Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do I remove speedometer? (Nasty rattle/buzz) (Read 109 times)
Brunkster
YaBB Newbies

Ft Myers, FL
How do I remove speedometer? (Nasty rattle/buzz)
12/11/13 at 08:55:16

I have a nasty buzzing/rattle coming from the cowling around my speedometer. I'd like to remove it and put some gasket material underneath to quiet it down.

How do I remove the speedo and the cowling?

Or, is there a simpler fix?

I'm geting tired of riding with my left hand on it to keep it quiet! Wink

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: How do I remove speedometer? (Nasty rattle/buz
Reply #1 - 12/11/13 at 09:18:53

This forum has a Tech Section.  If you go to that page you will see a listing at the top for "Table of Contents and Links".

For the speedometer rattle you will find this fix:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1179104436

You have to take the seat off, then remove the tank....and taking the tank off will probably require you to remove the stock petcock as it will most likely hit the frame, and you will have to disconnect the speedometer cable at the engine.  As you lift the tank up you will need to unclip the wiring harness to the speedometer....it is a bit hard to figure out how to hold the tank with two hands and unclip the wiring harness with your other two hands at the same time - but about the 10th time you do it it becomes easier.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 12/11/13 at 10:51:28

Dave, maybe you could post a video of how you did that the 11th time for us newbies. Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/11/13 at 12:24:39

S-P wrote on 12/11/13 at 10:51:28:
Dave, maybe you could post a video of how you did that the 11th time for us newbies. Grin

When my bike was stock I was jetting my carb and it seemed like I had to take the tank off every day or two.  The first time it was an advnture, then it became routine and only took about 4 minutes to have the tank off.  It became far easier once I put a Raptor petcock on - as I could leave the fuel in the tank and the petcock in place while taking the tank off.

My bike is no longer stock and I have a different gas tank, seat, speedo, etc.....and my video wouldn't help anyone!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 12/11/13 at 12:40:47

I just changed the petcock to a Raptor (piece of cake!) while I was doing the starter limiter and chain tensioner. I'm glad it is going to help with the tank removal.  I haven't attempted that yet. It sounds like a job for an octopus.  Some tricks for that would be cool if anyone has some.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/11/13 at 13:04:21

S-P wrote on 12/11/13 at 12:40:47:
I just changed the petcock to a Raptor (piece of cake!) while I was doing the starter limiter and chain tensioner. I'm glad it is going to help with the tank removal.  I haven't attempted that yet. It sounds like a job for an octopus.  Some tricks for that would be cool if anyone has some.

OK....I will expound a bit.

The seat comes off with a couple of 10mm hex head bolts near the shock mounts, and an allen screw on the back fender if you have the one piece seat.  Then you take the speedometer cable loose at the engine, then the two 10mm hex bolts at the back of the tank.  Most stock petcocks will require you to drain the tank and remove the petcock as the back side where the diaphragm is will hit the frame.  Once you have the bolts out, the hoses disconnected from the petcock, then place a thick towel on the frame where the seat used to be.  Lift the back of the tank up a few inches, and then wiggle the tank side to side while gently pulling back to get the front of the tank to wiggle loose from the rubber mounts at the front.  When the tank comes loose from the rubber mounts, then carefully rest the back of the tank on the towel, and then raise the front up a bit and you will see the wiring harness and connector that has to be unplugged.  The connector has one of those troublesome little latches that has to be released before the harness will unplug.  When it finally lets go..... you can then lift the tank off while dragging the speedometer cable along.  You will have to lay the tank upside down to get at the mounts for the speedo.....so you will be glad you drained the tank anyhow.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #6 - 12/11/13 at 13:15:24

Very cool! Thanks, Dave. You almost make me want to go pull the tank for grins.  I found out draining the tank with the old petcock isn't a fun way to spend a half hour.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 12/11/13 at 21:34:43

Brunkster, it,s been awhile since I read the rattle-stop procedure, but it seemed too complicated for someone as dumb as me. I took some black gas line (I think 2 sizes) and mounted the cut sections on the screw towers above AND below the flanges inside the speedo hole. Cut them about 1/8" too long. Reassemble taking care to see that the cable goes into the guide channel under the tank. And of course, don't loose the o-ring on the bottom of the cable. And lube the cable while it's off. 1 hour job, if you're the picky type.   Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 12/12/13 at 07:32:26

Dave, a couple quick questions. Do you HAVE to remove the speedo cable to just move the tank back to the seat area?  And, is that a sufficient move to be able to do the spark plug and valves or do you have to take the tank completely off?  Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/12/13 at 08:39:26

S-P wrote on 12/12/13 at 07:32:26:
Dave, a couple quick questions. Do you HAVE to remove the speedo cable to just move the tank back to the seat area?  And, is that a sufficient move to be able to do the spark plug and valves or do you have to take the tank completely off?  Thanks!

I am not sure if the speedo cable is flexible or long enough to allow you to set the tank back where the seat used to be.....but I know you will have to unhook the wiring harness to move the tank back.  To do the sparkplug, you can probably just get my by lifting the tank up a bit.  For the valve adjustment....you are probably going to want the tank off so you can get to that rear of the cylinder head as easily as possible.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 12/12/13 at 09:11:09

OK!  It sounds like the Raptor petcock was a good mod for the tank all around in any case. Thanks.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 12/13/13 at 10:18:09

When I removed the tank on the wife's bike, I waited until I had it lifted up to remove the wire harness and disconnected it from the tank, not the engine.
Was a little difficult, but i'm an aircraft mechanic by trade and am used to tricky cable and connector removal.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/13/13 at 10:48:59

old_rider wrote on 12/13/13 at 10:18:09:
When I removed the tank on the wife's bike, I waited until I had it lifted up to remove the wire harness and disconnected it from the tank, not the engine.
Was a little difficult, but i'm an aircraft mechanic by trade and am used to tricky cable and connector removal.

Well......you can do it the hard way if you want to....but taking the speedo cable off a the bottom is the easier way! Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 12/13/13 at 11:16:03

I always took the cable off the bottom end & got the tank up & unhooked the electrics. I was always afraid of gravity taking over, tho.,.
Remember, decide where the tank is going & how it will be set down so as to not crimp the speedo cable up. I didnt drain the tank after the first coupla times I had to pull it. As long as the petcock is okay, its not gonna leak,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 12/13/13 at 17:03:37

imo there is not enough slack to do anything without unscrewing the cable at the bottom. Also, fiddling with something with frozen hands or sweat running in your eyes is not conducive to a good job. I love a good shortcut, but slow and steady is the way to doing it right. And as mentioned, if the law of gravity takes over you can break an expensive speedometer or scratch a custom paint job. I haven't emptied my tank in a long time unless the gas was bad. My wife's heavy lawn chair makes a perfect tank holder when laid on its side.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:28:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How do I remove speedometer? (Nasty rattle/buzz)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.