  The plan is to do my research, get what I need, and do it right the first time.  

Best regards and happy holidays.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Top End Work
Reply #1 - 12/23/13 at 09:45:00

You most likely will not need anything for the valve adjustement - depending on the age and mileage on the bike.  The small covers for valve adjustment haveO-rings in them....and over time and many heat cycles the O-rings lose some of their flexibility and abilty to seal.

You can get individual feeler gauges from Grainger, McMaster Carr or similar businesses......or you can just pull the correct size out of a feeler gauge set.  You need to bend an offset in the feeler gauge to make it work the best.

Adjust cam chain?  There is no adjustment other than seeing how far out your stock tensioner is.....20mm is the maximum.  When it is starting to get out too far it is time to get the tensioner modified by Verslagen so that it has an extra hole, and a pin so that it will not fall apart.  You might need a clutch cover gasket....and maybe an exhaust header gasket.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 12/23/13 at 17:32:08

pg wrote on 12/23/13 at 09:38:21:
Gents,

I'm slowly getting ready to do some work on the top of my S40.  I'm going to adjust the cam chain and valves.    I would like to know what gaskets I'm going to need to purchase as anything else.  Where would one go to purchase feeler gauges?  The plan is to do my research, get what I need, and do it right the first time.  

I just did all that stuff.  Smiley You should get a side cover gasket and an exhaust gasket (get two) if your're going to check your cam chain tensioner. I got mine at http://www.partsfish.com/  You can get just one gasket there instead of buying the whole set. I'd also suggest getting a Raptor petcock while you're doing that stuff. It makes getting the tank off MUCH easier and it's a better petcock for about 15.00. (Be sure you get the 660 version).  No gasket needed for the valve covers as Dave mentioned. You'll need an offset/bent feeler guage to do the valves. It is TIGHT spaces. Be SURE you get a set that has  .003-.005mm (yeah THAT thin!) The offsets I saw were way too thick, I ended up just bending an extra set I had. There's info scattered around in different places here.  Check the "4 things every Savage owner should  know" and also the tech/documents section for other tips and tricks. BE SURE you keep track of the side cover bolts and pattern when you pull the side cover, there's a bunch of different lengths and washers. Also when you are re-installing it be sure the little square box that holds your clutch cable on the end of the arm is pointing UP. If you let if flop down you'll have to pull the side cover back off to flip it up again. Good luck!  It's always an adventure to pull something apart!   Cheesy

« Last Edit: 12/23/13 at 19:03:41 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 12/23/13 at 20:44:22

Thanks for the insight!

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:32:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top End Work

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.