Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old dog breeding saying I can't remember. (Read 85 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Old dog breeding saying I can't remember.
12/04/13 at 20:45:46

I remember hearing, from a teacher in school, a saying...
something... spoils the pregnant dog
It meant that when your prize pregnant dog was bred with a mutt she became tainted and unable to pure breed. Scientific poppycock, yes, but I can't remember the saying.
Any attempts to Google it only returns a company called "Spoil the pregnant dog" that makes dog toys.
I figure you guys have age, and possibly better memory, that I do.
Thanks!

--Steve

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Old dog breeding saying I can't remember.
Reply #1 - 12/07/13 at 08:00:49

Yeah it was about mutt male will ruin a trueblood...

was an old breeders tale....
if a male pup has brucellosis and breeds his first time he could pass it to the female and she would be ruined, kinda like giving them a genital disease that would travel to the ovaries and pass it to any pups from then on.

The saying came from the breeders...just don't remember what it was.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 12/07/13 at 20:47:26

I once bought a pure bred Lab for $50 because the owner said she had bred with her brother and was therefore ruined for breeding.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 12/08/13 at 12:14:56

Inbreeding is frowned upon and if your pup came from an inbreed lineage, you will not be able to get a "royal" pedigree.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 12/10/13 at 08:19:10

old_rider wrote on 12/08/13 at 12:14:56:
Inbreeding is frowned upon and if your pup came from an inbreed lineage, you will not be able to get a "royal" pedigree.

When I was about 12 my parents bought me a pure breadd Lassie type Collie. A few years later we decided to try and re-coup some of the cost by breeding her. Turns out the dame had breed with every sire in about 4 states around us. Not even a mont later she "invited" a cocker spaniel in th yard. Cute dern puppies... but we shut down the puppy making for her. Great dog though. In college she would go for walks with me, she would stryggle but would stay right by my side for blocks and blocks. No leash needed. Kids would come out to love on "Lassie" and she would tolerate it. Buried her in the back yard.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/10/13 at 09:29:55

I read something the other day about breeding pit bulls.
They are being bred with larger heads... so much so the mother dies during birth.
I haven't fact checked that.

My dog is a mutt, by standards, but I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Another argument I've heard is that the pureblood lineage is so far tainted that cross breeding is now required to strengthen the breed.
(e.g. German Shepherds with their hip dysplasia)

--Steve

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 12/14/13 at 07:28:42

Paraquat wrote on 12/10/13 at 09:29:55:
They are being bred with larger heads... so much so the mother dies during birth.

Another argument I've heard is that the pureblood lineage is so far tainted that cross breeding is now required to strengthen the breed.

--Steve

As in... you get skin stains at birth if your momma had a craving for strawberry cheesecake and didn't get any?

Is there a "shrugging smiley" ? Just an old wives' tale... poppycocks and all that... Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 12/14/13 at 08:36:31

When I Google it,... all I get is Rap song lyrics...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 12/16/13 at 07:23:26

mpescatori wrote on 12/14/13 at 07:28:42:
Paraquat wrote on 12/10/13 at 09:29:55:

--Steve

As in... you get skin stains at birth if your momma had a craving for strawberry cheesecake and didn't get any?

Is there a "shrugging smiley" ? Just an old wives' tale... poppycocks and all that... Wink

anecdotal I know:

My father-in-law was dariyman .. most all his life, raising and milking Holstens. All insemination was done artificial. At one point when his herd was big and he did not want any more, he began breeding using "longhorn". The holstens were be being born "very big" and the longhorns were born smaller. Since all the calfs went to the sale barn, it didnt matter what they were as long as they were easy on the cow and got the milk producing.

Point being, beeders have long gone about going for certain traits, and getting unexpected/unanticipated results. I have no interest in Pit Bulls, but I could certainly see problems with thier breeding, as illegal dog fights still abound and breeding for such fights often has NO interest in producing a better dog/bloodline other than a dog more capable of winning a fight. (sad as that is)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 12/16/13 at 07:40:24

Theres a pit that comes rollin thru here every so often. Not the biggest Ive seen, but intimidating, nonetheless. WE have a 10 pound chihuahua & a 10 pound dachshund & a 60 pound Lab/somethingelse dude. So, the little chihuahua goes to barking & getting aggressive with the pit, the weenie dog starts doin circles around it, it heads off in the brush with the little guys just givin him hell & the big dog walks AWAY..  I was terrified that the pit was gonna hurt, who am I kidding? Kill  my little lap dogs,, but Nope, no squabbles,, just left. I dont encourage strays to wander thru. I use a pellet gun to let them know this isnt a new home or even a good path towards the next one,.

AS for Mutts, the best dogs I had were. A Shepard /beagle, that dude was smart & tuff & very well mannered. Wouldnt sweep a coffee table with his tail, would greet visitors & then go lay down away from the people. He knew bad guys. He put himself between my wife & a guy who had come to visit.& he sat down & growled at him,That guy never came over again,, the weasel,,Dogs have good instincts that way,
Had a Weimereiner/Boxer. He whipped a 3 year old female pit when he was just over a year old. Sent her home, bleedin & yelping. Very good dog. Smart/loyal. It just wouldnt have done for someone to mess with my kid with that dog around. He was beautiful. Black/born with a stubb for a tail.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 01:42:44

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Old dog breeding saying I can't remember.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.