Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stubborn Negative Battery Terminal (Read 143 times)
SkyHigh
YaBB Newbies

Get your kicks on
Route 66...

Phoenix, AZ
Stubborn Negative Battery Terminal
12/13/13 at 15:40:28

I have a 2011 Suzuki Boulevard S40 that I bought new in May 2011.  The original, wet-cell battery is no longer able to retain a charge, so I need to replace it.

Several weeks ago, I was able to remove both the positive and negative terminal cables to slide out the battery for charging.  I put the battery back in the bike after it was fully charged and rode on extended rides several times a week for two weeks before the battery finally would no longer start the bike nor hold a charge.  So I need to replace it with a new one.

The bike has been sitting for 6 weeks due to my fight with pneumonia.  I was able to remove the positive battery cable just fine, but the negative one is being stubborn.  The positive terminal was clean, but the negative one was caked with battery acid dust.  I scraped that away and attempted to unscrew the 10 mm bolt holding the negative battery cable to the terminal, but it just turns and turns.  The bolt is attached to a hex nut, which simply turns in tandem with the bolt.

Ideally, I'd put a wrench on the hex nut to hold it while turning the bolt with a 10 mm socket wrench.  But there isn't enough room for one.  There is a small (about 1/8") opening where the cable itself attaches to the lead that bolts to the terminal.  I've tried jamming a thin screwdriver in there to hold the nut while I try to unscrew the bolt, but the nut keeps turning.

Any ideas short of cutting the negative battery cable?  And if I do have to cut the cable --
1. Is that a single cable that I can remove and replace?
2. How long is that cable?
3. Where does its other end attach to?

Thanks, all, very much for your advice.  You guys are extremely helpful and save everyone a lot of headaches and unnecessary expense.  I just want to get the bike running again because I miss the open road with it.  I never even sat on a bike much less rode one until I was 52 -- and I absolutely LOVE it!  Smiley

Merry Christmas,

Steve

Stock 2011 S40 - Pearl Mirage White / Metallic Veil Silver
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Stubborn Negative Battery Terminal
Reply #1 - 12/13/13 at 16:12:20

Firstly,.. you should always disconnect the negative first...(for safety)..
Secondly,.. 2 years ain't long for a battery,.. maybe just needs water?...

Sooooo,... if you absolutely can't get the cable off.. how about you disconnect the other end (which you would have to do anyway, to replace the cable if you cut it)... then just pull the battery out with the cable still connected...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 12/13/13 at 16:46:47

I have to say I wouldn't have thought of taking off the other end until I had removed the fenders and rear valve stem cap. Good call Serowbot. I will post a story when I get my bike running again, but since your battery is no good now and the terminals are soft you may be able to cut the terminal with a screwdriver (chisel) or even nibble away with a pair of plies. Having sold and serviced batteries I have seen one explode on a freezing day because we put it on a charger without noticing it was frozen. Also, I play caveman as much as the next guy, but you can be terribly maimed or blinded by battery acid. Take time to find glasses and even gloves to protect your skin. And always stick with Serowbot's advice and always disconnect the neg side first and hook it back last. My observation has been that lots of times a bad battery will leak around at least one terminal and put some rapid rust on your bolts.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 12/13/13 at 17:22:08

I know I got about 2 years out of every battery I have put in.

I would recommend putting in a battery tender.  It is about $30 and keeps your charge up.  It is a real pain to put in the first time but, you'll be happy you did.  I hope you enjoy the s40!

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 12/13/13 at 17:25:49

It actually looks like the negative wire is wrapped into the harness...

I'd rather bust the battery getting it out than cut that wire.
So,.. don't cut it...

Quote:
"I've tried jamming a thin screwdriver in there to hold the nut while I try to unscrew the bolt, but the nut keeps turning."

Keep trying... jam a thicker screwdriver... lastly, bust the lead terminal...
.. but, don't cut the wire... Wink...

JMHO...

