Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2nd to 3rd (Read 157 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
2nd to 3rd
12/15/13 at 16:00:24

Can someone point me in the right direction?  This has happened a couple of times; although, today really got my attention.  The s40 would not shift from 2nd to 3rd.  The shifter would go all the up but, nothing would engage.  I read the thread about shifting problems, but my gut feeling may be something a bit more.  I had to go down to first and then go back up.  Sometimes it goes smooth with problems at all?  With the noise in the top end I'm starting to think it is a loosing cause to keep on fixing it.  Thanks for the help.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 2nd to 3rd
Reply #1 - 12/15/13 at 17:03:06

MMmkay,, I dont remember the top end noise,,

Check for looseness on the shifter. Make sure that bolt has it pinched on right,

Try running it thru the gears, engine off, rocking the bike.

Have ya tried a clutchless shift? Once in 2nd, shifting up is just slappin the throttle shut while lifting on the shifter & goosin it as soon as the toe feels the click,,
What speeds are you shifting at?
How much slack is in the clutch lever?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 12/15/13 at 17:25:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/15/13 at 17:03:06:
MMmkay,, I dont remember the top end noise,,

Check for looseness on the shifter. Make sure that bolt has it pinched on right,

Try running it thru the gears, engine off, rocking the bike.

Have ya tried a clutchless shift? Once in 2nd, shifting up is just slappin the throttle shut while lifting on the shifter & goosin it as soon as the toe feels the click,,
What speeds are you shifting at?
How much slack is in the clutch lever?

Ok, here we go
Re: Engine Noise
Reply #35 - 12/12/13 at 15:09:49 - Page 2 of rubber side down

No, I haven't tried a clutchless shift.

Normal to low speeds when trying to shift.

Their should be no slack in the clutch and fully engaged.

I came across an add for a brand new 2012 leftover s40 for $3k?  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 12/15/13 at 17:45:03

These type of problems are 99.9% linkage related...
Savages never have internal shift problems...
It's a great tranny...

Try cleaning and lubing the linkage at the pivot points and both linkage ends... with a light lithium grease or general use lube... (lube the side stand at the same time... those guys are always so neglected)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 12/15/13 at 17:55:31

Thanks Sero.  I think I understand the external point.  But I don't know where to go for the other point.   Huh

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 12/15/13 at 18:51:21

I came across an add for a brand new 2012 leftover s40 for $3k?  

leftover what ?

Never sell a bargan but allways buy a bargan !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 12/15/13 at 19:36:12

Brand new 2012 S40 for $2,999, mine is going on 8 years old.  I've been working on it more than riding it for the past 6 months.  I don't have much free time and certainly don't have the expertise that many of you have.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 12/15/13 at 22:18:36

pg wrote on 12/15/13 at 19:36:12:
I don't have much free time and certainly don't have the expertise that many of you have.  

Probably not near as worldly, wise as you think...
I don't have huge volumes of experience doing anything... more than sticking my neck out...
Giving people the confidence to stick out their necks... and try... is often the best thing I can do...

Most of us, can do more than we think, with just a little encouragement, and some back-up...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 12/16/13 at 11:02:36

Ok, picked up some grease. Is the linkage the little bar that is a bit thinker than a coat hanger?  It attaches to shifter and is perpendicular to rod that goes into the transmission.  Is that correct?  Thanks for your assistance.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 12/16/13 at 11:33:11

Alright, a more technical description to my question would be:

Is linkage the shift rod arm or the gear shift shaft?

Thanks for your help!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 12/16/13 at 11:55:38

The shift lever is attached to the footpeg bracket.  It has a pivot point that has to be free to rotate and move - sometimes these can get stiff and cause shifting problems.  You should clean and lube this shifter pivot point.

The linkage is the small rod that connects the shift lever to the transmission shaft.  This linkage has a ball joint on both ends, and if either one of these balls are stiff and doesn't move freely it can cause shiffing problems.  Make sure these ball joints are clean and well lubed and rotate easily.  The rod should be straight without any bends.

The transmission shaft has a small arm that clamps on to the transmission shaft.  This arm has splines that slide over the transmission shaft, and the bolt should be snug (not gorilla tight), and there should be no visible play when you wiggle the shift lever up and down.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 12/16/13 at 12:02:08

Thanks Dave, I appreciate a straight forward detailed explanation.  I'm learning but, I am still a novice on a real good day.  Incidentally, their is a lot of play.  I'll give it a go.  Best regards.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/16/13 at 13:02:28

There really shouldn't be much play.  When you slightly wiggle the rubber to part of the shifter up and down the movement should be transferred back to the shift shaft on the side of the engine with very little wasted movement.  If something is allowing the toe portion to move a lot without moving the shift shaft....then something is too loose.  Check the mounter mount/foot peg bolts....try to find where the wasted motion is going.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 12/16/13 at 14:54:18

That linkage is a bit finicky and I think I may have fixed it.  The last few times I went out it would get stuck.  I test road it to the grocery store and back and it didn't happen.  It has a bit of play, but I wouldn't call it excessive by any means.  However, it feels significantly better through all the gears.  

Many thanks to Sero & Dave for pointing me in the right direction as well as for the moral support.  It sounds kind of cheesy, but anything other than elementary basic stuff is brand new to me.      Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 12/16/13 at 16:24:27

Man, Ive done body work , changed the frames on 2 F150's, Ive changed countless water pumps & alternators & done head gaskets, been in a few rebuilds, done clutches & adjusted same, & when I started in on a bike, it was like Greek to me.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:37:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2nd to 3rd

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.