PS... once it's out...  I cut the neg side opening bigger in the battery box,... I also cut away some at front to make carb removal easier...
Once you have the battery out,.. you might consider doin' the same...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/13/13 at 21:29:01

Youre planning on a new battery,, so, wreck the battery, not the wire,,
NO SPARKS.. be careful around that battery. They go BOOM,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 12/14/13 at 00:59:41

Yup, i'm with the majority, if your going to replace the battery, break the battery, not the terminal wire end.

See if you can jam a screwdriver (flathead) or small crow bar behind the square bolt head (or hexagon which ever). A small pair of vise-grip pliers will hold it if you can get a grip. Or just simply pry it off the battery terminal and don't worry about cracking the battery, just be careful of the acid if you do crack it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
SkyHigh
YaBB Newbies

Get your kicks on
Route 66...

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #7 - 12/16/13 at 23:42:02

Thanks a lot, Serowbot, pgambr, Boofer, justin_o_guy2, and old_rider for all your advice.

I have charged the original battery with a 1-amp battery tender a few times before.  But it's unreliable because sometimes it doesn't have enough juice to start the bike -- even after a long ride.  And I can't afford to be stranded if I turn off the bike to gas it up and it doesn't start.  So I'm going to replace it, especially since the extreme highs 4 months of the year here in Arizona sucks the life out of most car, truck, and motorcycle batteries.

I'll take your advice and carefully break the negative terminal from the old battery.  If that isn't working out well, then I'll take apart the bike more to remove the other end of the negative cable.  Undecided

I'll let you know how it goes.

Merry Christmas,

Steve

Stock 2011 S40 - Pearl Mirage White / Metallic Veil Silver
  IP Logged
paulchristi
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

My other bike is a
surfboard

Tucson, Arizona
Reply #8 - 12/18/13 at 07:19:53

Slightly off-topic, but.....has anyone come up with a mod to the battery box that would enable battery inspection?  Here in Arizona I need to keep a constant check on my electrolyte level, and to do so I have to remove the battery, which as you know is a bit of a pain.  Maybe cut the inspection window bigger and bolt in some plexi?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/18/13 at 07:45:26

paulchristi wrote on 12/18/13 at 07:19:53:
Slightly off-topic, but.....has anyone come up with a mod to the battery box that would enable battery inspection?  Here in Arizona I need to keep a constant check on my electrolyte level, and to do so I have to remove the battery, which as you know is a bit of a pain.  Maybe cut the inspection window bigger and bolt in some plexi?

There is a window on the front of the battery box that allows you to see the electolyte level.  Sorry for the bad photo.......it is just one I grabbed off eBay.  The window is the rectangular hole in the front that is the size of 2 postage stamps.

box.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 12/18/13 at 07:45:45

My experience with plexi is that it eventually scratches up and turns foggy. That would probably happen pretty quick since you'll be wiping road grime off of it to see the battery. I'd go glass and maybe silicone it in place on the inside of the box.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 12/18/13 at 08:33:08

I wouldn't bother with plexi or anything... just make a bigger hole...
...but,.. the problem is, it'll only let you see a couple of cells...
... or all the cells over a small area...

Getting a sealed battery is the way to go...
They're better anyway...

I thought about getting rid of the box,... but I like the tool kit compartment...
Maybe making a battery strap with a built-in tool bag roll to protect the front of the battery would be cool...

Now, you got me thinkin'...
...( and that can only mean trouble)... Grin...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 12/18/13 at 08:49:05

Even with the battery out, sitting on the bench I have difficulty in determining the fluid level.  Trying to view that thru a dirty window will be next to impossible.  Cut windows anywhere you want, treat the edges so they don't rust.

WWW   IP Logged
paulchristi
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

My other bike is a
surfboard

Tucson, Arizona
Reply #13 - 12/18/13 at 14:27:14

Serowbot, I think you're right.  When my battery finally dies the extra $$$ for a sealed battery will be well spent.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 12/18/13 at 17:04:48

Musselman Honda is where I got mine... a Bikemaster for about $70.00...
That's as cheap as internet... I buy local when I can...
Best price in Tucson... Wink...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:32:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stubborn Negative Battery Terminal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.